got ethical husbandry?

Quarantine

so in a strictly QT you would run copper even if the fish appear healthy?
There’s about a million different ways to run a QT setup. Some just separate and observe. Some proactively treat with copper. Some do copper plus a number of other meds for other types of infections. Some run snails, coral, and other inverts fallow for 76 days as well. At the end of the day, I think you need to look at all the options and decide on what’s best for you.

i just want to select fish, put them in my QT for a month to see if they're ok, then introduce them
Ok, so basically make a second tank then. Put some places to hide, either live rock or the fake plastic decorations, throw on a pinwheel filter (like Penguin), heater, and call it a day.

The only thing you're really doing is doing an extension of the fish at the store if they're anything but new arrival fish.

Hello all,
I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks and it obvious there’s some value to be had by becoming a member so I paid the dues and signed up today. I’m relative novice although I’ve read A LOT about this hobby. I’ve come up against my first real issue today. I have a watchman goby who seems to have an issue (I’m guessing bacterial) that started on its nose, as if it ran into live rock and cut itself which is now spreading towards it gills. I’ve tried attaching photos but the site won’t take them for some reason.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where I can view examples of common issues and solutions related to bacterial diseases?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello all,
I’ve been following this thread for a few weeks and it obvious there’s some value to be had by becoming a member so I paid the dues and signed up today. I’m relative novice although I’ve read A LOT about this hobby. I’ve come up against my first real issue today. I have a watchman goby who seems to have an issue (I’m guessing bacterial) that started on its nose, as if it ran into live rock and cut itself which is now spreading towards it gills. I’ve tried attaching photos but the site won’t take them for some reason.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where I can view examples of common issues and solutions related to bacterial diseases?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Are you posting from a computer or a tablet or a phone? I can always post pictures with my iPad but run into problems with my phone.

DE1BADFF-BE47-48BE-8A66-A92C32C94A82.jpeg
4FB84ADC-F4E0-436E-8BC6-09917FA5CD31.jpeg

Is two weeks long enough to quarantine new livestock?

For what QT does, yes.

QT improves the odds that you will detect a sick fish, and it keeps a potentially sick fish out
of the main tank, so disease does not spread and you can possibly deal with the disease.
Very important, but that is all it does.

QT does not cure fish diseases.
QT does not guarantee that all diseases will be spotted.

Longer than 2-3 weeks does not result in a cure.
Longer does increase the odds you will see a disease.
But longer increases the odds that you will stress the fish due to water quality issues.
So a tradeoff.

+1 on using TTM.

First link showed goby with mouth growth. Said waiting for 2 pics to load.
Second link showed pink rock with small soft coral. Said waiting for 1 pic.

Back