Kessil

Glass Scraper

I’m with @JVU. That’s the one I used too. Blade side almost exclusively. I think the only time you need to be careful is around the sand bed. If you get a grain of sand in between it, then it will for sure scratch, doesn’t matter what side.

I use the blade attachment on the Algae Free brand tiger shark float. Never had a problem...unless I get sand caught up in it.

Flipper, mainly because the blade side sits on a few little bumps at the back so sand falls out more easily. Mag floats are harder to get sand out of. I also use an actual razor blade in my tank regularly without issue*.

On tanks I have in Texas. Obviously my current display is very scratched, but it came to me like that.

I have both the flipper and the Tunze. The Tunze is much better than the flipper. One scrape of the Tunze get off more than 5 scrapes with the flipper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the Flipper but it frustrated me that they put the blade and scrubber pad on opposite sides. If they just put them on the same side you would not have to deal with that nerve-wracking flipping task. Also at some point the blade got bent and enough of the bend carried over to the replacement blades, so only half the blade makes contact with glass anymore. No scratches but I don’t have sand and don’t leave the magnet in my tank when not in use.

So recently I bought the Algae Free (Hammerhead) magnet. Finally someone designed it right and put the scrubber pad and blade on the same side! Also unlike the Flipper it floats and has a nice wooden exterior. The blade isn’t as wide but maybe that helps with contact to glass. It comes with an alternate acrylic scrubber pad and plastic blade so you can use it on either but I use it on glass.

I’d be interested to try the Tunze, I like the design. Does anyone in the vicinity of Walnut Creek have the Strong or Strong+ versions I could borrow to try?

Flipper...Watch our for scratches.
Mag float + razor blade is my current choice, though my arm has to get wet :/

This is the best scraper I ever used

Segarty Fish Tank Scraper, Stainless Steel Algea Scraper Razor with 10 Blades Cleaner Tool Kit for Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Plant Grass, 25.6'' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KFZF7W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TOfDCb0RN2EE7

Slices like hour knife on butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have one of these, or something awfully similar. Watch out for the silicone seams. Also, the blade will rust and it’s not exactly a Magfloat, but it does work.

I have the Flipper but it frustrated me that they put the blade and scrubber pad on opposite sides. If they just put them on the same side you would not have to deal with that nerve-wracking flipping task. Also at some point the blade got bent and enough of the bend carried over to the replacement blades, so only half the blade makes contact with glass anymore. No scratches but I don’t have sand and don’t leave the magnet in my tank when not in use.

So recently I bought the Algae Free (Hammerhead) magnet. Finally someone designed it right and put the scrubber pad and blade on the same side! Also unlike the Flipper it floats and has a nice wooden exterior. The blade isn’t as wide but maybe that helps with contact to glass. It comes with an alternate acrylic scrubber pad and plastic blade so you can use it on either but I use it on glass.
Why are you using the non blade side at all? I use the blade side exclusively with success. Not having the pad on the blade side puts more load on the blade.

Back