Our mission

PSA: 3D-printed RFG from eBAY

Just a quick PSA...

I bought a pair of RFGs on eBay awhile back that indicated 3D printed (they all are, btw) and showed a picture of the VCA ones. When I got it, I didn't think much of it that it was a tad different since the RFG plans are available online.

However, I decided to buy a similar sized ones that I know are proper VCA issued RFGs and compare the two sets side by side. They are indeed different so wanted to put it out there for anyone considering some via eBay. The seller is based out of Union City.

Appearance: The VCA ones are long with a skinnier neck so likely creates more of a venturi affect than the eBay (calling this "generic" from here on).

Use: I ran the two sets side by side using a Y splitter... along with running the sump a bit dry to create micro bubbles to help visualize the flow. The RFG ones have consistent flow through out and very noticeable swirling... The generic one seem to favor flow on one side and really didn't add that much randomness to output.

So a bit of buyer beware...

Pic of flow patterns
fbfcf4e5e510c88015dd9b28d0bc3060.jpg
3367cf49b6c970927b93d84430b1d423.jpg

I also cleaned out the bit of surface algae on the generic one to make sure that wasn't the issue and still same results, BTW.

The design the ebay guy is using has a commercial restriction. I spoke with the designer and I have sole permission to print and sell this design and the designer gets a cut of each sale. The seller in Union City is committing Intellectual Property theft by selling this without permission from the designer (Cleven).

The Vortex Flow Generator nozzle (generic) requires more flow for a similar flow pattern since it is a wider design than the RFG nozzle from VCA (who I also talk to and am on good terms with).

Also, the VFG (generic) is designed on the Loc Line brand of loc line, other brands have varying diameters so they don't all fit. This is why I don't sell the nozzles individually but I also print loc line to go with it. I know VCA has started including genuine loc line with their nozzles to avoid this issue as well.

Is there open-sourced design similar to VCA? I printed same short version from thingiverse and not impressed at all - same issue as yours - flow on one side, no randomness...
Definitely not for sale

The Vortex Flow Generator nozzle (generic) requires more flow for a similar flow pattern since it is a wider design than the RFG nozzle from VCA (who I also talk to and am on good terms with).

Also, the VFG (generic) is designed on the Loc Line brand of loc line, other brands have varying diameters so they don't all fit. This is why I don't sell the nozzles individually but I also print loc line to go with it. I know VCA has started including genuine loc line with their nozzles to avoid this issue as well.

That makes sense -- was what I was wondering when I realized the difference in length and size. The VFG\generic never really performed that well. Might just relegate it to my IM 20 which have two tunze pumps for each nozzle. Hopefully that will make up the difference.

The super shady part about the Union guy is that he posts a pic of the VCA RFG in his listing... so even if I were unaware that he is violating IP, it's still false advertising.

That makes sense -- was what I was wondering when I realized the difference in length and size. The VFG\generic never really performed that well. Might just relegate it to my IM 20 which have two tunze pumps for each nozzle. Hopefully that will make up the difference.

The super shady part about the Union guy is that he posts a pic of the VCA RFG in his listing... so even if I were unaware that he is violating IP, it's still false advertising.
Yeah, I contacted VCA about that too. Ebay drags their feet with dealing with these issues.

VCA got the idea from the generic design (which was different back then), designed his own and did a lot of testing on his own to improve the design. When I first started printing the VFG (generic), there were some accusations of one ripping off the design of the other but I've talked to both guys extensively and I've seen how they both evolved.

VCA makes quality stuff and put in a lot of time and effort in testing. He's also a legitimate business. I don't ever discourage people from buying their stuff.

@grizfyrfyter -- one mystery that always bother me is why RFGs spew bubble every so often (sometime regularly spaced). Any words of enlightenment?

Is it just a function of bubbles building up as a result of back pressure \ flow? Or a function of the flow rate through the RFGs? (units well submerged below surface)

Mine pull air through the eductor slots when close to the surface. I don't get air bubbles any other time. Maybe air is collecting in your plumbing somewhere and being forced out when it reaches a certain volume?

now that i am watching it closely from the side, I noticed that a tiny vortex is being created periodically and then it gets pulled through the vents on the side... interesting. Only one of the two is doing this. They're both on separate pumps set to the exact flow rate...

I have them mounted to my IM 20 nozzles so everything is symmetric to the best of my knowledge...

BTW -- I wound up abusing the "generic" RFGs... shoved them onto the ball of the stock nozzle socket. Now I see why it's locline only. I thought it looked close enough to be a locline or locline compatible ball... whoops. not quite. At least I won't take them off so won't fatgues the cracks too much

Back