High Tide Aquatics

Thoughts on PNS YelloSno?

I ordered some pods from AlgaeBarn in advance of my vacation to insure my mandarin has something to eat while I'm away. While I was there, I ordered some PNS YelloSno (one of those impulse buys like the candy that they stash at the checkout lines in the grocery store).

Description here: https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/foods/coral/pns-yellosno/

They also appear to have sent me a free bottle of PNS Probio, which has the same "Purple nonsulfur bacteria" that the YelloSno contains as well as some probiotics. Since I started my build with dry rock, I'm always on the lookout for new bacteria to add to the mix. I figure more diverse bacteria is better...

The website does say it may have strong odors, which is the understatement of the century. The sulphur smell is unmistakable. Similar to a bottle of "Microbe-Lift Night Out", but about 10 times stronger. I had to wash my hands three times after opening the bottles.I dosed a small amount of both last night. and in all honesty, polyp extension on my SPS looked better this morning.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is beneficial? The bottle says it treats 400 gallons, and I would never use all the Probio for sure, so if any one else wants to test this, drop me a PM and I'll divide up the bottle...

Last edited:
Marine snow is organic matter that "falls" to the depths. In effect it's decaying, dead, or excreted matter for the most part. I think it was Two Little Fishies that used to make big claims about their Marine Snow as well and all it did was raise Nitrates.

A week before I go away I stop scraping the film algae off the glass and that gives the copepods extra grazing area that brings them out of the substrate where fish can pick them off.

Back