Cali Kid Corals

Polyp Poisoning.... Stupidest thing I think I've ever done.

Oxy* products (& KMnO4) are just really harsh oxidizing agents, not exactly a "toxin" persay... but hey so's ozone, so might want to toss that out too :D

As to flowing out to the bay, when I say outside drain, I'm talking about one that's hooked to your sewage system, not just the rain overflow drains on the streets. I swear as often as I see LFS emptying tank water out to the street... makes me wonder why they don't ban more things in this state other than caulerpa.

Emptying any kind of water on to the streets I'm sure is not legal in SF. We can't even wash our cars in SF on the street b/c of the run off.

Hey, if the d*mn city pretends to "clean streets" every X-day at 6:00AM and TICKETS YOU FOR PARKING ON THAT STREET, then they'd better clean the fricken street...including salt wate residue. This implies also that whatever they are cleaning the street with also goes down those drains.

Sorry, I'm bitter about the "street cleaning" because I swear the meter maids "sweep" the streets and then no street cleaning is actaully done. Too many times did I wake up at 5:30 AM, stumble to my car, drive around the block and join the army of cars following the meter maids BACK to their original parking spots and parking.

But I digress.

If you want to ensure sewage treatment versus draining-straight-to-the-bay, then dump the cleaning water in your toilet!

OR leave it outside until it evaporates and scrape the remains into something for hazardous disposal (I imagine that is 80 times more work than dumping into the sewage)

As for caulerpa, just rinse it in fresh water and toss it into a compost heap.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6287.msg80400#msg80400 date=1234380334]
Hey, if the d*mn city pretends to "clean streets" every X-day at 6:00AM and TICKETS YOU FOR PARKING ON THAT STREET, then they'd better clean the fricken street...including salt wate residue. This implies also that whatever they are cleaning the street with also goes down those drains.

Sorry, I'm bitter about the "street cleaning" because I swear the meter maids "sweep" the streets and then no street cleaning is actaully done. Too many times did I wake up at 5:30 AM, stumble to my car, drive around the block and join the army of cars following the meter maids BACK to their original parking spots and parking.

But I digress.

If you want to ensure sewage treatment versus draining-straight-to-the-bay, then dump the cleaning water in your toilet!

OR leave it outside until it evaporates and scrape the remains into something for hazardous disposal (I imagine that is 80 times more work than dumping into the sewage)

As for caulerpa, just rinse it in fresh water and toss it into a compost heap.

V

[/quote]

The reason why there is a run off law is b/c whatever goes into the drains on the street goes straight into the bay. It has nothing to do with keeping the streets clean. Any additional run off is just adding to the polution of the bay.

I often times have to cart water out of a clients place and dump it down the drain later, I'm afraid of getting busted dumping it out in the street and don't have easy access to a drain all of the time. Could you imagine the bay filled with Bryopsis, or the red poofy algae, I'd hang my head in shame if I released that type of scourge.

I just put mine in a bucket and drive it to the beach and let it swim with it's cold water marine cousins. I keep my streets clean darn it :p

Seriously though....Mine all hits the sewer via the toilet. Macro finds it's way into the covered compost pile. I have to cover my compost as a mere 1/4 mile away or so is the ocean.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6287.msg80449#msg80449 date=1234384336]
I often times have to cart water out of a clients place and dump it down the drain later, I'm afraid of getting busted dumping it out in the street and don't have easy access to a drain all of the time. Could you imagine the bay filled with Bryopsis, or the red poofy algae, I'd hang my head in shame if I released that type of scourge.
[/quote]

Was that you in the truck dumping the macro and saltwater while driving up 1? :p

flinging Bryopsis out the window driving up Highway 1. Sounds like the start of a country song :D

Wow, sorry to hear what happened, Jeff.
Glad that the family is okay. That is the most important thing.

Make sure you buy something for the Wifey and Kids from NY cause they will be thinking about this accident for a while. Hopefully Wifey wouldn't ask you to remove your reef tank.

Off topic: Are all Palys and Zoas have the same amount of Palytoxin? I know Paly's are a bit bigger in size than some zoas, but I'm not sure if the amount of toxin is the same. Also, wouldn't the live rock also has other bacteria or organism that can trigger a mass effect along with the Palytoxin too?

[quote author=zambavi link=topic=6287.msg80294#msg80294 date=1234335601]
[quote author=alve link=topic=6287.msg80291#msg80291 date=1234334919]
How is everybody doing tonight? Could you cancel your trip and stay home with the family?
[/quote]

Over the last few hours we are all starting to feel 100%. We've been on round the clock advil though so I'm sure that is helping. A solid nights rest tonight will be important. Unfortunately my NY trip was a must do due to some major meetings for our company with a few of the major Brokers in the country. Wasn't able to cancel... the flight over was not fun but now that I'm here I'm feeling nearly 100%. Gonna tank another round of advil here in about 10 minutes though. :)
[/quote]

I'm glad you and your family are feeling better. :)

Thank you for posting this because being a "newbie" myself, I had never heard of this happening until now. Hopefully many will read this and be forewarned.

oh Lyn, youre not that much of a newbie are you? i feel like im the big noob!

i've already boiled a couple of rocks of mine since i got my tank a few months ago. One to burn off a couple pieces of aiptasia and the other to burn off some hydroids.

after reading this article i'll probably never boil another rock again. definitely an eye opener.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=6287.msg80504#msg80504 date=1234398779]
OT answer: Paly's have more from what I have read.
[/quote]

In all the research I've read in the past and after the urgent research I've done over the past two days it is pretty consistent that the Paly's have more. So.... +1

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6287.msg80557#msg80557 date=1234411884]
I'm glad you and your family are feeling better. :)
Thank you for posting this because being a "newbie" myself, I had never heard of this happening until now. Hopefully many will read this and be forewarned.
[/quote]

Thanks Lyn... the past two days is the most "newbie" i've felt in a few years. I hope at least that this is a mistake I will not make again. I've always practiced the utmost caution when handling but the release of the toxin through steam is not something I had heard or read until these last two days... excluding my story.

Back