Jestersix

4 weeks out of the country. What do I do?

EasyBay Newbie

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have my tank up and running with the following livestock:
- 2 small clowns
- 3 hermit crabs (The cheap ones, not blue, not emerald)
- 3 Trochus snails
AAANND I need to go to Japan fo work Mid-April to Mid-May. There will be nobody at home but I have neighbors who can lend a hand if something happens, although they know nothing about fish tanks. I have a description of the equipment I'm using in the link above and I came up with a plan on how to keep everyone alive during this time. No corals so I believe I should be OK.

Water quality: I'm planning on doing a few 50% water change during the 2 weeks before I leave to have nitrates at 0. I'm using HW salt with RO/DI water.
ATO: I go through a 5 gallon bucket every 6 days. I purchased a 44 gal Brute, which I'll setup this weekend. I'll rinse it with TAP and scrub with a new cold-water washed micro-towel. Then wash with vinegar and finally rinse twice with RO/DI. I have an optical level sensor in the ATO reservoir to let me know when I run low and turn off the osmolator
Skimmer: It doesn't produce much with only 2 clowns and small feedings. I have an optical sensor that will shut it off if the cup is full
Heater redundancy: 2 150W heaters on 2 different EB832. In addition to a Max/Min, I have a condition where if the temp probe reads too low, it'll shut them off. The heaters also have internal thermostat set to 79 (slightly higher than the Apex)
Feeding: 1x Eheim feeder. I'm planning on feeding 2x/day and using the time of day feature on the Apex to shut down the return and skimmer during that time. Hikari premium for the fish with a small quantity of Hikari seaweed to help the snails
Remote monitoring: Seneye reef + Apex + 1 Nest Camera
House safety: Apex leak sensors that will shutdown pumps/ATO when triggered, GFCI outlets, Titanium ground probe
Electric outages: Apex setup plugged in the UPS, 12V Apex adaptor plugged in the outlet to detect power outages. If the power goes off, everything but the 2 powerheads stop. Then the UPS is drained, a battery bubbler starts. My panel is on the outside of the house and a neighbor can reset it. I also have a UPS for the wifi/network.
Human access: Remote accessible door locks and alarm system. 2 neighbors agreed to come in and be guided if something needs to happen.

get the biggest ATO reservoir you can or have your neighbors refill for you. Really the biggest thing that will carry you through -- that an an autofeeder. And don't be like me and change water at 2AM the night before your trip...things happen or you forget something in my case. So, if it ain't broke, don't muck with it

get the biggest ATO reservoir you can or have your neighbors refill for you. Really the biggest thing that will carry you through -- that an an autofeeder. And don't be like me and change water at 2AM the night before your trip...things happen or you forget something in my case. So, if it ain't broke, don't muck with it
what makes you want to do water change the night before your trip? dont you like.. have to pack?

Simple option is to hire someone to maintain tank. There are club members and others.

Key things:
Run in automatic mode for several weeks before you leave, to test things.
Do not do any big changes just before you leave.
Feed lightly when you are gone.
I would NOT shut down returns or skimmer automatically when you feed.
Risky. Use sinking pellets or a feeding ring instead.

Consider using 2 or more auto-feeders, each at lower rate. Then food will not be an issue.

A large ATO is key, sounds like you have that covered.

You can add a skimmate-locker and neck cleaner to handle skimmer longer term.
Or you can simply turn it off. Seems you are fairly lightly loaded.
I would not simply let it run until full though. That would be bad.

If you doing the auto feeder, test it few days before to make sure the programming worked. And tape it down to your tank if it’s a freestanding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi everyone, some replies.
Hire an expert to come in once a week.
For 2 clowns in a largely automated and monitored system? That seems a bit excessive?
get the biggest ATO reservoir you can
Got a 44 gallon brute can. I current use 4.5gal/6 days so in theory I should have 20+ gallons remaining when I'm back.
do you have an automatic feeder?
Yes, the Eheim everyday fish feeder. I use it to feed in the morning (I feed frozen at night). I was going to change it to 2x/day
what makes you want to do water change the night before your trip?
I don't think I'll do right the night before the trip. Probably the last water change a few days before I leave in case I need to correct anything. So if I leave Monday, change the water Friday night.
Run in automatic mode for several weeks before you leave, to test things.
I'm installing the ATO 44 gallon brute can this weekend but it has been running off a 5 gallon bucket for 4 months. The feeder feeds 1x/day and I do frozen at night. Should I make the feeder do 2x/day more than a week before I leave?
I would NOT shut down returns or skimmer automatically when you feed.
I'll get a ring, good idea!
Consider using 2 or more auto-feeders, each at lower rate. Then food will not be an issue.
Good idea, just ordered a 2nd feeder + 2 rings.
I would not simply let it run until full though. That would be bad.
Can you explain why? I doubt the skimmer will fill with my load. It's a Reef Octopus Essence S-130. Based on my current load and fill rate, I don't expect the cup to be at more than 50% capacity. The optical sensor is mostly in case it fills with water, then it's shut off.
And tape it down to your tank if it’s a freestanding one.
It's the Eheim everyday feeder. It has a screw to keep the pressure on but I'll tape just in case.

I missed the note on the optical sensor on skimmer.
If you are sure your skimmer shuts off when full, then leave it on.
What you don't want is for it to overflow and send concentrated pollutants into your tank all at once.

Sounds like you should be ok to me.

If you are sure your skimmer shuts off when full,
It does, it filled multiple times with water when I was cycling the tank so this is one fail safe I'm confident in :) I actually have 2 sensors in there because it used to happen often. 1 will shut it down from the apex, the 2nd one shuts it down from the power dongle I have between the apex and the skimmer power cord.
Thanks for your advice!

Hi everyone, some replies.

It's the Eheim everyday feeder. It has a screw to keep the pressure on but I'll tape just in case.

Tape the feed door in place. I left for 1 week to Hawaii... came back to soup. Either someone mess with it (my work tank) while I was gone...or door slid open. Likely the former but I tape all my doors now on the advice of others here on BAR.

maybe put a web cam on the tank so you can check up on it while you are gone. Also if your neighbor sees something wrong they can show you on the cam?

Get wyze, it’s 25 bucks and there’s an app that let you view it anywhere in the world. It even worked in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I avoid getting a cam for my tanks... would stress me out... and people at hotel would think I am being abused "NO! NO! OMFG! NO!" as i watch my tank go south

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I superglued the feed slider on my auto feeder. Didn’t trust that at all. With so few inhabitants in your tank, you may have to add a piece of plastic to block part of the hole too. Otherwise it will likely dump way too much food in.

Hiring someone that knows what they are doing to come weekly would be worth it to me to avoid worrying about it. They could empty the skimmer, check food supplies, and fill the ATO reservoir at the very least.

I think @ofzakaria knows a guy wo can take care of your tank for you. His name is Mr. D.
Whatever you do, do not use this guy called darshan from blissfull blue aquatics. Thats the best advice I can give:)
Whoever you choose make sure you know what's their experience level by seeing their system with your own eyes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back