got ethical husbandry?

Flow Advice

Hm, so one of my previous posts actually did have some merit then.
me said:
I understand it's not a point source, but with them all pointing in the same direction, wouldn't the net result be the same?
returns on the back from left to right: straight, 90* left, 90* left, 90* left
returns on the front from left to right: 90*right, 90*right, 90*right, straight

Wouldn't this result in a net gyre rotating ccw viewed from above?

This would work eventually or no?

Dunno, my head hurts right now and I can't actually picture what your saying :p

It would work :D

Oh wow, I'm gonna have to spend some time reading all this, lol.

When I discussed the setup of the closed loop with Paul, I think the idea wasn't so much to set up a gyre, but rather just a means of keeping detritus suspended and pushed up and out to the overflow.

So that being said, would it be counterproductive to add side-to-side flow? Alternatively, I could take the drum out of the OM and replace the Dart with a larger pump?

[quote author=phishphood link=topic=6945.msg90126#msg90126 date=1237429869]
me said:
I understand it's not a point source, but with them all pointing in the same direction, wouldn't the net result be the same?

[/quote]

IME yes, both flow options can work at the same time if tuned properly. There is not such thing as perfect flow in aquariums as we cannot achieve what really goes on in the ocean in our tanks. I don't care who's "theory" we go by.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6945.msg90161#msg90161 date=1237435080]
[quote author=phishphood link=topic=6945.msg90126#msg90126 date=1237429869]
me said:

[/quote]

IME yes, both flow options can work at the same time if tuned properly. There is not such thing as perfect flow in aquariums as we cannot achieve what really goes on in the ocean in our tanks. I don't care who's "theory" we go by.
[/quote]

Science is hardly theory in this case :)

The ocean has WAY more going on than a gyre, there's also ground swell along with laminar currents, try reproducing a 17 sec interval surge.

Okay, went back and read the posts, and am as confused as ever. :)

If creating a gyre would require significant replumbing, then it's probably not really an option - I'd rather not mess with the returns as they are.

Would it be a good idea then to add a Vortech to one end (or would I need 2, one at each end?)? I'm not familiar with how controllable these are - could I time the pulses so that they're not pushing water while the OM/closed loop is pushing water up towards the surface/overflow?

If I understood it right, Gresham said this could probably work:

So everything coming out of the back wall points to the left (or right) except the far left (or right) which just points straight. And everything coming out of the bottom front points to the right (or left) except the far right(or left) return which just points straight. I suppose subbing 45* fittings would work as well as the 90* ones.

Back