Our mission

To skim or not to skim during nutrient dosing?

Hi all, possibly newbie question: I want to start adding Red Sea Energy A and B to my tank (120g)... should I have the return pump and/or skimmer off for a while to ensure the carbs/aminos don’t get skimmed out ASAP, or am I overthinking this? Thanks!!

Reactions: JVU
Do not turn return pump off, but skimmer off for a bit would probably help effectiveness.

However! You may want to make sure you are "fixing" the right problem first.
If you have a low nutrient system, those products might help quite a bit. (so would feeding more)
But if you actually have something like high phosphates/nitrates, they will make things worse.

And in general:
There are no miracles in bottles.
Beware of over-complicating things.

When I dose Reef Energy A+B, I turn off my skimmer for an hour, as a push button “feed mode” in my Apex. I leave the return pump and everything else on. Mainly I do it because theoretically it makes sense to do so, and because part of the fun I have in this hobby is geeking out on the science/theory of it.

BUT I don’t think it’s critical since it takes quite a while for the skimmer to process all of the tank volume, so there is a built in delay anyway.

AND I’m not even convinced of any specific noticeable improvement from the supplements anyway, so I wouldn’t be able to test one approach vs another to really know or give you better advice :)

My slimmer pump is controlled by my apex. I reduce the pumps out put by 20% when feeding Red Sea A and B. That way I’m still at least getting the oxygen exchange but no skimming.

The pump slowly ramps back up over a period of about 2 hours.

Back