Kessil

AP700 or Radion Pro

As near as I can tell, the lights are both "good."
If you switch brands, your coral can definitely grow better, or worse.
But the same is true as you do major changes to the colors and intensity.
And what works best for your tank is rarely the best for someone else.

So look at color, shimmer, layout on your tank, and other personal taste issues.

I have used both. While I like kessils, radion are superior....at least for me it was..
I feel kessils over indexed on the shimmer but radion better spectrum still..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've been going back and forth on this myself. Every time I see a deal on AP700, I keep thinking I want to try out a set of AP700s on my main DT tank (the one running Aqamai LRMs) or on one of my frag tanks.

I have several Radion G3 pros, and a G4 pro. But keep thinking that Kessils might be simpler to setup and manage versus playing with the spectrum and light blending. Plus, if you don't like the disco effect, then you need to install diffusers on the Radions...which are flimsy.

On the other hand, Kessils has way too much shimmer (for me) as other mentioned. So... still torn -- good news is that with so much indecision, I don't have to do anythign since the lights get sold before I decide. lmao.

I've been going back and forth on this myself. Every time I see a deal on AP700, I keep thinking I want to try out a set of AP700s on my main DT tank (the one running Aqamai LRMs) or on one of my frag tanks.

I have several Radion G3 pros, and a G4 pro. But keep thinking that Kessils might be simpler to setup and manage versus playing with the spectrum and light blending. Plus, if you don't like the disco effect, then you need to install diffusers on the Radions...which are flimsy.

On the other hand, Kessils has way too much shimmer (for me) as other mentioned. So... still torn -- good news is that with so much indecision, I don't have to do anythign since the lights get sold before I decide. lmao.
I also feel growth under kessils was underwhelming. Ran it for 2 years. And growth was not that good. While under hydra or radion growth is noticeably better...
Personal openion.....

My biggest issue with Kessils is the "point" source nature of the light, while yeah you can give it optics to spread it out to "cover" a wide area, the bottom line is the light still makes a cone, so shadowing can be a pretty big issue. Something like the Orphek fixture though spreads all the LEDs out, and while yeah there may be more "disco ball" the shadowing is going to be minimized, this effect is somewhat lessened with the pucks of the Radions, and a bit with the AP700 having 2 sources. But I recall Kris in Pacifica had like 7 or 8 Kessils over his tank because of shadowing issues, eventually he went with the Orphek unit though. Haven't seen an update from him though.

Back