Cali Kid Corals

120 G, Single Overflow or Dual Overflow?

My friend gave me his used AGA 120 G (4 x 2 x 2) tank. It originally had dual corner overflows, but the guy he got it from removed one of the corners and didn't keep it (he used that side for a water change drain). I also have 2 x Coralvue CV-102B powerheads ~ 1250 gph rated each

I am having a really really difficult time finding the same replacement from Aqueon.

Should I...

1. Just keep one side, and plug up the other side (I should have enough flow?)
2. Make another corner (not rounded though) out of black acrylic (will not match and may ruin look of tank)
3. Can I do some kind of closed loop with that extra corner?
4. (If anyone can help me source another corner)

I have attached some pics. Thanks.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/photo 2.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/photo_5.jpg

#2. I don't think it would ruin the look of your tank. You could always reef back it with foam/live rock/epoxy :)

Ditto the suggestion for #2. Backups are always welcome. Just don't use both overflows to the max. Meaning don't use a return pump that requires both overflows to run at max capacity.

Once you've filled the tank, nobody will be looking at the overflows.

V

After hearing some horror stories about overflows getting blocked, potentially causing giant problems, I would also recommend option #2. The survivors of tank crashes love to stress redundancy in systems. So two overflows would be much safer than one!

Back