Jestersix

Any Idea Why My Zoanthids are lookink this bad?

Hi,
I have a quick question to see if you guys might have any ideas what is wrong with my zoanthids.
They look like the ones in this image:
zoa-polyp-problem.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rak-06Dkbd4VWIrETMRhraP-Jju58o3J/view?usp=sharing
Not sure why some of them they look like they have wrinkles and some polyps they look like they have a jelly thing on top of the coral (if you look in the image the bigger zoa polyp that is in the button has that jelly thing on top of the polyp.).

All my zoanthids are close :)
Here are my water parameters:
Tempreture: 76.3
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.32
Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 0.00
Nitrate: 0.30
Calcium: 425
Alkalinity: 11.1
Magnesium: 1460

YOur parameters look good now, but they were BAD recently. Corals will not go immediately back to normal. Salinity at 1.030 and alk at 14 for how long? It's going to take a few weeks maybe I'd say.

Agreed. It also doesn’t help that Zoas are pretty difficult to keep happy. If they look like this is 2 weeks then I’d do some furan2 dips. Maybe even some revive. But just let time fo it’s thing.

I have a ton of Zoas and I always have 1 or 2 colony’s or frags that look like crap while the others are great. I just let time do it’s thing. Honestly, sometimes it takes 6 months for things to go back to “normal”

They look like snake polyps. Do you know what type of zoas you have? As others have said, try to maintain your current water parameters.

Hi,
I have a quick question to see if you guys might have any ideas what is wrong with my zoanthids.
They look like the ones in this image:
View attachment 11169
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rak-06Dkbd4VWIrETMRhraP-Jju58o3J/view?usp=sharing
Not sure why some of them they look like they have wrinkles and some polyps they look like they have a jelly thing on top of the coral (if you look in the image the bigger zoa polyp that is in the button has that jelly thing on top of the polyp.).

All my zoanthids are close :)
Here are my water parameters:
Tempreture: 76.3
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.32
Ammonia: 0.10
Nitrite: 0.00
Nitrate: 0.30
Calcium: 425
Alkalinity: 11.1
Magnesium: 1460
You have cyano as well. Use a turkey Baster to blast it off. Can you share a tank picture, if they are in high flow are , that can cause. History ? How long they have been like this ? How old is the tank

YOur parameters look good now, but they were BAD recently. Corals will not go immediately back to normal. Salinity at 1.030 and alk at 14 for how long? It's going to take a few weeks maybe I'd say.
Wow I can't believe a stupid Hydrometer made me do so much damage to my tank now in the beginning.
The tank has been setup about 5 weeks ago. and I would say the zoantis have been there for about 2 weeks.

I bought the tank from somebody so the water and the rocks ware already in the tank.

The sad part is that I even hired somebody to come and test my water and check the system, but he never tested the salinity with his device... And he did not tell me about the alkalinity potential issue.

I guess my 2 troucus snails 3 astrid snail and shrimp died because of the high salinity and alkalinity then.

Agreed. It also doesn’t help that Zoas are pretty difficult to keep happy. If they look like this is 2 weeks then I’d do some furan2 dips. Maybe even some revive. But just let time fo it’s thing.

I have a ton of Zoas and I always have 1 or 2 colony’s or frags that look like crap while the others are great. I just let time do it’s thing. Honestly, sometimes it takes 6 months for things to go back to “normal”
You mean I have to use this: https://www.marinedepot.com/API_Fur...icals_API_MARS_Fishcare-AP1831-FIMEBF-vi.html on a zoa coral dip?

Not now though. You need to let the tank run stable for a month. If they die, they die...but they’ll probably hold out for you and fix themselves.

The furan 2 dip is pretty advanced...do not run your whole tank with it. IE do not follow directions. This dip is for zoa pox, which you don’t have; and also for other fungal issues...which you may have. But you ha e to let the tank stabilize first.

Please just wait a month to see how they do. It’s better to give them stability than to stress them out.

You have cyano as well. Use a turkey Baster to blast it off. Can you share a tank picture, if they are in high flow are , that can cause. History ? How long they have been like this ? How old is the tank

Also a good point. If that stuff on the zoas blows off easy, then it’s cyano and definitely do not furan dip. It would be completely unnecessary.

your gonna wanna use chemiclean to get rid of all the cyano, IME just blowing it off with a baster doesnt work as it grows bafck within a few days

Cyano growing on top of them is not a good sign.

It is odd that you have detectable ammonia. Did you recently add more fish, extra feeding?
Perhaps something else died.

+1 on it simply taking time for things to recover.

You may want to test Phosphates. Cyano growth is common when that is high.

My suggestions:
Weekly large-ish water changes. As you do that, try to siphon cyano.
Carbon in a media bag. Not a lot though.
Keep parameters stable. (Even if not perfect)
Patience.

1) New tank, not yet stable (presence of ammonia),
2) I suspect the zoas are unhappy, resulting in stuff growing on them, not the other way around.
3) Nitrate seems low for keeping zoas happy. I've run near zero before, but it's easier IMO when it's a bit higher. Of course you don't want to feed more until you get that ammonia under control.
4) Stability and time.

They actually don't look like they're in any immediate danger. Angry, but not melting or anything. Assuming you can keep parameters stable and there's a decent amount of flow in the tank, patience should yield results.

Back