Our mission

Would anyone be willing to share their number as an “emergency contact”?

Hi guys, I am headed out of the country for two weeks coming up; I will have no internet access. My parents will be with the tank, but they do not know much if anything about it. My tank should hopefully be able to handle itself (auto feeder, doser, large top off reservoir, etc), but I want them to have someone they can contact if something goes wrong. I also have an apex and added them to the notifications so if an error pops up they have someone they can ask about it. Hopefully, they will not need to contact you, but I want them to have the option if needed. If something goes real wrong I am located in the Los Altos area so it would be nice if you were in the general area. If it came down to something real serious, I am sure they would pay you, or you could work something out. It would also be nice if it’s someone I recognize from the forum so I know that you know what you’re doing. I know this is a lot, but thanks so much in advance. Also open to any other ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
Btw also if you like i can connect you with a solid service guy. Absolutely solid.
I travel very often. Almost every month or so, and I depend on this guy every time.

Last edited:
Me. D, right? Lol. Just kidding. Glad you found somebody new.
Actually not new. The service guy am referring to here I dealt and still dealing with for 6 years.
He has access to my home and come to my place twice a day to take care of my system when am out.
My incident was diffrent guy because I needed to host my coral outside my home...

Last edited:
Just for the record I offered help just to help out a fellow reefer this time. Not for charge or anything. Also not long term thing.
I do not run a service or anything ha ha. Just a reef enthusiast..
I do know couple of people I deal with and trust I can share with whoever is looking for service personals.

Last edited:
Just for the record I offered help just to help out a fellow reefer this time. Not for charge or anything. Also not long term thing.
I do not run a service or anything ha ha. Just a reef enthusiast..
I do know couple of people I deal with and trust I can share with whoever is looking for service personals.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I totally understand all that and not looking for something long term. Ideally no one who shared their info will need to be contacted, only if things go poorly. I just want to say thanks again though to everyone who offered their help, it is really appreciated!

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I totally understand all that and not looking for something long term. Ideally no one who shared their info will need to be contacted, only if things go poorly. I just want to say thanks again though to everyone who offered their help, it is really appreciated!
Oh man no worries. I did not mean to make you uncomfortable thsy was not the intention. I just did not want someone to think I run a service.
As I said in the PM I am more than willing do not worry.
I travel alot and I know how stressful it is

Oh man no worries. I did not mean to make you uncomfortable thsy was not the intention. I just did not want someone to think I run a service.
As I said in the PM I am more than willing do not worry.
I travel alot and I know how stressful it is

Ah yeah I understand, totally makes sense! Thanks for all the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that it is good to have a couple of other reefers and a professional service person as back up if you are going to leave town for more than a few days. I'm on a couple people's list next to their tank but have only ever had to be called twice. (repriming MJ1200 pump that was ensuring HOB overflow had siphon, figuring out which switches should be on after all powerstrip switches got turned off) I have a couple people on my list, all current or former BAR members and thankfully my tank watchers have only ever had to call once (I left ATO off after my pre-trip water change and pumps ran dry after a couple of days). Serving as each others' backup is a good way to give some peace of mind, often especially for the primary house sitter/fish feeder who is probably very anxious about what to do if something goes wrong with the tank.

I like to also have a professional backup available should there be an absolute disaster. It might be an expensive cleanup but it doesn't seem fair to ask that of a volunteer tank minder.

Back