Jestersix

Parameter Question

I have a 105 with numerous corals and do a 20 gallon water change weekly with reef crystals as my salt. I test my water and my Calcium is 900 and my Kh is 8.4--very steady. I don't understand why my Kh doesn't drop throughout the week, with the corals likely using it up?

I know the important thing is to keep the levels stable, but it doesn't seem like I even need to dose?

Thanks

Calcium of 900 doesn't sound accurate..Reef Crystals usually has a higher ALK level after mixing...9.5-11DKH

Your ca is not 900 I’d say...how often do you test alk? Reef crystals mixes up about 9.5 for me so weekly water change is likely keeping it up for now.

What type of corals do you mostly have? I have --ummm -- a hundred or so corals in my LPS tank and I don't have to dose at all if I do any sort of water change. The SPS tank on the other hand uses plenty of calc, alk and mag. I think people overestimate the need of LPS and softies.

It’s still a little strange that he’s changing about 20% of his volume with something that is higher in alk. Even if his corals are using up next to none of it he should still see a bump every time he does a wc.

Have you tested the alk right before and right after a wc?

Make sure your test kit is good. They expire and sometimes go wonky.

Test your fresh salt water before the water change to see if it reads higher.

If the new saltwater is higher, Test tank before and after a water change to see if there is any change.

If your corals aren't growing, they aren't consuming anything.

Back