Jestersix

Frags Gotta Eat!

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Took a break from back to school chores ( = cleaning piles of papers I threw into cabinets in June) and spent some happy time looking at the tanks and frags and feeding everyone. I don't think I ever target fed frags much before. A month from now we should have plankton cultures going so we can feed smaller size food. Target feeding is one of my favorite tank activities.

IMG_5336.jpg
IMG_5339.jpg
IMG_5346.jpg

Yeah I loved the pay off of target feeding, absolutely HATE the actual doing of it. Although I've always done so in a tank that tended to have things like cleaner shrimp, and then target feeding is such a fricking chore, you gotta shoosh them away or use some sort of 2-liter bottle contraption, and the pumps can't be on otherwise it'll float around the tank and... yeah... frag tank would be nice, but corals gotta eat in the display tank too.

I never liked target feeding either. I stopped when I switched to LRS food. The particles get blown all over broadcast feeding all the corals (and fish).

Target feeding is too time consuming! Broadcast feeding with lots of stuff FTW!

Current feed mix & schedule.

Mix in squeeze bottle that will last around 3-4 days (in the fridge) that gets fed to the tanks twice a day (8am & 5pm). It's made up of:
- LRS Reef Frenzy
- PE Mysis
- PE Calanus
- Reef Nutrition ROE
- Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
- BRS Reef Chili

I also load my auto feeders with New Life Spectrum pellets and Reef Chili and that gets fed twice a day as well. (11am & 3pm)

Target feeding is too time consuming! Broadcast feeding with lots of stuff FTW!

Current feed mix & schedule.

Mix in squeeze bottle that will last around 3-4 days (in the fridge) that gets fed to the tanks twice a day (8am & 5pm). It's made up of:
- LRS Reef Frenzy
- PE Mysis
- PE Calanus
- Reef Nutrition ROE
- Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
- BRS Reef Chili

I also load my auto feeders with New Life Spectrum pellets and Reef Chili and that gets fed twice a day as well. (11am & 3pm)
Isn’t reef chili a powder? How does it do in the feeder?

Isn’t reef chili a powder? How does it do in the feeder?

It works if you mix it in the the pellets well enough. Need to shake the tumbler every so often (once a week maybe) because sometimes the Reef Chili clumps together. I do use the smallest feed opening and tumble it multiple times per feed.

I do something very similar to randy.

I use reef nutrition pellets in my feeder that goes off 5 times a day. I plan to mix in some reef roids next fill.

Then once a day I throw in Red Sea reef energy and then feed a mix of
Original rods food
Reef roids
Reef nutrition oyster fest
Reef nutrition ROE
Reef nutrition phyto (I stop this if sponges start to grow, then restart as they dwindle)
Selcon

I mix this in a container that lasts me about a week or more.

Feed this much at your own risk... I have a ton of rock in my tank, it’s bare bottom, and I run 4 vortechs, have a massive skimmer for my tank size, run an algae scrubber, and still need gfo. Tank volume is only 55gallons and I have 12 fish, and 4 shrimp to feed all day.

Back