got ethical husbandry?

Little disaster...

Ok apparently small portable generators are not that expensive, at least compared to the vortech battery, might have to look into those more when I have some time

Ok apparently small portable generators are not that expensive, at least compared to the vortech battery, might have to look into those more when I have some time

I have a 2kw honda generator that I keep specifically for the tank during power outages. I currently am planning on setting up my Apex to auto start the generator when there is an outage. Probably wait for 30 mins before actually firing up the generator.

don't be completely down, the 120 reef I donated to Los Paseos Elementary had a power outage over Thanksgiving. 4-5 days of mid 50s water. While all the fish, RBTA and Xenia died, Everything else survived. Ricodia, Muchrooms, Zoas, 2 large colonies of Frogspawn, galaxia, snails, crabs. 3 months later, while there are only 4 fish in there now.

I got this little generator if you ever need it.
9cbe8a92674e628512b8f81306ec73bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much more money is a dead tank worth to you? $200? $500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is the point where I am. I may have only paid about $300 for the 20+ fish in my tank but replacing them is close to $1k and that's not even accounting for corals or my huge black widow anemone. I have a system for power outages, it's ghetto and hands on but if I didn't work from home, $1k+ for a backup generator (that can work for more than just the tank) is worth the peace of mind. Just like having an apex.

Got a new unused 3500 watt Champion generator to sell if you’re interested.

I got it “just in case”, but have never had an extended power outage here in Alameda for the 34 years I’ve been here.

Probably jinxed myself typing that though.

Morning before headed to install some appliances, stopped to check...
It's easier to count what survived than counting casualties.
BG Digitata
Spongodes
Red Cap Monti

Chalices gone
Geneva's Green/Yellow
Alien Eye
Mummy Eye
Bubble Gum Monster
Grape Watermelon
Miamy Hurricane
Red Watermelon
Unknown Blue with Pink eyes
Rainbow Chalice

Montis besides what's listed above; among these Rainbow, Seasons Greetings, Superman and couple more

Sticks WD, Red Planet, Blue Tort, Tri-color Valida, Jason Fox something few mire I have no recall of the name right now and some wild ones from Neptune

LPS took a hit; rainbow acans, Frogspawn. Duncans seem to be well but stressed

Fish all accounted for.

Stomatella snails RIP as so lots of bristle-worms; trochus are mowing the algae on the glass...

Mario, if you want to go to the frag swap, I've got your entry frags covered. I can bring you a piece of Miami hurricane also.

Its the least I can do for the tank you gave me.

Got a new unused 3500 watt Champion generator to sell if you’re interested.

I got it “just in case”, but have never had an extended power outage here in Alameda for the 34 years I’ve been here.

Probably jinxed myself typing that though.
Might be a possibility, need to research first though. Was looking at the ones at costco, home depot, only thing I came to a conclusion is every little extra feature ends up costing a lot more money :D

How much more money is a dead tank worth to you? $200? $500?
Kind of a loaded question, because right now... not much. Back when I had my 180g tank that got in a UK reef keeping magazine a little more. but I will say most of that tank even was "free" from being a BAR member as I grew small frags out into colonies. Lifestyle has to come into consideration too, my job doesn't keep me away from home at 8 hour stretches, and I am 10 minutes from home if necessary, no someone who may commute an hour and is away from home for most of the daylight hours, yeah that person might want a little extra insurance.

I am curious though, how does your Apex turn on the generator if the power goes out? Do you have a UPS powering the head unit?

Back