High Tide Aquatics

Wrasse Lovers Unite! What ya got?

Thanks for the PSA! I didn’t buy any wrasses but I did pick up a nice trio of female lyretail anthias. My male has been color-fading without anyone to harass.

This is why I can't keep a girlfriend. They get pissed when I tell them I'm not harassing them, I just need to keep my color from fading!

Don’t make wrasses turn back to female without the presence of other females? Are you in danger of that too Bruce?

No, they don't. It is possible, but not certain that a transitional male will revert, but once a wrasse has fully changed they never turn back. Me either. :)

Out of curiosity Bruce where did you find this compatibility chart?

It's a chart on R2R from one of the foremost experts on wrasses. He's a guy that is a frequent speaker at Macna, etc. Obviously, individual mileage my vary from wrasse to wrasse as charts like these just give us an overall view of the species and individuals can act outside the norm.

No, I wasn't questioning the validity of the information I was just curious if there's one for other wrasses (or fish in general). I didn't see 6-line wrasse on there (although I can guess why), but also didn't see pygmy/Tanaka wrasse as they are not part of that complex, so was just wondering if there were additional charts on it.

No, I wasn't questioning the validity of the information I was just curious if there's one for other wrasses (or fish in general). I didn't see 6-line wrasse on there (although I can guess why), but also didn't see pygmy/Tanaka wrasse as they are not part of that complex, so was just wondering if there were additional charts on it.

Not that I'm aware of. The author of that chart is an expert and longtime aficionado of fairy and Cirrhilabrus wrasses. He does have a pinned section on wrasses on R2R where there are thousands of questions about many other wrasses and wrasse families that he answers though, but he is specifically sought out for his knowledge of these wrasses.

As to Possums wrasses they are probably the least agressive wrasse in any family and do well in any tank including an all wrasse tank. Six lines are (as I'm sure you know) part of the Pseudocheilinus family which is generally much more aggressive than most Cirrhilabrus. My experience with them based on in my tanks and as well as talking to (probably) a hundred + people when I was working at Diablo is they are great wrasses until they hit full maturity and then they become terrors that you can't catch. :) The problem is that LFS sell them as small juveniles and for a few years they do fine even in a community tank, but most of the time that changes unless they are among the smallest fish in a tank with say large Tnags, etc.

Not that I'm aware of. The author of that chart is an expert and longtime aficionado of fairy and Cirrhilabrus wrasses. He does have a pinned section on wrasses on R2R where there are thousands of questions about many other wrasses and wrasse families that he answers though, but he is specifically sought out for his knowledge of these wrasses.

As to Possums wrasses they are probably the least agressive wrasse in any family and do well in any tank including an all wrasse tank. Six lines are (as I'm sure you know) part of the Pseudocheilinus family which is generally much more aggressive than most Cirrhilabrus. My experience with them based on in my tanks and as well as talking to (probably) a hundred + people when I was working at Diablo is they are great wrasses until they hit full maturity and then they become terrors that you can't catch. :) The problem is that LFS sell them as small juveniles and for a few years they do fine even in a community tank, but most of the time that changes unless they are among the smallest fish in a tank with say large Tnags, etc.

LOL.. I have a C. pylei, C. lineatus and C. rubrimarginatus together! Was also thinking about adding a C. rhomboidalis!

Do the females stay females in your experience/tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With two females one will always turn male. With one female they will still almost always turn male it just takes longer sometimes. That's ehy if you have a few years to wait it's often cost effective to buy a cheaper female of some of the rarer wrasses.

With two females one will always turn male. With one female they will still almost always turn male it just takes longer sometimes. That's ehy if you have a few years to wait it's often cost effective to buy a cheaper female of some of the rarer wrasses.
In my case, i have a supermale and 2 females... I've heard it both ways where females stay females as long as the mLe is around. And other cases where a female flips.

Though, i often wonder if one of the females might be in transition when being introduced to the tank...

In my case, i have a supermale and 2 females... I've heard it both ways where females stay females as long as the mLe is around. And other cases where a female flips.

Though, i often wonder if one of the females might be in transition when being introduced to the tank...

Yep. If there's a harem then (and this is true in the wild too) there will often be a transitional male as well as the Super Male, but it won't become a male unless something happens to the Super Male. There is some evidence that Transitional Males can revert back to female as well.

Yep. If there's a harem then (and this is true in the wild too) there will often be a transitional male as well as the Super Male, but it won't become a male unless something happens to the Super Male. There is some evidence that Transitional Males can revert back to female as well.
I’m a super male [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back