Kessil

Mixed Shrimp?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Setting up a softies tank and want to add some shrimp for interest. What common (and not expensive) shrimp species do you think can live together?
I veto coral banded shrimp due to purported meanness.

I had a pair of fires and now have a pair of cleaners, and a single coral banded shrimp (CBS is in a separate tank). Probably my favorite was the fire pair. I do like the coral banded. So far, mine seems way more show than actual aggression, but I've only had him for ~8 months, and with no other shrimp.

If you do opt for a fire, I highly recommend getting 2, they are way more outgoing and fun to watch when they pair up.

I have a coral banded pair, 2 peppermints and a tiger pistol in my 28, they all get along fine. havent seen any aggression from the coral bands

I have a gold coral banded (aka Zanzibar, supposedly less aggressive?) and a cleaner in my tank. Haven’t had any issues with either, but they stay on opposite sides of the tank in their own overhangs, never seen them even look at each other.

Also the banded has plenty of bristleworms and other small critters to eat which presumably keeps aggression in check.

I have a gold coral banded (aka Zanzibar, supposedly less aggressive?) and a cleaner in my tank. Haven’t had any issues with either, but they stay on opposite sides of the tank in their own overhangs, never seen them even look at each other.

Also the banded has plenty of bristleworms and other small critters to eat which presumably keeps aggression in check.
You’ve seen it eat bristles?

No, I don’t actually see it do anything, it mostly hides in a crevice under an overhang all day. I bought it to eat my excess bristleworms, and they seem a little less abundant since, so I’m just assuming that is why it doesn’t bother anyone else.

I have seen my Coral banded shrimp holding bristle worms and eating at it, but no way I could see eating the entire worm.

I do keep sexy shrimp in my nano, too and the CB shrimp didn't bother them. The clown fish went after the little ones. Maureen let me know if you want me to try to order you some shrimps, I can see if they are available.

I've actually seen my CB chomping away on a bristleworm. Did not look tasty.
@Kremis, any issue pairing yours? Do they pair up pretty easily, like the cleaners and fires?

I bought it from Diver’s Den. If you look up controlling bristleworms it’s one of the biological controls mentioned often.

I had a pair of fires and now have a pair of cleaners, and a single coral banded shrimp (CBS is in a separate tank). Probably my favorite was the fire pair. I do like the coral banded. So far, mine seems way more show than actual aggression, but I've only had him for ~8 months, and with no other shrimp.

If you do opt for a fire, I highly recommend getting 2, they are way more outgoing and fun to watch when they pair up.
How different is their behavior when paired up as opposed to solo? Do they move around together? Do they have to be added to the tank at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my case, I started w/ 2 introduced to the tank at the same time and they were usually together and very outgoing. After ~2 years, one died and the remaining one became quite shy - until I gave him/her a new friend. The new one was picked at a little, but they worked it out pretty quickly and paired up. Two years later, I lost both of them in quick succession. I was shrimp free for a couple on months, and then added a pair of cleaners I picked up from @Apon at the last frag swap, and they look great.

Thanks for sharing all the experience (and recipes). I have some store credit and will see if I can get a pair of cleaners and fire shrimp soon. I'd love for my 8th graders to get to observe shrimp antics for a few weeks before they head off to tankless high schools.

Thanks for sharing all the experience (and recipes). I have some store credit and will see if I can get a pair of cleaners and fire shrimp soon. I'd love for my 8th graders to get to observe shrimp antics for a few weeks before they head off to tankless high schools.
Sounds like we need to recruit a high school science teacher into the club. Know any?

Back