Kessil

Rockin' with my clams out..

New maximas i picked up today from my local pusher...

Pink in the
SmartSelect_20190331-195859_Messages.jpg
SmartSelect_20190331-195936_Messages.jpg
mantles...

I got these for a helluva deal... so promised not to say as the shop was gonna raise prices tomorrow as the priced too low today. Still, i think it is better than any LFS around. I paid $50 on a deal at Clear Water last week for 1.5" on a 2 for $100 deal. I was not much north for a 6" with phenomenal colors today....

i would like to add one, but not sure about the care. Are they filter feeders? If water parameters are good they will thrive? Is there an ideal placement--I assume they don't travel?

They filter feed and are photosynthetic... so both.

I've had terrible luck with small ones. Fingers crossed on these big maximas.

Figure if my tank can sustain flame scallops, it would do ok on the filter feeding part at least

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

meaning clams love to suck up those dosed elements, and if memory serves not in the exact same proportions that corals do.

That said blast them with light and you're good to go. Arnold used to have a crap ton of clams in his 120, probably one of the reasons why he doesn't need a protein skimmer.

generally speaking, if you can grow sps you can probably care for a clam. For the first few months watch your Alk and Cal levels as they will drop with a large number of clams.

I've been trying this Sea Lab 28 stuff in my tank that is suppose to dose Ca+ plus a few other bits through dissolution. It claims that it does so only as needed based on water chemistry.

I think the truth is somewhere between that and it purely just formulated to dissolve over time in either case. Folks who use it swear by it and have stated Ca+ is very stable in the 400+ range. So figured I would give it a try.

Had some issues with mixing this stuff and some ich treatment... perhaps coincidence. But using it by itself in 2 other tanks seem to be fine. time will tell

Grrrr... Just noticed that there's a hitchhiking aiptasia on one of my clams.

Might have to move one of my filefish into the tank to help with that since I can't use my aiptasia-cooking soldering iron for this one. Doubt the clam would be happy to be burned with a soldering iron, even if it's on the shell...

Is the clam attached to any thing permanent? pull the clam and scrape off the aptasia with a blade and then scrape the shell a bit too make sure there's no offending material left on the shell

A few of the clams I got from the group buy had aptasia, seems that's its a common thing with getting them wholesale.

I scraped them off before adding to the tank and haven't seen them come back.

Back