Cali Kid Corals

100gal Aggressive Softie Reef

A Tank Journal? OK, I can start near the beginning.
(sorry if some of the pics take a minute to load... read slowly!)

This tank was a 100gal glass tank, but it started to leak a little bit in the back...
DSCN2620.jpg
DSCN2641-1.jpg

Drained it down, resealed, still leaked, drained, re sealed... and it held.

Left San Diego for a trip back to San jose to see the family.

Got a call that night from my housemate saying he heard, "a toilet flush in (my) room, and it looked like a scene from The Titanic."

Luckily a friend from a local fish store rushed over and moved all the livestock to a 10gal we had in the garage.

DSCN2667.jpg

The SDReefs community saved me, I got a new tank arrangement setup within a few hours of the crash. Came home to a horrible-smelling room and carpet, and an empty glass tank full of sand.
The seam was split open a good 1/2 inch where the side wall met the back, going nearly the entire height of the tank.

Got the new ACRYLIC tank the next day-ish and got it running.

DSCN2660.jpg
DSCN2666.jpg

It cleaned up well, and the crash (on the bright side) killed off a good amount of hair algae!

DSCN2671.jpg

Our housemate's kitten...
DSCN2696.jpg

These are the only tank residents at the moment. Pic is a about 2 weeks old.
FishPics_5-7-09025.jpg

Angler vs. Mushroom... WHO WILL WIN?!?!?
FishPics_5-7-09039.jpg

Some tank shots...
NewCamera136.jpg

AshCamera1418.jpg

Going fishing...
FishPics_5-7-09012.jpg

What a miracle story of how the club came to your rescue.

Always like to hear these stories as it shows a sign of true family within a club.

At the same time i hate to hear them as its a crash we wouldn't enjoy recovering from.

Its great you did not give up on your tank.

Keep those pictures coming with the new tank.

HA! Sounds like my story with tanks.. well minus this gushing water all over the floor... my disaster ended up leaving me with a healthier tank too.

BTW What fish are those? The yellow one looks like a type of frogfish, but I have to admit with the exception of Mr.Ugly's avatar of old I don't have much viewing time with them.

Mr. Ugly said:
Watch out... frogfish are predators on lionfish too!

Especially fuzzy little dwarf snacks.

Hmm good to know. I just got a little black leaf whose friggin adorable but I was worried about the angler. Leaf is only about 2 inches nose to tail. He's in a separate 30gal at the moment, was debating when/if he would be safe to add. I'm confident the lion's safe, he's a bit bigger than the angler.

6 month-ish old pic, little bit bigger now...
beo-red.jpg

I've been under the impression that the first dorsal ray on leaf scorpions is poisonous? If the angler chomps him I would assume it's likely to kill both of them... May have to sell the leaf to my ex... :(

Update, got a new fish...

tang1.jpg

He's a pretty cool Desjardini. Unfortunately his last owner recently passed away and his immaculate 180gal became too much upkeep for his wife. Very appreciated and respected member of the San Diego aquarist community, so it's a bit of an honor to adopt his fish. If anyone is curious here's a link to a short bio (this fish is in the gallery).

tang2.jpg

Lets just ignore the scratches on my acrylic... =P
Mag-cleaners = BAD idea...

Mr. Ugly said:
Frogfish. Antennarius striatus.
Nice!
:D

Yep, exactly. Stirated/Fuzzy Angler! He actually just ate my vermiculate leopard wrasse, so he's on the bad list right now... but my fault I guess for thinking he couldn't eat a fish bigger then himself...

Lyn said:
I bet the kitty enjoys your tank as much as you do!

Ya, but after we started letting him outside he's less interested, lol. Cats...

Back