Cali Kid Corals

Hybrid Clams

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6679.msg86286#msg86286 date=1236189278]
Wait till you see the clams I will post later today ;)

Hint:
There big
They have nice shiny greenish blue dots
Any guesses? ;D
[/quote]

Quahog?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6679.msg86293#msg86293 date=1236189873]
[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6679.msg86286#msg86286 date=1236189278]

Hint:
There big
Any guesses? ;D
[/quote]

Quahog?
[/quote]

Psssh, wrong coast buddy.......PISMOS ;)

Hint:
There big
Any guesses? ;D
[/quote]

Could you send me a pic, please!?!

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6679.msg86295#msg86295 date=1236190117]
I know not a hybrid but just thought I would see what people think they are :D :D
I will probably post it in a new topic :D

[/quote]
Why not post it in your forum? :D :D

[quote author=Ocean Treasures Aquarium link=topic=6679.msg86237#msg86237 date=1236158819]

I think your correct Gresham that the acro will stay an acro but just the species will change. If people are wondering about price and if they think are just paying for a nicer Maxima then if you do like it buy it. If you do not like it and thinks its just a marketing gimmick then do not buy it.

I like what Rich said to me at the store the other day when he picked up his clams. He said regardless of the label "hybrid" if you like the clam and you are willing to pay for it, then get it ;)

Maybe I should call them SUPER DUPER ULTRA SPECIAL SUPERCALIFRAGALISTICEXPOALLODOCIUS CLAMS! :D :D :D

[/quote]

Call it whatever you like! Just don't name it "Tyree SE" anything...so sick of that prefix...like Steve created these things in a lab or gave birth to them personally or something .. :p

V

[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86346#msg86346 date=1236204414]
Leave Steve, alone!!! He's a big reason the hobby's gotten to where it's at :)
[/quote]
I have nothing against Steve either (I was at CFM this last weekend in fact)

You think? Let's look at this objectively......

Reef tanks require 5 basics...Lights, flow, salt, tanks and livestock. Of the 5 things he has added to a minor portion of the last and more then less say he's actually harmed that category by starting the huge uber small super expensive frags.

The online portion of the reef hobby is said to only represent like 5% of the actual hobby (although I think it's probably higher now ~10%) and for the most part only online guys know about Steve so how in the world can he be as influential as you claim he is? The numbers and facts don't reflect your opinion, that's for sure :p

Everything's subjective to you, Gresh! :p Is there any one person that we could credit for lights, flow, salt, tanks, chemistry, and livestock?

Steve helped lay the groundwork with stonies, at a time when most of us were just getting our feet wet with mushrooms. Not saying he revolutionized reefing, but he helped get it moving in the right direction in the US, and continues to do so through captive propagation.

There's still a few of us that never get wild coral ;)

Look in the back of Reef Aquarium Vol. 1, the "Reef tanks of the world" section or something like that. Steve's tank was light years ahead of any of the other featured tanks, that photo was inspiring to me. I don't know what he has contributed on the whole, but I do know he knew what he was doing long before keeping more challenging coral became mainstay.

[quote author=Unarce link=topic=6679.msg86363#msg86363 date=1236209272]
Everything's subjective to you, Gresh! :p [/quote]

Not really but I will call a spade a spade and point any falsehoods out in a second :p

Is there any one person that we could credit for lights, flow, salt, tanks, chemistry, and livestock?
Nope which is why I said what i said. He had a very little effect on the over all hobby, unlike what you said in your first post
a big reason why the hobby is where it is today

Steve helped lay the groundwork with stonies, at a time when most of us were just getting our feet wet with mushrooms. Not saying he revolutionized reefing, but he helped get it moving in the right direction in the US, and continues to do so through captive propagation.

Same could be said about many people really.
There's still a few of us that never get wild coral ;)
And what does that have to do with Steve Tyree? Heck, GARF probably had a broader reaching effect on fragging then he did :p

Gresh - I'm cool with you feeling he doesn't deserve as much credit as I've allotted. You're more tuned into the industry than I am.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6679.msg86365#msg86365 date=1236209754]
Look in the back of Reef Aquarium Vol. 1, the "Reef tanks of the world" section or something like that. Steve's tank was light years ahead of any of the other featured tanks, that photo was inspiring to me. I don't know what he has contributed on the whole, but I do know he knew what he was doing long before keeping more challenging coral became mainstay.

[/quote]

Hence, a big reason why the hobby is where it is today. Is it the pictures, corals, methods, name recognition? Regardless, his early success was an inspiration to hundreds of hobbyists in the 90's.

I gotta say that when I started in the hobby "Nano-reef.com" and "reefcentral.com" and ... "BARE" had more influence on me than anything else. For "online influence" I'd point a big finger at RC. I'd never heard of Steve Tyree, though he DID come and speak to our club. (I'm pretty sure)

Had I started the hobby withougt these influences, I'd probably have a tank with saltwater, lava rocks and clown fish. Oh, maybe some aiptasia too.

But anyway, getting back to clams. Those are some sweet clams.

V

Back