High Tide Aquatics

anyone willing to take my tank for 3 years?

so i'm going to be up front here, i'm a high school student that lives in Petaluma and i've been keeping my reef tank for about 2 years now. I just recently got into coral and now i'm addicted and I spend every dime I get on coral. the only problem is that now i'm going to a boarding school back east for the next 3 years and there is no way I can bring my tank with me. i've talked to a few LFSs however they charge extreme rates I cannot afford and on-top of that they would only come for 2 hours every other week which is simply not enough to keep my tank healthy. my parents also cant take care of it as they simply don't care and have no knowledge of reef keeping. my only other responsible option then having someone take my tank for 3 years is to sell everything off but I have worked very hard on my tank and would hate to start over latter. so if anyone is interested in a RSR 350 with 2,000 or so dollars worth of coral and fish then PM me. my tank has a apex and kessils so it is pretty automated. also sorry for going against the terms of service as I am obviously not 18 but i'm pretty desperate. anyone who wants it for 3 years I will pay for all the things it needs like salt and dosing solution or whatever else.

stocking

fish:

fire fish
coral beauty
4 clowns
six line
bang eye

coral:
nearly 40 species of zoas
5 favia
4 goniapora
3 acans
1 setosa
3 birds nest
1 galexia
1 hammer
1 torch
1 candy cane
3 chalices
and some other
stuff

shrimp
1 cleaner
1 fire

problems
slight dinos on the sand bed
1 chalice and goni not doing well

please only people that are fairly confident in keeping the tank healthy
thanks

ya, i don't know what to do. i'm just worried about getting my money back that i spent so i can get back into it latter but it is doubtful anyone will pay the prices i did for the coral as i know the big stores sell coral for much more than hobbyists do. maby if someone is willing to take the coral and give it back latter as my LFS could probably take care of a FWOLER. i mean i'm happy to to pay someone to do it. however it would be nice to give it to a school but not sure what school can both pay to maintain and also just have the skill and knowledge to maintain a mixed reef.

Here is how I think of it.
Anyone who will truly take over for 3 years is either experimenting with your system which in my books is like giving away everything dor free.
Or experince in which they would expect payment.
So the way I see it, you should be more worried if someone offered to do that for 3 years free of charge. Not advocating for paying btw, I would not trust anyone with life stock for 3 years.
Go read my thread titled " sharing so you learn from my mistake" and see how it can get...my experience was for 2 months not 3 years.

Here is how I think of it.
Anyone who will truly take over for 3 years is either experimenting with your system which in my books is like giving away everything dor free.
Or experince in which they would expect payment.
So the way I see it, you should be more worried if someone offered to do that for 3 years free of charge. Not advocating for paying btw, I would not trust anyone with life stock for 3 years.
Go read my thread titled " sharing so you learn from my mistake" and see how it can get...my experience was for 2 months not 3 years.
i cant find your thread. could you post a link?

Whenever considering something like this, where most of the variables are outside your control, I think it’s important to consider bad-case scenarios, and ask yourself how you would feel about them?

#1- You find someone great, while you are gone the tank crashes and everything dies. This person isn’t going to invest in a bunch of livestock for your tank, so they let you know your parents need to come break it down and bring everything back to their place for storage, or else they can give it all away for you.

#2- You find someone great, but it’s not their primary tank so some serious problems slowly develop and most of what you loved dies slowly, gets taken over by pests, etc. See above.

#3- You find someone great, they do a great job, coral growth is great, they are putting serious time and money into it. When you come back in 3 years, they have no problem giving you back the original tank and hardware, some of which is broken and was replaced, some of the coral and fish, but there’s a nasty argument about how most of the current livestock is really more theirs than yours at this point, since they’ve had it longer than you and put so much into it.

#4- You find someone great, everything going to plan, best you can hope for. Then for the next stage of your life you are somewhere where you still can’t have a tank (most young adult situations) so you still need to arrange to sell everything off or more likely just give it to the tanksitter since it’s already in their house and they won’t be selling everything for you.

Whenever considering something like this, where most of the variables are outside your control, I think it’s important to consider bad-case scenarios, and ask yourself how you would feel about them?

#1- You find someone great, while you are gone the tank crashes and everything dies. This person isn’t going to invest in a bunch of livestock for your tank, so they let you know your parents need to come break it down and bring everything back to their place for storage, or else they can give it all away for you.

#2- You find someone great, but it’s not their primary tank so some serious problems slowly develop and most of what you loved dies slowly, gets taken over by pests, etc. See above.

#3- You find someone great, they do a great job, coral growth is great, they are putting serious time and money into it. When you come back in 3 years, they have no problem giving you back the original tank and hardware, some of which is broken and was replaced, some of the coral and fish, but there’s a nasty argument about how most of the current livestock is really more theirs than yours at this point, since they’ve had it longer than you and put so much into it.

#4- You find someone great, everything going to plan, best you can hope for. Then for the next stage of your life you are somewhere where you still can’t have a tank (most young adult situations) so you still need to arrange to sell everything off or more likely just give it to the tanksitter since it’s already in their house and they won’t be selling everything for you.
This is good advice.

Agree, sell now. Your interests may change. The hobby will definitely change and new equipment will be on the market. Keep the tank if you want, but I think it’s safer to sell it all off now. Someone tries to move it and it cracks —> $0.

Best of luck with your move.

ya, i don't know what to do. i'm just worried about getting my money back that i spent
Yeah... that's a mindset that's may leave you disappointed.

That said, I still say you should go for the sale approach. No one is going to keep a tank for 3 years if they have to give it back.

If you fail to sell, the best I can offer you is this. I recently started a 120 gal at a school I plan to maintain for at least 5 more years. If you want to donate your corals to the tank I will give you frags if anything that lives the 3 years you are gone. If anything dies it dies end of story. Besides the frags of things that live everything else will stay with the school, club, or me. Pm me if interested.

http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/sharing-so-you-learn-from-my-mistake.23561/

Now, am not saying everyone out there like the guy I fell in to. But things happen and 3 years is a long time. That's all what am trying to tell you.
Take our advice and just sell the live stock.
In 3 years thing change you might find better thing with the price of what you sell now.
Sorry if am bursting your bubble...
wow thats awful. how could someone even do that. luckily ive found someone offering to take it that seems reputable but im also going to see if i can find a school to give some of my fish and coral too, to lower the overall stress on the system. ive found one with a fairly good marine setup that might want my fish and a few zoas. ill keep this updated

Back