Jestersix

Is there a growing trend to eliminate filter socks?

Do you use filter socks?

• Total voters
I use filter socks and rinse them in the washing machine without bleach or soap about once or twice a week. It keeps the water from getting as discolored between water changes.

I have my mesh sock in there but I haven't cleaned it over a year. I think all sort of stuff stuff started living in there and break up larger particle that get caught in the mesh.

I abandoned socks after they get clogged all the time.

One realization is that the water still stays clear if you run a fuge. And corals seem to benefit from the extra bits that may float in the column (I don't run a skimmer either)

However, I sometimes wonder if a fine filter sock actually does good filtering out microbes like ich and such. Noticed more outbreaks and issues with infections initially

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just some wal-mart pillow stuffing in filter cups with ceramic bio media in the bottom of them. I add the stuffing for a couple days a week after cleaning glass and doing a water change.

Id say I run no filter media about 50% of the time...but I also run bare bottom, so I can suck all that detritus out.

I use them while cleaning and doing water changes. I also use the mesh variety, not the fleece kind. Once the work is done, I hose them out and hang them up to dry.

I use them intermittently
Every couple of months I really like to stir things up by blasting the rock with a hand held powerhead. I do put a sock on for that “storm”

Well this is what a quick pre-rinse of one filter sock looks like (in my garage work sink). I wash two of these about twice a week in the washing machine...

The Trigger Systems Triton sump doesn’t even allow filter socks, so maybe your tank can adjust to metabolize all that poo-water. But I would just rather remove it and double down on feedings if nutrients are low.
544997856aa0f510cac83a2b8c5b4d47.jpg

Wait, so do you buy a ~$5 pillow at Walmart so you can use the polyester stuffing as filter floss? So fun finding ways to repurpose things for our tanks isn’t it?

Nope. I paid like $8 for a huge bag of the pillow stuffing from the craft section.

The nice part is that it doesn’t make my skimmer go nuts like filter pads did.

Nope. I paid like $8 for a huge bag of the pillow stuffing from the craft section.

The nice part is that it doesn’t make my skimmer go nuts like filter pads did.
Pillow stuffing! Genius! I used to buy intank poly filter pads but then decided to try this filter floss that also costs around $8. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same stuff as pillow stuffing lol.
Blue Ribbon Pet Products ABLPLY7 Polyester Floss Bag Filter Media for Aquarium, 7-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDZ5GT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KKf7BbYHVGJSQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back