Jestersix

Wxm vs Reeflink

I’m sure this topic has been broached before but I wanted to get the opinions of BAR members. I currently have a reeflink and use it to control my xr30 radions and mp10. When my 70g is up and running, I will be setting up an apex along with 2 radions, an mp40 and mp10. I was leaning on sticking with reeflink but wanted to double check if there’s any additional benefit to controlling ecotech products through apex via wxm? If its the same thing with just a diff interface then I probably won’t bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm very interested in this as well. I like the thought of the two MP-40's being controlled by Apex for maintenance and feed cycles. Giving one command is easier than two, one voice and one with reef link.

i'm very interested in this as well. I like the thought of the two MP-40's being controlled by Apex for maintenance and feed cycles. Giving one command is easier than two, one voice and one with reef link.
but its going to take 1 apex server crash to take your entire reef offline.

Also since you already have the reef link, why not just leave it asis and control them separated?

Last edited:
but its going to take 1 apex server crash to take your entire reef offline.

Also since you already have the reef link, why not just leave it asis and control them separated?

Are server crashes common? I was having the same debate due to Reeflink connection issues. But I figured that once the MP’s are dialed in, I’ll just leave everything alone.

Are server crashes common? I was having the same debate due to Reeflink connection issues. But I figured that once the MP’s are dialed in, I’ll just leave everything alone.

Thats a good question. I never have any issues with reeflink (knock on wood), so thats why I’m leaning towards the mentality of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”, unless wxm is just so much better.

IMO it doesn't matter if they are common it's what happens when they do happen whether common or not. Will something happen such that the pumps stop working? Or will they simply stay on whatever the last mode was?

Because power outages are not common but the whole power sensing features are touted as reefsavers.

Most equipment will continue to function when a server crashes, you just don't have remote access.

Neptune's recent server crash causing our units to reset to reestablish connection is just stupid. Hopefully they understand the mistake and it doesn't happen again. It rattled a lot of peoples faith in the equipment.

IMO it doesn't matter if they are common it's what happens when they do happen whether common or not. Will something happen such that the pumps stop working? Or will they simply stay on whatever the last mode was?

Because power outages are not common but the whole power sensing features are touted as reefsavers.
So apex will send you an alert if there’s a power outage? I thought since it runs on power too that it wouldn’t be able to alert you. Does it have backup batteries?

So apex will send you an alert if there’s a power outage? I thought since it runs on power too that it wouldn’t be able to alert you. Does it have backup batteries?
You certainly can set it up that way, but much like many features the Apex is capable of doing it requires more equipment than what comes out of the box, in this case some way to keep some power on to the unit even if it's temporary, as well as power to your router (UPS is common) just enough to allow to send out a "help" email, so doesn't need to be enough to run the tank at all.

If you're curious about the specifics you absolutely can ask Vincent at the Apex Q&A they're having in April. Or maybe some others here can let you know how they do it.

Apex has a feature called heartbeat. It will notify you if your apex gets disconnected from the cloud services. If the power goes out or your internet drops service, you will get a notification.

Apex has a feature called heartbeat. It will notify you if your apex gets disconnected from the cloud services. If the power goes out or your internet drops service, you will get a notification.
Man that is definitely useful. Hope they sort out that network/device reset issue though. Scary for apex users.

Back