Our mission

1100 Gallon Salt Water Aquarium System

Clearly this is a passion for a very specific group which is why I am trying to reach out and find someone who will enjoy it.....I have learned a lot I had no idea so much money could be spend on such an amazing project......but clearly there is a passion for this so I am doing all I can for my seller.....watching the weather if I hold it open on Sunday I will update and you all can come see this amazing project......and hopefully help me out :)

Cindy -- if the owners already have a reef service company taking care of the tank they would be the perfect folks to "hire" to help sell it with the house if a buyer seems interested.

Last edited:
if you think just under 200k is peanuts....for that system....I think that is more than peanuts......The build design and receipts are attached to the disclosures....so it really isn't a secret...at his list price it is way less than what he has put into the home...not including this improvement.
Ouch, well if he's wanting to recoup any non-insignificant amount of money, find a buyer for the house because no hobbyist would ever pay anywhere close to that kind of money for the custom dream of someone else. Heck, even if he parted out the equipment he'd be lucky to recoup 20% of that initial investment because that price tag screams custom everything and that means it's way more expensive then anything that you can buy brand new that exists out there, even made to order things that are not mass produced. And anyone who was willing to pay such a high amount (even 25% that cost) would probably rather get their own vision customized rather than try to shoe horn into someone else.

Good luck with that sale.

Nobody will buy a house for the aquarium. It’s a non-factor. It’s not even a plus for someone who loves the hobby. Not an improvement...More, a liability for the buyer. Think of it as if your client was a wood carver and they carved up a huge tree trunk and permanently installed it in their entryway. There may be an artist that appreciates the effort, or perhaps a random person who loves it, but odds are slim. A wood carver would carve up their own tree and install it. The other 99% see it as a nuisance and would likely pay for its removal.

Equipment depreciates quickly and people are very particular with their setups. Install and maintenance are sunk costs. Aquariums are notorious money pits.

Ouch, well if he's wanting to recoup any non-insignificant amount of money, find a buyer for the house because no hobbyist would ever pay anywhere close to that kind of money for the custom dream of someone else. Heck, even if he parted out the equipment he'd be lucky to recoup 20% of that initial investment because that price tag screams custom everything and that means it's way more expensive then anything that you can buy brand new that exists out there, even made to order things that are not mass produced. And anyone who was willing to pay such a high amount (even 25% that cost) would probably rather get their own vision customized rather than try to shoe horn into someone else.

Good luck with that sale.

He already knows he is not going to recoup the money he has put into this house

House looks really nice and seems priced to sell. Interesting that houses in Oakland half that size with similar views are going for not that much less. Does seem like this house needs the perfect buyer, similar to that huge house that just sold a month or so ago up near Merritt College with the indoor pool.

PG&E and me...we ain’t cheep
But we’re worth it

Get the tank out of the property...it’s a liability
If the buyer is an aquarium enthusiast, they’ll be able to purchase a new system

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas.....I did have to go the property today so I tried to take some pictures of the back end of this I don't even know what to call it I am going to see if I can try to post the pictures from my phone...

It’s called sump/fish room. Download tapatalk and upload using the app makes your life easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
These are Cindy's photos of the sump room
cb9855c33eefca1ee5af10f523ec4985.jpg
8f032cfd49def4baa648d1c717cf6b00.jpg
675f81b7849c8a6a93bea11b9b098834.jpg
5192c3ac37ad192c3efee45ee2af771f.jpg
d0e143d4aaff43b83136f1eca4fd7ae2.jpg
5bf9b03a0300c4b98adc0bd4435c373a.jpg
d7491f1a28569758d8ccbff057329c0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930S using Tapatalk

Well I can definitely see where the cost of this system is, while yes the equipment is good (high end end stuff) Tenji is one of the premiere tank/system designers out there. So yeah you're paying for their expertise, usually companies will be the ones hiring them for some massive show piece in a lobby or something only people with money burning holes in their pockets who want the instant gratification would hire them for a personal build.

I hate to criticize this too, but it really seems like a lot of extras that really are wasted for what effectively is a plastic coral insert fish tank. Similar to what those guys on the "Tanked" show do. Now if you turned that into a reef tank instead of a fish tank the equipment would make a lot more sense.

Comparing the pictures looks like the living area where the tank is viewable is sunken down, or is the fish room just raised up on a half floor higher?

Of course we wish you the best. And kudos for the extra effort of contacting local enthusiasts.

But I am not really even sure a hobbyist would like this sort of tank.
It is way off the ground for viewing, so you really can only see large fish.
It has plastic inserts, not real coral.
Agree with above, it seems like something you see on the TV show "Tanked,"
not something you would see with people in this club.

Unfortunately, parting it out, for fish and used equipment, you would be lucky to get $10K.

When I put my pool in - I spent a fair bit. (Far less than $200K though)
But I know that a pool will not add value to the house. Might even lower it a bit.
This is just like that.
Just try to sell it, and hope for the best.

But really, convince the owner they will not get value added out of it, and price appropriately.
(Like $1.75 M)

KEY: As a hobbyist:
When I look at that tank, I think "Wow, cool"
I do not think "I want that"

Last edited:
Of course we wish you the best. And kudos for the extra effort of contacting local enthusiasts.

But I am not really even sure a hobbyist would like this sort of tank.
It is way off the ground for viewing, so you really can only see large fish.
It has plastic inserts, not real coral.
Agree with above, it seems like something you see on the TV show "Tanked,"
not something you would see with people in this club.

Unfortunately, parting it out, for fish and used equipment, you would be lucky to get $10K.

When I put my pool in - I spent a fair bit. (Far less than $200K though)
But I know that a pool will not add value to the house. Might even lower it a bit.
This is just like that.
Just try to sell it, and hope for the best.

But really, convince the owner they will not get value added out of it, and price appropriately.
(Like $1.75 M)

KEY: As a hobbyist:
When I look at that tank, I think "Wow, cool"
I do not think "I want that"

My seller realizes he will not get his money out of this home....the amount of money he spent on window coverings would buy a nice car...plus this improvement and many others he has done he knows he is not going to get all of the money he put into this home he will not get it back....this little section of the area keeps fluctuation seems like every day.....one day it is up and the next day it is down.....it has been pretty hard to predict how this sale would go....there are a few really nice homes that have come on the market since we listed....all of them are exceptional....but all are so different....hoping to find the buyer that realizes how special this home is....

I think the seller should take care of removing the aquarium system and patch walls like nothing was there. He can donate the equipment to the Cal Academy of Sciences for a tax write off I’m sure. Not many hobbyists would want to build a room for a giant protein skimmer; for a fish tank yes but not for a poop extracing machine only.
If you can measure the display tank only and state whether is glass or acrylic, maybe someone in the club would ditch the 200G for a mini pool sized saltwater box; that is in the event the seller decides to remove the tank.

Clearly I have learned a lot posting this....but I guess maybe it was the wrong place....I had no idea there was such a separation of reefs vs fish aquariums I guess....so maybe I picked the wrong audience.....again thank you for all of your tips suggestions and comments I appreciate it :)

I sell a lot of horse properties so that is a pretty easy audience for me to market to this one has been completely different and just trying to find that special someone who will want this :)

Well seller has pulled house off the market I know he is disappointed that it has not sold....and wants a new agent....so it is what it is I know I held that house open and did all I could to find a special buyer......but he wants a new agent....so I do know a lot about this home if you know anyone who would love it I would be the best buyer agent you could ever ask for :) so have your friends call me if they want this home :)

Back