High Tide Aquatics

Randy's Red Sea Reefer 250

Day 806

First of the Black Friday purchases are streaming in. Got Avast Marine Top-Down Portals for my 60mm & 100mm Macro lens at 15% off (https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition & https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-port-xl)

So far I'm digging it. Some shots I just took today:

Homewrecker. Hasn't been a super fast grower for me and the colors still haven't come in.
View attachment 10803

This was the Homewrecker back on May 12.
View attachment 10805

WWC Helios
View attachment 10806

Walt Disney
View attachment 10807

Wow that WD is so fuzzy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 806

First of the Black Friday purchases are streaming in. Got Avast Marine Top-Down Portals for my 60mm & 100mm Macro lens at 15% off (https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-porthole-smartphone-edition & https://www.avastmarine.com/products/top-down-port-xl)

So far I'm digging it. Some shots I just took today:

Homewrecker. Hasn't been a super fast grower for me and the colors still haven't come in.
View attachment 10803

This was the Homewrecker back on May 12.
View attachment 10805

WWC Helios
View attachment 10806

Walt Disney
View attachment 10807
Dang, is that home wrecker picture taken with a microscope? They have to coin a new term; the nano frag.

Day 818: Springing a leak

I sprung a small leak in the Reefer 250 main drain yesterday. A 1 to 2 drop per second leak coming from the bulk head. I got lucky on two fronts.

First, it turned out to only be an o-ring and nothing more serious. Looks like something started to grow into the o-ring and I think I must have jostled the main drain enough to cause a small leak while I was cleaning the return pump.

Second, the Red Sea plumbing is all metric so finding replacement parts locally is near impossible. @Edgar Sandoval totally hooked me up and had a spare red Sea o-ring package in hand. Thanks Edgar!

So only a few hours downtime to clean all the plumbing and replace all the o-ring. I figure I might else well change all the o-rings since the plumbing was all taken apart.

Three years of not having been cleaned.
C8544A8B-7BE5-4762-9717-ADFD4F5E56D3.jpeg

Inside of diaphragm valve of main drain.
21D34B3E-A469-4FDD-B614-912DD440C911.jpeg

All clean!
E0272917-F4B2-4D57-9429-B46D392B525D.jpeg

Haven't posted a FTS in a while.
Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2044%2032%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2045%2011%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2045%2019%20PM.jpg

Looks great. Glad you made it out ok. I have some serious salt creep coming from mine. Maybe I should buy some o rings just in case.

Looks great. Glad you made it out ok. I have some serious salt creep coming from mine. Maybe I should buy some o rings just in case.
salt creep = very small leak already. I would strongly suggest you redo the bulkheads and or replace the o ring. I like to use silicon grease on o rings. Helps them seal and last longer.

Day 818: Springing a leak

I sprung a small leak in the Reefer 250 main drain yesterday. A 1 to 2 drop per second leak coming from the bulk head. I got lucky on two fronts.

First, it turned out to only be an o-ring and nothing more serious. Looks like something started to grow into the o-ring and I think I must have jostled the main drain enough to cause a small leak while I was cleaning the return pump.

Second, the Red Sea plumbing is all metric so finding replacement parts locally is near impossible. @Edgar Sandoval totally hooked me up and had a spare red Sea o-ring package in hand. Thanks Edgar!

So only a few hours downtime to clean all the plumbing and replace all the o-ring. I figure I might else well change all the o-rings since the plumbing was all taken apart.

Three years of not having been cleaned.
View attachment 10900

Inside of diaphragm valve of main drain.
View attachment 10901

All clean!
View attachment 10902

Haven't posted a FTS in a while.
Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2044%2032%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2045%2011%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Dec%2007%2C%203%2045%2019%20PM.jpg

Is it just me or your tank defies gravity?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I don't think I can crane my neck enough to really appreciate the tank pics.

So have you had any issues with the flame angel? Read that they some times nip at coral. Such a beautiful fish I really want one.

Pictures look normal here. Not upside down. What's wrong with your phones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Yeah...took me a while to figure out what the heck you guys were talking about because it looks fine on my phone.

Gravity should be restored now for all.

So have you had any issues with the flame angel? Read that they some times nip at coral. Such a beautiful fish I really want one.

Flame angel has been a model citizen even when I had a bunch of softies in the tank. I do fear one day he turns to the dark side though, so I keep him well fed.

Back