Jestersix

Fish Stores Worth Going To?

Hey, I have some free time this week and always go to Neptune Aquatics. I was wondering if there are any other stores in the Bay Area that are worth going to to check out. I am open to any recommendations and maybe what they are best at. Thanks!

+1 on Bruce’s post.

Ed @ Clearwater is great. Small selection but very knowledgeable and passionate about the hobby, cool and not stuffy, and will get you anything you desire at very fair pricing. Ed has talked me out of expensive purchases (fish & dry goods) and always takes the time to properly educate me (even if it means spending more or less money), I feel I get straight and informed answer from Ed.
I think Clearwater is a BAR Sponsor also ;) (which encourages me to spend money with them, because they spend money on us).

I’d also add Madhu @ Violet Sea Fish & Coral. A small saltwater & reef store in San Jose with limited hours. Madhu is also very knowledgeable and his passion for saltwater/ reefing shows. The thing that stands out too me the most is also the most noteworthy; Madhu QT’s everything for a decent period of time before he offers them for sale. I can’t speak to the exact methods or timeframe but he’ll explain in detail if you’d like. This greatly reduces the chance of you purchasing a fish with a disease and ensures that the fish are eating (the first and most important step in adapting to captivity for most fish). Also, his prices are among the best out there.
Not sure if Violet Sea Fish & Coral is a BAR sponsor? (Anyone know where I find the current/definitive list of BAR Sponsors?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding on Madhu's QT is he just observes the fish and the time varies. I have pressed him on his procedures before and he's very evasive about it. On the other hand Bay Bridge has a huge investment in a room with an impressive QT and tracking set-up. I frankly don't understand how he can make money.

My understanding on Madhu's QT is he just observes the fish and the time varies. I have pressed him on his procedures before and he's very evasive about it. On the other hand Bay Bridge has a huge investment in a room with an impressive QT and tracking set-up. I frankly don't understand how he can make money.
I know that Madhu used to perform TTM when he was working out of his home. His fish were healthy and eating.
I also agree about Bay Bridge....impressive QT and healthy fish.

Back