1 hours x2 planned electric outage - what to prepare?

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Julius Chen, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Julius Chen

Julius Chen Supporting Member

Folks,

Got PG&E letter stating planned electricity outage for coming Tuesday (4/25). There will be two 1 hour window: 8~9am and 2~3pm roughly.

What do you think I should do to minimize its impact?

I have two setups running: 120 gallon with 20 gallon sump, and 20 gallon Innovative Marine All In One.

Only thing I can think of is to turn off skimmer in the morning before I leave for work.

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Battery backup for powerheads? Should be fine for a couple hours. Maybe leave skimmer running w no cup on to keep air exchange up?

3. RandyC

RandyC Guest

I wouldn't trust PG&E to only have 1 hour outtages. Me personally, I have a UPS to keep power heads going.

If you don't have that, I'd suggest battery operated airpumps that trigger on when power goes out. Like this:

Silent Air B11 Battery Operated Aquarium Air Pump For Power Outage Automatic Turn On Keeps Fish Safe Up to 29 Gallons https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PBIKHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_j-5-yb5QAFBBE

4. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

1 hour is not that long. Your tanks should be fine. (I've been down for 8 hours before).
    But, if you are really concerned or have lots too loose... I have a generator you can borrow.
    But of corse you will need to be home during the outage so you can transfer power over. Then transfer it back once your outage is over.

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Inverter that you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter with a hybrid car like a Prius that shuts off the engine when you there is still battery and/or don't need power to move, plus some DC pumps since the invertor signal doesn't need to be too clean. Of course you need to be home for that.

Or some battery backup for a DC pump.

Pretty much all options though are out the window unless the equipment is sold locally, amazon 2 day shipping doesn't include weekends does it?

6. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

We had ours here in Hayward. I did nothing and the tank was fine

7. Julius Chen

How does power head such as jebao pw-15 connect to a battery backup? Any cheap battery backup I can pickup today at a local store?

8. OnTheReef

OnTheReef OnTheReef (Eric)

Staples, Best Buy, OfficeMax all carry UPS battery backups. The UPS goes inline with your powerheads like this:

wall power --> tank power distribution --> UPS --> powerheads.

Incidentally, I have had many power outages with my aquariums. The most pernicious problems I have experienced are sump flooding as all the water drains from the system and skimmer flooding when the power comes back on. I have learned to always test my plumbing jobs by cutting the power and monitoring the sumps, skimmers and ATOs to quiescent state and then through turning the power back on.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  9. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

If you're in a pinch and need something asap, you can borrow or buy this from me, unopened. $23 on BRS. Whoa and a lot cheaper elsewhere. Just checked.

BRS says good for most tank up to 55g.

I'm in Palo Alto.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Julius Chen

Thanks all. I think I am just going to remove skimmer cup and tough it out!

Coral reefer likes this.
  11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Can manually stir water if it lasts longer than expected as well