Jestersix

Amer's 29gallon Tank Journal

Amer

This tank isn't new or anything, but I'd just like somewhere where people can give their input. Whether it's bad or good feedback, just give it to me!

Tank Specifications
Size: 29gallons [All Glass Aquarium]
Measurements: 30x12x18
Date started:October 16th, 2006

Current Tank Inhabitants as of January 14th, 2008
-Two clown fish
-Two cleaner shrimp

Corals:
-Various types of Zoanthids.
-Purple/Red mushrooms
-Xenia
-Colt Coral
-Ricordia
-Yumas (not sure if they're yumas or not!)

Lighting:
130watt catfish lighting off ebay. I did have a Current USA SunPod Metal Halide 150 Watt HQI it on it but the bulbs and the cover shattered and need some fixing.

Maintenance:
-5gallon water (R.O) change weekly.
-Coral accel dosing weekly

Filtration:
~20lbs of liverock
200gph penguin marineland hang on back filter (running filterfloss only)

Pictures:

The beginning:
DSC04615.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

TankNov-2.jpg

DSC05146.jpg

NewBackground.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

TODAY

DSC06073.jpg

DSC06106.jpg

Coral:
DSC06075.jpg

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06099.jpg

DSC06100.jpg

DSC06101.jpg

DSC06103.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

DSC06118.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

DSC06108.jpg

Pictures:
DSCN0538.jpg

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

Future Plans:
I'm planning on selling some of my zoanthids so I can make room for more variety of coral.

Thanks for looking! Comments welcome. ;)

Cool variety Amer. I couldn't see any Yuma's in the pics but I need see some nive shrooms. On the critiqing side, lose the power filter and get a skimmer...... looks like you could use some more live rock also. Thats it at a glance in all it's looking good!

LeviTillie: Thanks for the feedback! I actually had a skimmer on it but it was enormous! I don't have a sump or anything so if I get a skimmer it would have to hang onto the back :[. I definately agree on the live rock, when I bought more rock last week it seemed okay until I noticed how low it is in the middle. I'll buy another 10-15lbs to fix it up.

Elite:Scraping weekly helps a lot. I can't stand having ugly algae blooms everywhere. Especially on my sand bed!

[quote author=Amer link=topic=2910.msg31061#msg31061 date=1201474789]
LeviTillie: Thanks for the feedback! I actually had a skimmer on it but it was enormous! I don't have a sump or anything so if I get a skimmer it would have to hang onto the back :[. I definately agree on the live rock, when I bought more rock last week it seemed okay until I noticed how low it is in the middle. I'll buy another 10-15lbs to fix it up.

Elite:Scraping weekly helps a lot. I can't stand having ugly algae blooms everywhere. Especially on my sand bed!
[/quote]

Make sure you clean it off real good and don't add too much at one time because you can cause your tank to have a huge cycle if it's not cured well. I'm using a Red Sea Prizm skimmer on my 46g bow and it's currently doing the trick.

I believe Levi's talking about a scrub brush and a bucket of saltwater.

More live rock and circulation, I've run quite a few skimmerless tanks with much success, esp. with zoas.
Otherwise nice tank, and you still have plenty of space for free coral...

I borrowed my friends Cannon powershot yesterday and took an FTS to compare it with my old sony cybershot. What do you guys think? I think that the Cannon has a more crisp clear shot than my Sony.

SONY...

DSCN0538.jpg

Cannon...

IMG_0739.jpg

Haha, I know it's gross to have it near the tank! But I only put it there because the recharger is there and I don't like recharging it in my bathroom because of that whole conspiracy about flushing and having all that toilet water splashing on your counter without you knowing it. But it has a cover so it helps =)

Instead of watching the super bowl today, I decided to change my rock work. It was harder than I thought. But after 30minutes of trying, I finally got the final result. What I wanted to do was to clear out my sand bed and put my existing coral on the rock work. Even though you can't really see the coral, they're still there!

Does it look better? If not, what changes can I make to make it look better.

http://i32.tinypic.com/35cqzbm.jpg

Thanks :] Yeah, I like it. I got two watchman gobies today from jedininja on the RC forums. They're settling in pretty well.

Heres the smaller one (Gump)

27ww2u8.jpg

Back