Kessil

105 G Star fire- new tank

More people = more death

Growth of the hobby via cheaper equipment is not an awesome thing, just the opposite.

The % of people that kill stuff and simply purchase more livestock will increase, is that really what we as a club want? Take a look at the mission statement for the club. It's well crafted and represents the mindset of those the founded the club, and those that still run it.

Some of us feel the price of livestock should be MUCH greater, like 4x the cost.

sfsuphysics said:
ReefLove said:
Let me start by introducing myself by saying I have ZERO experience in fish salt or fresh. I got 10 gallon freshwater tank about 1 month back and fishes are still alive. Which means I know what I'm doing :) sort of.
Glad to know you admit that you have zero experience with fish yet you know what you're doing ;) Freshwater often is extremely easier than saltwater for the simple fact you use the water that comes out of the tap (with some de-chlorinator type products of course), of course Freshwater can get much more complicated than saltwater too depending upon what you do in either realm. That said I had a similar experience where I've had freshwater before, and being told by the local fish store owner that saltwater was way more work (and it is based upon what I was doing in freshwater, i.e. just fish with gravel and a bubble filter it was more work) I decided to see how hard it would be, so I had an empty 10g tank, bought some sand, a fake plastic rock, and some salt mix and went forward to see if I could successfully keep salt water fish. Which I did, but not without some mistakes along the way, like topping off evaporated water with salt water, it wasn't too long before I figured out what was not the right thing to do, I was just lucky that my two fish are rather hardy fish. After deciding I had the basics down I bought a used tank (135g) and unfortunately stayed with it :D

I have 2 and half years old daughter and want to have a mature aquarium when she starts understanding what oxygen is in next few years. No need to mention she loves Nemo and daddy loves Nemo too.
The first question you should ask that will dictate all of your other aquarium needs is what do you want in the tank, if it's just Nemo & friends with no corals or anemone (real ones at least) then your job is going to be considerably easier. If you want all sorts of corals and anemones, etc then you're talking way more difficult.

Now, I want to buy 100+ gallon tank for few reasons, one is that I don't want to overcrowd my tank and start by having kind of open look and grow with tank considering I have no experience.
Answer that first question, trust me, it'll make everything much more clearer, 100g might seem like a large tank, but it won't take much to overcrowd it, and make it not so open. Considering you have no experience, I would go the direction I did (maybe a little more fancy) perhaps an all in one aquarium, toss a couple of "Nemo fish" in you could even do some softer corals with the built in lights and make your whole job a lot more easier.

Second is that more water more forgiveness in terms of params and more time to react.
Yes and no. I think of it like big boat vs small boat, big boat won't be as affected by a wave of a particular height as a small boat, but if you find yourself in trouble the big boat takes a lot more to steer it out of danger.

Third is that most of the equipments cost the same or almost same like skimmer for 60G will be $250 and for for 110G about $300 so why not give myself a decent chance by having a bigger tank, I have thought few more reasons but can't remember because I am really upset after getting the quote. :)
Well while true a larger capacity skimmer doesn't increase linearly in price for "capacity" (and take that number with a grain of salt) by going bigger you're going to be spending considerably more for the tank. More for lighting, more for electricity, more for chemicals/salt mix/etc. So you spent only $50 more for a bigger skimmer, but you end up spending $100 more a month on electricity, $1000 more for the larger tank, $800 more for lighting (yes I'm just throwing random numbers out there). What I would do, is get the 110G skimmer and put it on the 60G tank, since those sizes are usually overly inflated (or set for a minimal bioload tank)

Also, LFS was very helpful so I'm not complaining in any way, just making sure I'm making correct decision.
Without disclosing identity of the shop I'm going to ask for your opinion and help configure this thing.
You can use online stores to price some of this stuff, and I apologize if the LFS is reading this, but very often they will sell you everything they want you to buy for a tank, not necessarily need and not necessarily what you should buy for things you do need.

105G star fire rim less tank
48½ x 24½ x 21
Decent Stand no canopy

This probably will be your largest costing item. Rimless means much thicker glass, and Starphire (not fire) glass is considerably more expensive than normal glass, and often acrylic. Not sure if any manufacturers make this size tank as a stock size, but if it needs to be custom made I have a feeling you're going to get a big sticker shock quote on it.

2 - ehiem compact 5000 - do I need this exact pumps , they seem over kill?
1- R-300 refugium - do I need this exact one? it worth $350??
1 - SSA ES2 Skimmer -- is it good or something else is enough ? $450
3 - Kessil A350 - market rate - enough lighting ?
1 - Tunz osmolator universal
2- Vortech MP40 W ES
1 - controller
Not sure about call reactor considering not going to have much to begin with so will add later if needed.

To answer some of your questions, no you don't need that exact one... for ANYTHING. But before I comment on anything else, answer that first question, what do you want in your tank. That will help dictate the direction to go for all your equipment. If you want just fish and rocks the price on all that equipment drops like a rock, if you want full blow coral reef then you're looking towards the more expensive side of things... with the caveat that about half of that equipment I would not consider buying (other brands of something similar sure). Looking at the list though, it does look like a LFS trying to sell you a tank with their level of "advisement" (i.e. the equipment they have in stock or can easily order) Will it work? Sure, do you need that equipment though? Nope.

Hey- thanks for taking time to read my actual post :) lol...we are going way off the topic here so thanks for getting it back on track.

For a second I thought I'm union leader fighting with the company. :)

So my goal is to grow the reef slowly by not rushing it and making sure I do the right thing. At no point I'm going to overcrowd the tank. If I grow more than I anticipate the I will buy a new larger tank and so on. In 100 G I would have what 100G should have not more.

BAR's mission statement: to promote, foster, and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

BAYMAC said:
BAR's mission statement: to promote, foster, and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life.

Exactly. We Have to grow it. More growth more money and more technology and more research and more environment conservation. just to tell you how far behind we are from our mission, None in my family knows what a reef is and what corals are and I have a BIG family. A birthday party is about 300 people Nd wedding about 3000 relatives.

BAYMAC said:
More people = more death

Growth of the hobby via cheaper equipment is not an awesome thing, just the opposite.

The % of people that kill stuff and simply purchase more livestock will increase, is that really what we as a club want? Take a look at the mission statement for the club. It's well crafted and represents the mindset of those the founded the club, and those that still run it.

Some of us feel the price of livestock should be MUCH greater, like 4x the cost.

OK. I think we need to meet and get this over with. I'm going to bring my boxing gloves :)

Well, if you have so much experience then why don't you help me decide right equipments? And help build me a tank, Who says cheaper means bad quality and stuff dies ? Any ways I said before I can afford all the top of the shelf stuff so cost is not a concern for me. I was talking in general that its expensive.

BAYMAC said:
Not sure what you are trying to say with that link? Purchases were made via a local dealer, awesome, they got points along with Ecotech.

What I mean is there is no growth, people are not building new tanks and we are falling behind our mission. The reason is cost, everyone I talked to says that.

Anyways, none of my concern. This discussion is over. Expensive or not, I can afford it so no trouble.

gimmito said:
I guess you figured out who is more opinionated than others aye Nish ? :D

I surely did. LoL and I'm one of those fools too. ;)

ReefLove said:
So my goal is to grow the reef slowly by not rushing it and making sure I do the right thing. At no point I'm going to overcrowd the tank. If I grow more than I anticipate the I will buy a new larger tank and so on. In 100 G I would have what 100G should have not more.

That still doesn't answer the question, what are you expecting out of this tank? What do you want in it? Fish with rocks for them to swim around and crabs/snails climbing over everything will be radically different set of equipment needs than stony corals growing in full reef environment. You could prepare for the worst and buy the "best" stuff you MAY need, but then if you stick with the fish only that will be a very expensive tank that didn't need to be that expensive. There are many types of saltwater fish tanks out there, you have fish, corals both soft and hard, anemones, snails, crabs, starfish, eels (ok technically still a fish), aggressive fish, "communal" fish (to varying degrees), herbivores, carnivores, a rather large amount of difference ways you can do a salt water aquarium and it all ranges from somewhat easy and you can not put much additional time into it to very difficult and time consuming. I can not stress enough how important this decision is, lots of reefers have started in one direction and gone in another but often they update their equipment accordingly, which is perfectly fine but if you know what you want it'll make the whole "what to get" process extremely easier.

Also just a word of advice, I would probably try to steer away from the mentality of "I'll get a bigger tank" if things out grow too much. I've heard it many times with various fish from people I know and call friends. Ignoring the reality of the situation where most people don't get a bigger tank, they often run around trying to find a home for that tang that outgrew their 55g tank and finding that difficult, but think of the logistics of moving tanks. Will the newer larger tank be somewhere else in the house? Is there proper electricity wired up there? Is it going in the same place? Do you have enough containers to hold all the fish and other livestock alive along with a great deal of water while you drain the original tank and electricity to keep that stuff alive while you set up the new one including the cycling time of the new one which could last a few weeks.

100 gallons is by no means small, it isn't a very large size either. If you're jumping into the hobby and don't know what you want in your tank (That very important question that I keep stressing) I would seriously suggest on a smaller tank, that way moving to a large one is less of a hassle when you do eventually figure out what you want, and if this is a lot for your daughter, than a tiny all in one cube are actually really awesome and easy with a lot of gratification without headaches of what equipment you want. Or if you want bigger, stick with something stock size that has what you need, you might need to ditch the rimless idea, and you might need to ditch the starphire too (which IMO is overrated until you get really thick glass).

The main point here is you don't seem to know what you want and you've admitted to not knowing much (reading only gets you so far), it's better to figure out some of these things before you have to keep throwing money at a problem or chasing a dream that you're not even sure of what it is yet.

Maybe the best bet is to take a trip to a local aquarium (Steinhart is in San Francisco, Monterey is awesome but not too much on the saltwater side, hell go into various LFS and look at what they have as far as show tanks, get some ideas with what you may want to have in it and then go from there with your questions about what you may/may not need.

sfsuphysics said:
ReefLove said:

That still doesn't answer the question, what are you expecting out of this tank? What do you want in it? Fish with rocks for them to swim around and crabs/snails climbing over everything will be radically different set of equipment needs than stony corals growing in full reef environment. You could prepare for the worst and buy the "best" stuff you MAY need, but then if you stick with the fish only that will be a very expensive tank that didn't need to be that expensive. There are many types of saltwater fish tanks out there, you have fish, corals both soft and hard, anemones, snails, crabs, starfish, eels (ok technically still a fish), aggressive fish, "communal" fish (to varying degrees), herbivores, carnivores, a rather large amount of difference ways you can do a salt water aquarium and it all ranges from somewhat easy and you can not put much additional time into it to very difficult and time consuming. I can not stress enough how important this decision is, lots of reefers have started in one direction and gone in another but often they update their equipment accordingly, which is perfectly fine but if you know what you want it'll make the whole "what to get" process extremely easier.

Also just a word of advice, I would probably try to steer away from the mentality of "I'll get a bigger tank" if things out grow too much. I've heard it many times with various fish from people I know and call friends. Ignoring the reality of the situation where most people don't get a bigger tank, they often run around trying to find a home for that tang that outgrew their 55g tank and finding that difficult, but think of the logistics of moving tanks. Will the newer larger tank be somewhere else in the house? Is there proper electricity wired up there? Is it going in the same place? Do you have enough containers to hold all the fish and other livestock alive along with a great deal of water while you drain the original tank and electricity to keep that stuff alive while you set up the new one including the cycling time of the new one which could last a few weeks.

100 gallons is by no means small, it isn't a very large size either. If you're jumping into the hobby and don't know what you want in your tank (That very important question that I keep stressing) I would seriously suggest on a smaller tank, that way moving to a large one is less of a hassle when you do eventually figure out what you want, and if this is a lot for your daughter, than a tiny all in one cube are actually really awesome and easy with a lot of gratification without headaches of what equipment you want. Or if you want bigger, stick with something stock size that has what you need, you might need to ditch the rimless idea, and you might need to ditch the starphire too (which IMO is overrated until you get really thick glass).

The main point here is you don't seem to know what you want and you've admitted to not knowing much (reading only gets you so far), it's better to figure out some of these things before you have to keep throwing money at a problem or chasing a dream that you're not even sure of what it is yet.

Maybe the best bet is to take a trip to a local aquarium (Steinhart is in San Francisco, Monterey is awesome but not too much on the saltwater side, hell go into various LFS and look at what they have as far as show tanks, get some ideas with what you may want to have in it and then go from there with your questions about what you may/may not need.

Mike, my dear friend..you asked for it so here it goes.

1. I have about 10K to blow, 5K right now and then 5K as I need. My wife thinks just 5K total ;)
2. I have lots of time on my hand and this hobby is as good as any considering I don't want to start knitting sweaters. :)
3. Yes, there could be many things I don't know, but what i know is that I'm science minded and can pretty much understand most complex stuff without problem so this should not be a rocket science yes it will be challenging but not a rocket science. It is challenge part that attracts me.
4. I will have a balanced tank which means, small stuff like cleaner crews and then very small numbers of corals to begin and once tank matures I will add more things but as I said, I wont over crowd it. I do not want tank to occupy my life, it's just a hobby and not EVERYTHING. It's not that important.
5. Buying bigger tank because I want to have enough open space for water flow and for fishes to swim and also making sure my mistakes doesn't affect tank too much when I make them.
6. I don't want to go technical in terms of LPS, SPS dominated corals etc. I will take care of these questions as they come.
7. I had chemistry major with IT so I understand pretty well what Nitrogen cycle is and that's why my fishes didn't die. I have studied whole organic chemistry when I was 18 yrs old.
8. I have enough space to have 5000G tank in my living room and still space left for a pool table.
9. I'm 32 so nothing to loose and in any case I have lots of time And so need to keep my self occupied.
10. Above all the Main reason to build this tank is for my daughter, I never had a pet and I thought fish tank is a good fit as its beautiful mix of nature and science.

I do not really care about environment reasons behind hobby as I believe it's integral part of it and doesn't need explicit mention here, and who doesn't love nature. It's nice to think we are helping nature but hey what about all the electricity and chemicals you are using to run the tank so I think one way or another we end up hurting nature and hard to see benefits in our lifetimes, every which way we try but we loose my friend.

So are you done cross examination ? ;)

My opinions (and everyone is different) below.

> 105G star fire rim less tank
> 48½ x 24½ x 21
Good size. Rimless is a great option for working in.

> Decent Stand no canopy
Think about light escaping from tank to room before deciding on no canopy.
If near TV, can be an issue.

> 2 - ehiem compact 5000 - do I need this exact pumps , they seem over kill?
Reliable, but a power hog. Suggest Pan word 50PX-X. (I use 2 on a 250G)

> 1- R-300 refugium - do I need this exact one? it worth $350??
Decide on the stand first, get the biggest that fits yet is easy to work around in.
Suggest used, or Kritter tanks.

> 2- Vortech MP40 W ES
You might want to just use a couple of Koralia magnum 5 powerheads.

> 1 - controller
If you are getting a controller, hopefully it can control top off, so no ozmolator.

> Not sure about calk reactor
Don't think it makes sense for that size tank. Suggest 2-part, with peristaltic dosers on controller.

PS: You biggest expense will be electricity!
Always think about that when doing cost tradeoffs.

rygh said:
My opinions (and everyone is different) below.

> 105G star fire rim less tank
> 48½ x 24½ x 21
Good size. Rimless is a great option for working in.

> Decent Stand no canopy
Think about light escaping from tank to room before deciding on no canopy.
If near TV, can be an issue.

> 2 - ehiem compact 5000 - do I need this exact pumps , they seem over kill?
Reliable, but a power hog. Suggest Pan word 50PX-X. (I use 2 on a 250G)

> 1- R-300 refugium - do I need this exact one? it worth $350??
Decide on the stand first, get the biggest that fits yet is easy to work around in.
Suggest used, or Kritter tanks.

> 2- Vortech MP40 W ES
You might want to just use a couple of Koralia magnum 5 powerheads.

> 1 - controller
If you are getting a controller, hopefully it can control top off, so no ozmolator.

> Not sure about calk reactor
Don't think it makes sense for that size tank. Suggest 2-part, with peristaltic dosers on controller.

PS: You biggest expense will be electricity!
Always think about that when doing cost tradeoffs.

Thank you Mark. Very nice of you to point these things out. That's exactly what needed. Without experience how do I know what uses more power etc, so that's great to know.

Great to know about water top off in controller. I didn't even know it as a possibility. So thanks.

With this setup and 3 kessils 350 , how much more electric usage I should target ?
Which proton skimmer is good and even safer for over feeding situations ?

Thanks again

> With this setup and 3 kessils 350 , how much more electric usage I should target ?
With that setup, my guess is your heater will be the dominate use of power.
My 250G tank is about 6.5 KWH per day in the winter.
You really need to do a spreadsheet. Most equipment has wattage. Then guess at
the heater.

> Which proton skimmer is good and even safer for over feeding situations ?
There are MANY good ones.
I like the Super Reef Octopus. SRO-1000INT maybe 2000.
Buying a bit over-sized is good. Buying a LOT over-sized is actually bad.
The throat diameter needs to be matched with the crud removal.

Also:
You probably need to think about Nitrate and Phosphate export.
To start with : Just Carbon and GFO in a filter sock in the sump.
Get fancy later.

And you need an RODI system for water.

rygh said:
> With this setup and 3 kessils 350 , how much more electric usage I should target ?
With that setup, my guess is your heater will be the dominate use of power.
My 250G tank is about 6.5 KWH per day in the winter.
You really need to do a spreadsheet. Most equipment has wattage. Then guess at
the heater.

> Which proton skimmer is good and even safer for over feeding situations ?
There are MANY good ones.
I like the Super Reef Octopus. SRO-1000INT maybe 2000.
Buying a bit over-sized is good. Buying a LOT over-sized is actually bad.
The throat diameter needs to be matched with the crud removal.

Also:
You probably need to think about Nitrate and Phosphate export.
To start with : Just Carbon and GFO in a filter sock in the sump.
Get fancy later.

And you need an RODI system for water.

Yes. RODI comes under other 5K budget which wifey doesn't know about :)

I mostly work from home so in winter it's usually about 74 day and 70 at night.
I was thinking about algee in the sump to begin with and open to other suggestion.

gimmito said:
Hey Nish....at this rate you are going to pass my tank build post count. :p

May be...only if members don't kick me out. LoL and I'm alive after the boxing match with Baymac. ;)

ReefLove said:
4. I will have a balanced tank which means, small stuff like cleaner crews and then very small numbers of corals to begin and once tank matures I will add more things but as I said, I wont over crowd it. I do not want tank to occupy my life, it's just a hobby and not EVERYTHING. It's not that important.

6. I don't want to go technical in terms of LPS, SPS dominated corals etc. I will take care of these questions as they come.
This is all I was really asking for, and now I can answer some of your hardware questions as a result since it seems like you want a reef tank instead of just a fish tank, and do keep in mind as has been said many times people will have varying opinions.

105G star fire rim less tank
48½ x 24½ x 21
Decent Stand no canopy

If you're stuck on this tank, then so be it, I'll again mention custom will cost you more, a LOT more. Rimless is nice, and if you want that smooth look, all the better. My only advice is to set it up in a typical tank/sump setup. Meaning display above, overflows which bring water to sump below. Your sump should be large enough to hold a skimmer, and enough water that will go down into it should a break in power occur. All your heaters, and return pumps will go in there. If you're going to have a refugium, very often this is the place for it, meaning no separate refugium necessary.

2 - ehiem compact 5000 - do I need this exact pumps , they seem over kill?
You don't need these exact pumps, you really need enough water to pump from your sump back to your display tank. I don't often like my return pumps being major water movers, so I'll usually go on the small side for my return pump. I use a Quiet One 4000 on my 180g tank, and that is about as low a quality as I'd be willing to go with for return pumps. Feel free to shop around and get more. I don't think there is any tangible benefit to having two return pumps though, if you're going to use two pumps one of them should be put into a closed loop situation. These types of pumps usually are "expensive" watts as far as water movement goes. Overall my only advice here is go only 1 pump, and there are too many different types to choose from to say one is better than another.

1- R-300 refugium - do I need this exact one? it worth $350?
See comment above, I wouldn't even bother with this. Either have a refugium chamber in your sump, or find a use acrylic tank and plumb it into the system where your return gets split between the two.

1 - SSA ES2 Skimmer -- is it good or something else is enough ? $450
Never heard of this brand but a quick search shows it uses a Sicce pump which are decent pumps for skimmers. I wouldn't go with the cone shape, as that's a premium upgrade cost with little to no proven benefit other than it benefits makers more because they charge more :D For a 100g tank that skimmer might be a bit overkill, unless you plan on feeding a lot, either way, something like a Reef Octopus might save you a hundred bucks or so and give you a similar result.

3 - Kessil A350 - market rate - enough lighting ?
That is one way to go, and should be more than enough light. The upside is you can tune the blue and white channels on each independently to get whatever color you want on the tank. The downside is that there is no built in timing functions, so they're either off or on (and you need to get something to deal with the timing). Another option I've been looking at is the Maxspect Razor, you could get away with 2 of those over your tank, and they have built in timing controllers, meaning you can have the lights come on a lower intensity then ramp up to a full intensity and even have times where only the blue spectrum is on, etc. I realize the store you are shopping at might not carry this though, although if it's the store that I think you're talking about he should be more than happy to order what you want rather than what he has in stock. Something to think about. You said you want some corals, so either of these choices should give you the output you need whether you do soft corals or hard corals.

1 - Tunz osmolator universal
Basically a fresh water top off, one of the more pricier options out there. There are others which provide the same thing and are quite a bit cheaper, maybe not with the same technology though. You will want something like this though to make your life easier. Also do note in this direction you also need some sort of freshwater reservoir in your stand (or in a closet out of the way behind the tank).

2- Vortech MP40 W ES
Again this is one way to go. Vortechs have a nice feature being as the pumps are magnetically coupled to the outside so no wires inside the tank, however if one of the sides of the tank is going to be "viewable" then that restricts a side to put them on, so 2 of these would be a bit of a waste (the 24" backside to front distance is a little short to put these on the back wall). Either way I would go with some mass-water movement device that move lots of water will little power, other than Vortech, you could go with Tunze pumps, some are rather small too so putting on the back wall isn't an issue, Korallia also makes similar type of high water flow pumps. Also not everyone needs pumps with oscillation, which adds significantly to the price of the pumps whether it's Vortech or Tunze pumps although Vortech doesn't make non-controllable versions where as with Tunze you can get something that just has a particular output. Really it's up to you though. I don't think you'll go wrong with Vortech pumps, but some have said they can get loud, louder than Tunze pumps at least.

1 - controller
Nothing of what you said makes me think you need a controller. I hate to say this, and I know you'll hate me saying this, but you need to answer the question of "What do you need/want to control" before figuring out what you need here. If you're going to go the Kessil route, and want an on/off timer for your lights that's going to be a very expensive light timer switch. None of your pumps need to be hooked up to your controller, if you go with other types of lighting like one particular one I mentioned, then you don't need your lights to be controlled either. The only thing that's left is any heaters for your tank, which do come with controllers built in (some better than others) but you can buy a heating controller specifically for them if necessary. A controller, whether it's a Reefkeeper Elite or Apex, is a really expensive toy that isn't as necessary as most people believe.

Also don't neglect things like water changes, how are you going to do them? Simply drain outside or to a bathroom and fill up with smaller containers. Or wheel out the Brute garbage cans and drain in one and fill with the other, etc. These are the little things that IMO wives tend to care more about than cost, no wife wants their nice living room with a water spill, or an ugly garbage can you're mixing saltwater in, etc. :D

Oh and no calcium reactor, leave room for it your sump, but starting out you can usually keep up with any demands via topping off manually.

I do not really care about environment reasons behind hobby as I believe it's integral part of it and doesn't need explicit mention here, and who doesn't love nature. It's nice to think we are helping nature but hey what about all the electricity and chemicals you are using to run the tank so I think one way or another we end up hurting nature and hard to see benefits in our lifetimes, every which way we try but we loose my friend.
Not quite sure I was really implying any sort of environmental consequences of having a tank, but more along the lines of I've seen plenty of people buy equipment they did not need, then go around and try to sell it and be a little depressed/down as to why no one wanted to buy it for anywhere close to what they paid for it.

Just ordered Red Sea Max s 500. 135 Gallon. May be not the best choice for everyone but its kind of best for me. It's going to save me lots of trouble in making decisions and that is what I'm concerned. This way I can just blame RSM and dealers. ;)

And it has a Staphire glass on it.

Check it out : Red Sea Max S Series 500

See that was easy!

BTW, is this just the tank? Or the whole system as laid out in the PDF document?

Either way you have your base, you don't have to think about anything, and if you don't like anything that may come with it you can always swap out later.

Back