High Tide Aquatics

125 gallon for larger tangs?????

Yes I do, I have 4 tangs, 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tomini & 1 kole tang. They're all currently in a 270g tank, they were in a 375g but I downsized that. Of tangs the bristletooth species (in my case Tomini and Kole) are smaller tangs that are suitable in a smaller aquarium, the purple and yellow can get large but in a very long time. I can only guestimate the size of the fish to be somewhere between 5-7 inches each, so they're not terribly large but still good sized (I might be underestimating their size too because in bigger tanks things do tend to look smaller). And no reselling, I didn't believe that fish should be swapped about for newer fish just because you get bored of them or want different ones.

Now many people would (and do) have this many tangs or more in tanks smaller than mine, but like I said I tend to be a little more cautious when it comes to tangs, they're great fish but they primarily serve a cleaning purpose in my tank, the two bristletoothed ones scrape at algae on rocks, and the two zebrasoma ones pick at algae on rocks, and I won't lie 3 of them are usually inexpensive in stores (not the purple :D). Now I'm not going to tell you what to do, because my fish philosophy tends to be more on the conservative side than others, but if it were me I'd probably put 1 tang in a 6 foot long tank just get it at a smaller size, now my 375g tank was only 6 feet, but it was 5 feet wide in the other direction so there was an absolute ton of swimming room compared to the 18 inch width of a 125g tank.

That said, $100 for a few sheets of glass, well if $100 is nothing to you, then it could be a fun DIY project, you might learn a thing or two, but I wouldn't count on the tank for long term stuff. I did something similar with an 80g Leemar cube where the bottom was broken so I replaced it with PVC, and sure enough the tank held water just fine for a long time, and I put fish in it, but I got the tank for free as he was going to throw it away, so like I said it was a fun DIY project primarily.
So u don't think the reseal job will last forever? U think is will start leaking again in a year or two??

That's hard to say. It could last a long time. I'm also looking for a 125 for a fish only. People leave this hobby all the time. Just keep your eyes open. I'm sure you and I are seeing the same tanks

How much do u think a larger tank would be? I'm looking for around $1 per gallon in young and not willing to drop $1000+ on a tank yet. I already got a nice 90 gal barley used and I was thinking to add this one to my collection in storage so when the time comes I find a larger tank or an expensive coral I had something to trade or barter with instead of dropping a bunch of money. So I guess my question is do u think I'd be ably to find a 300 gal tank for around $300-450??
Up keep is expensive? What part of the maintenance is expensive? Or more expensive then a regular tank I thought the bigger the Easyer. And those r some good points about moving

That's hard to say. It could last a long time. I'm also looking for a 125 for a fish only. People leave this hobby all the time. Just keep your eyes open. I'm sure you and I are seeing the same tanks
Yup, I gave away my 375g acrylic tank just recently, I sold my 80g Leemar (with no fixing problems) for $100, my 180g acrylic I think I sold for $200. It's usually just enough to be stop the people who simply want free and wanting people to jump all over it because they want the tank.

So u don't think the reseal job will last forever? U think is will start leaking again in a year or two??
Ahh, your post said reSELLing, thought you were asking if I'd sell my tangs :D

As to resealing, first no glass tank will last forever, however they will usually last "long enough" such that you either upgrade or something else needs replacing with the tank. How it will go is highly dependent upon how you handle it, are you using the right stuff to seal it, are you leaving enough of a gap for the stuff to be, are you keeping the tank level, are you letting it cure properly before putting any water in it. Obviously it could last "forever" if you have tank builder level of skill, I will say though however though that if you simply put a bead of silicone in the corners over the old stuff it will not last, you really want to get between the panes of glass that's where the magic really happens and that requires you to dissemble the whole tank and clean all the glass (silicone does not stick to silicone well). It's a bit more involved than putting a few glass baffles into a sump.

Ya I realize I'm gunna need to take the hole tank apart and remove all the silicone clean it up leave a gap between the glass and silicone the crap out of it. I have faith in my self just trying to figure out if it's worth it and if that's the tank I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it'd be worth it if you can pull it off, you'll get a 125g tank for $100 + probably another $40 in quality silicone and what every labor and headache time you deal with, now if that is good enough then sure, sometimes the time to do something exceeds the desire to have it for "cheap"

Whether it's what you want is a whole other story. While the 6 foot length might be attractive compared to what you have now, how does the width compare? Everyone is different though, some people like the really long tanks, some people like really wide tanks, and some even prefer really tall tanks, and of course some happy medium of all 3 in between. Me I'm a fan of long wide tanks (at least 8 feet long and 30" wide), not necessarily too tall though (24" and under). Heck I have the space to put in a 10' x 3' x 2' tank, but not sure I want to deal with the added headache involved in a water change schedule for that much tank, which is half the reason why I got rid of my 375G tank.

Well it'd be worth it if you can pull it off, you'll get a 125g tank for $100 + probably another $40 in quality silicone and what every labor and headache time you deal with, now if that is good enough then sure, sometimes the time to do something exceeds the desire to have it for "cheap"

Whether it's what you want is a whole other story. While the 6 foot length might be attractive compared to what you have now, how does the width compare? Everyone is different though, some people like the really long tanks, some people like really wide tanks, and some even prefer really tall tanks, and of course some happy medium of all 3 in between. Me I'm a fan of long wide tanks (at least 8 feet long and 30" wide), not necessarily too tall though (24" and under). Heck I have the space to put in a 10' x 3' x 2' tank, but not sure I want to deal with the added headache involved in a water change schedule for that much tank, which is half the reason why I got rid of my 375G tank.

Agree. I like wide (front to back) tanks and would rather have a cube than a long narrow tank. A long and wide tank would be perfect! Would love to have the space for a 12'/4'/2' tank. I think I can swing a 12'/30"/2'. Will have to see how this 190g experiment goes!

Agree. I like wide (front to back) tanks and would rather have a cube than a long narrow tank. A long and wide tank would be perfect! Would love to have the space for a 12'/4'/2' tank. I think I can swing a 12'/30"/2'. Will have to see how this 190g experiment goes!

Where would you put that 450 gallon tank? Peninsula in the garage next to the 190 up against the wall?

It's deff worth the time and headache I'm in no rush to set up the new tank so I got all the time in the world to do it right. just looking for a perfect tank and I want to get what ever fish I want without worrying about the welfare of the fish (tangs need a lot a swimming space at the end of the day it's about the health of the fish not my happiness) so I'm looking for a tanks that I don't have to many limitations on fish. But I think I'm starting to learn bigger isn't always better. What makes a bigger tank more expensive? I know I'll need bigger equipment but other then that??? Water changes?

Bigger tank is more expensive for a variety of reasons. The associated equipment is more expensive (ie skimmer, more and larger power heads). Water changes are larger and thus more expensive. Chemicals -- calcium, alk, etc -- are more expensive with the greater water volume. Feeding the fish is probably more expensive in most cases as you have larger or more fish. But the biggest extra expense is in lighting a tank that size properly for corals -- both in the cost of the lights, bulbs when needed and electricity.

It's deff worth the time and headache I'm in no rush to set up the new tank so I got all the time in the world to do it right. just looking for a perfect tank and I want to get what ever fish I want without worrying about the welfare of the fish (tangs need a lot a swimming space at the end of the day it's about the health of the fish not my happiness) so I'm looking for a tanks that I don't have to many limitations on fish. But I think I'm starting to learn bigger isn't always better. What makes a bigger tank more expensive? I know I'll need bigger equipment but other then that??? Water changes?

Just take the difference I will be going through for water changes alone. 40g vs 190g. At 25% every 2 weeks for example.

I use Red Sea Coral Pro. A bucket makes 175 according to the label. But that is at 1.021 sg. I run 1.026 but lets take their suggestion of 1.025 to make calculations easier. It takes 1.6lb to make 5g @ 1.025, its pretty accurate. I weigh the salt before adding and 1.6lb does make 5g of nsw @ 1.025sg.

So to make nsw for the 40g at 25% (10g) it would be 3.2lb. So the bucket will last me a little over 15 water changes. I would need 1.7 buckets a year.

The 190 water change @ 25% would be 47.5g which would take 15.2lb. A bucket will last me about 3 water changes. I would need 8.7 buckets a year.

@$72 a bucket, the yearly salt cost in WC for the 40g will be about $125. The 190 will cost me $624 (YIKES!). Reason why a lot of big tank owners go with regular IO salt. A 200g box costs under $40 shipped to your door!

Back