Cali Kid Corals

14g Oceanic BioCube "Mods"

I have a few questions about how to get my 14g to be more efficient. I've decided to swap it out for the 29g Oceanic BioCube 150w MH-HQI, but that will be my Christmas present, so I just want to do some stuff that will be cheap to keep it in good shape until then. I'm moving lots of zoa frags from my 34g to it since I'm trying to do some spring cleaning in my 34g, so it is basically a holding tank. Here are my questions:

1. I've been considering upgrading the pump for a while. I want something that will give more GPH. Any suggestions for this? If I upgrade the pump, I'll also get a rotating flo deflector wave maker thingy.

2. I have the Oceanic BioCube skimmer which is super, super crappy. It is broken, but I know what the problem is and do have the part to fix it. I was thinking that I could fix it if it is worth it (is it worth it?), or I could save my money and invest in a new one. If I invested in a new one, I would want a good one that is small and worth using. I would also want it to be able to fit in the first compartment on the 14g biocube so I can use it now, and I would like it to be able to fit somewhere in the back chambers of the 29g BioCube. Any suggestions?

3. This isn't really a mod question, but how often do you think I should change carbon filter pad thingy?

I currently have an extra mini-filter that does 90GPH in the middle chamber of my 14g, and I drilled a hole in the cover for that chamber to run the cord through. I also took out the sponge filter and the bio balls.

Thanks! :bigsmile:

For my 12g Aquapod, I'm running a Maxijet 900 with the Hydor rotating outlet. Good flow with low heat. Works fine for softies.

I used to have a Koralia 1 in there too, which is nice if you want to do more than softies.

I'd skip the skimmer, and just do carbon and water changes. Why bother with a skimmer on such a small tank when you could just do a 5 gallon water change, y'know?

Mr. Ugly said:
For my 12g Aquapod, I'm running a Maxijet 900 with the Hydor rotating outlet. Good flow with low heat. Works fine for softies.

I used to have a Koralia 1 in there too, which is nice if you want to do more than softies.

I'd skip the skimmer, and just do carbon and water changes. Why bother with a skimmer on such a small tank when you could just do a 5 gallon water change, y'know?
Exactly what I did. MJ900, Hydor, Koralia, carbon, 5g WC.

I'll look on Marine Depot since they have lots of stuff and order the MaxiJet 900 and the Hydor. I have carbon and I can easily do 5g WC. When I get the 29 should I just do like a 2.5g WC twice a week or should I invest in a skimmer and do water changes? :)

Check out Nano Reef. They have a lot of info on BioCubes and recommended mods:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788&st=460&start=460

I would get rid of the filter supplied, remove all the bio balls and replace with a media basket and under water lights to give you a fuge:
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-14-Media-Basket-BC14MR.htm
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/DOUBLE-Underwater-Light-DOUBLEQL02.htm
Now you can have macro algae, run carbon and filter floss on the top.

Don't need a skimmer, just do weekly water changes.

Back