Jestersix

1000 bucks to spend on a new tank....clever ideas...

So,
I am going to be putting together another tank for some family of mine. I have a 1000 budget. I need your guys best ideas....

Size wise, I am thinking small (30-55), because it will be in a apt.

he wants to have various LPS and SPS.

I am thinking the red sea max may be the best way to go since he moves about 1x a year. Anyone have any input on them or know where I could read some (besidees nano reef.com)

so, any and all ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance you guys ALWAYS have gems out there for me
Cheers ;D

If he moves once a year, cut your budget WAY down and skip SPS corals. It takes months(or years) for a tank to get dialed in. If he moves that often he'll never get settled. Just get a 24G nano on CL or RC, throw in a fish, a shrimp and some softies and call it a day.

I'd order the red sea complete reef starter kit off of petsolutions.com. It is about $600 but if you didn't want the chemicals and test kits then just get the tank and stand for about $500. Then you can buy $50 of Live Rock, $50 on sand, $150 on fish, $150 to start buying some coral ( and then add more later), and $100 on a heater and a skimmer! ;D

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=4452.msg54169#msg54169 date=1220207419]
If he moves once a year, cut your budget WAY down and skip SPS corals. It takes months(or years) for a tank to get dialed in. If he moves that often he'll never get settled. Just get a 24G nano on CL or RC, throw in a fish, a shrimp and some softies and call it a day.
[/quote]

I 2nd this idea. If he/she doesn't care about being new CL and RC have people all the item letting them go. Its justs takes a 1 to 2 week watch for a good deal. Plus Hey who wouldn't want to save cash rather than spending the whole $1,000.

Just saw this on CL- $300 for a bowfront 46 and that leaves plenty for any necessary upgrades.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/822559984.html

Back