Our mission

How would you like to help set up a 20,000 Gallon Tank?

So what I learned about this 20K G tank through official channels at RTC is that no one knew about it. There is, however, a gentleman who is sort of a volunteer at RTC and also involved with the Tyee club (who do raise+release salmon) who seems to have some connection with the Cal Academy. He, apparently, is the individual who has claimed the tank will come to RTC. I e-mailed him to request a meeting, but have not yet met and details are still lacking. Even *IF* we could get the tank to RTC (fairly impossible to believe) I think that it is very highly unlikely that we'll be setting up a tank of that magnitude as a reef at RTC. It is possible that we'd use a tank of that size for growing out salmon fry, or some other project that would involve the use of water from the Bay. There may, however, be other tanks coming from the academy to RTC. I will keep you posted on developments as I learn them.

So, it's unlikely that we'll be looking for volunteers to set up a 20,000 gallon reef at RTC in the foreseeable future, but there definitely WILL be an opportunity to help set up a 200 gallon reef! Not nearly as exciting as 20K gallons or what's up at the new Steinhart, but could be a fun project nonetheless and will make a big impact for all visitors at RTC. I will be setting up the tank I bought from Elite as a reef during the next few months. It's been quite a headache for me to get approval to use that tank (after I was told it was fine and should buy it!) but things are looking good at present, and I want to set it up as a SPS and clam tank, neither of which I have any real experience with! So, help will be greatly appreciated.

I resisted once, but I can't twice: "I have been wondering where my mind has gone over the past 5 years but at least I know that my brain has been under your house during that time" ;-)

It is possible that we'd use a tank of that size for growing out salmon fry, or some other project that would involve the use of water from the Bay.
Also remember that's a really TALL 20000g tank, so probably even less useful. The whole point of that at the academy was to test out how to light a really tall tank, I mean sure you could remove the front pane and lay it on it's side while sealing up one edge, but to be honest I'd think it'd be easier to just to set your own tank up than get it out there.

Guys:

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Since I did not receive any emails at racrumrine@yahoo.com and I did not receive notifications that anyone at BAR had replied to my threads (however, I have in the past), I was assuming you guys were just too busy to help out. Fortunately, I read Elite's comment today on RC which prompted me to come over here.

Crabby's info is mostly correct. Equipment is being (and will be continued to be) pulled out of the Howard Street location. It is being sent to the Romberg Center (where they have plenty of storage space). Right now, the plans are to mostly set up cold water tanks featuring the local critters. The goal is to set up an education center for the public.

I have a cargo van which will be used to help transport a lot of the gear. The 20,000 gallon tank will most likely be brought over by barge (I was told a barge company has already offered to take care of the move).

For any of you that are interested (and able to travel to Tiburon), I think this would be a fun project to work on. Ever since high school, I always wanted to work on a cold water tank.

While we all enjoy keeping warm water reefs, this would give us a chance to expand our skill sets and provide another Bay Area location for educating the public about our local critters. When I was 10, I was lucky enough to attend a week-long camp in Redwood City http://www.cmiregistration.com/user/splash__org__261.htm It forever gave me a love of the sea and it's creatures. I believe the goal is to set up something similar at the Romberg Center.

Best of luck,

Roy

According to the Steinhart curator, the big tank is not planned to go to RTC (or moved at all) but another big fiberglass tank in storage is going to RTC.

you couldn't move that tank without demoing the entire howard st building, and WHY would anyone do that for a 20,000 gal tank with is rediclously tall????????????

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4184.msg50810#msg50810 date=1217698287]
Ahh those sound more feasible, I think some of them are in the 5-10,000 gallon range aren't they?

[/quote]

20' diameter, depends on how high you fill it. The tallest filled all the way are 10k gallons.

So those are opaque, right? Reminds me of a joke a friend made...

I was talking about designing and building a new tank and I said I was thinking about doing something with a sort of steampunk/industrial style. His reply? "Wouldn't a steampunk aquarium be a big metal boiler with a tiny glass porthole?" :p

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=4184.msg50855#msg50855 date=1217748164]
So those are opaque, right? Reminds me of a joke a friend made...[/quote]

Yes, they are fiberglass with a rectangular hole cut for an acrylic window. The hole is somewhere around 5' wide or so?

The 2 tanks we have this size both have a single window but I know you can cut at least 4 without compromising the strength of the tank.

Since we're all on this thread, it's a good time to introduce my two friends to each other. Jonathon (Crabby) meet Matt Wandell and Matt, meet Jonathon.

Back