got ethical husbandry?

Varios-8 or Vectra L1 or ???

I need a new return pump as I’m not getting enough flow with my current jebao. It looks like the varios and the Vectra are the 2 main affordable options. Anyone have experience with either of these pumps? Or a different pump that can push about the same amount of water with a head height of around 10 feet?

I can't speak to the L1, but the Vectra pumps have served me well so far. I have had 1 M1 that's been running for over three years and a second M1 and a S1 that's been going for a year+. All without issue.

Hang on - on another post I thought you were only getting 400 GPH or so.
Is that from this 2000 GPH pump?
Jebao pumps may be cheap, but they are pretty good at pumping a lot of water.

That means more like 15 ft or more of head pressure.
Is your sump in the basement?
If not, you might have a pluming problem more than a pump problem.

I am not sure a pump in the same general class will fix anything.
At that rate, you will need a more pressure rated pump.
Maybe a PanWorld 200 PS
Unfortunately, those slurp a lot of power and are external.
I am not sure any moderate sized internal pressure rated pumps exist.

I’m getting between 270 and 280 gph with that pump. The sump is in my garage. Probably 6 feet lower than the return line, 1 90 degree bend, 4 45 degree bends, and about 9 feet horizontally. 1 inch return line.

30DB2E52-70B2-44C8-B130-3E3C29B93CCB.png

I’ve been running both the L1 and M1 for a little over a year now and I havent had any issues with them. They are both dead silent and push more than enough water for my system. IME varios pumps don’t last very long and can’t handle head pressure as well as the ecotechs.

Ok, makes sense.
6 ft of head, plus around 15 feet of pipe, plus a bunch of bend, all at 1".
The problem : As GPH goes up, so does friction in the pipe. (square of velocity)

Ideas:
Going to 1.5" pipe.
dual pumps with dual returns.
Raising sump in garage.

So what's the max flow on the DCT8000? I assume 8000 from the metric system as in liters at 0-head pressure.
Solid AC performers, Mag 12 (~1200gph), Eheim 1262 (~900gph)
The Mag adds more heat to the water but pays off by the heaters not working overtime.

I have a Mag 24 from one of the members that had to take down his tank due to personal reasons; you are welcome to try this big pump; have it in San Francisco but I have to go down to Santa Clara to pick up a CO2 tank (Still need to have them call me since it needed to be tested/stamped); I could meet you at Neptune's

Also if you consider at any time a BIG external pump, I have a few; among these, a Reeflo Tarpon and a Hammerhead or Barracuda. One of them was used on a 180+ tank, sump being remote in the garage.

Hmmm. The Mag 24 could work actually. It’s a submersible pump, right? I’m not sure I’m ready to switch to an external pump right now, although they do seem to have some good performance.

I can hear my ro/di booster pump in the house when it’s running in the garage. If the Mag24 is fairly loud, it might defeat some of the purpose of having the sump in the garage.

Ok, makes sense.
6 ft of head, plus around 15 feet of pipe, plus a bunch of bend, all at 1".
The problem : As GPH goes up, so does friction in the pipe. (square of velocity)

Ideas:
Going to 1.5" pipe.
dual pumps with dual returns.
Raising sump in garage.
All of these options would be pretty difficult. I could swap to 1.5 inch pipe, but I’d have to reduce it at the bulkhead. Dual pumps would be tough based on the return line being in the overflow. And raising the sump would be hard given the setup. At most, I think that would gain maybe 2 feet.

It could all be based on how my return line plumbing is done inside the overflow box. And unfortunately, I don’t see a real good way to change that either. It’s super crowded in the overflow. Although I could cut it from 3 return lines to 2, and plug one of the holes. I’m not sure how much that would help though.

I disagree about the varios not being reliable. The one running my tank is 3 years old and runs perfect. It’s been cleaned no more than every 6 months though.

Back