150 gallon home reef journal.

Discussion in 'Fish Doctor' started by fishdoctor, Sep 26, 2018.

1. fishdoctor

fishdoctor Sponsor Staff Member

After running my home reef for 10 years in one place I had to move it in August.

The tank had been empty for 6 weeks while I finished my move and went to MACNA. As of today it is back in action and cycling.

Tank is a 15+ year old Oceanic glass tank with dual overflows.
    Dimensions are 48x24x30

I am switching to a bare bottom from a minimal sand bottom, and using real reef branch and some dry rock to start.

This will be a SPS focused mixed reef with animals being transferred slowly (at some point) from my previous livestock and a customers tank that had some super nice livestock that I acquired.

This tank will be running 2 Neptune Wav pumps a MP60 and a MP40 for water circulation.

Main pump is a L1 and I will be running separate battery back ups on my return pump and a MP40 pump.

Lighting is a 6 bulb T5 54watt fixture and I will be spot lighting the SPS with two AI prime led lights.

Filtration includes a reef octopus PO2000 skimmer, kessil A80 refugium light, avast marine skimmer locker, MR10 media reactor and chaetomorphia reactor.

Supplementation for chemicals will be provided by dual DOS units by Neptune.

Monitoring will be provided by a Neptune Apex Classic along with a Seneye Server unit.

Heat is provided by a finnex 600 watt titanium heater controlled by a Ranco controller.

Not likely but if necessary a 1/3 hp chiller is standing by.

So now the hurry up and wait begins.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rygh likes this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Are those fittings to protect the bottom or hold the branches upright or ???
    You may want to look into making some cement bottoms for them instead unless you are gonna hide those with corals I guess. Like the branch pieces a lot.

fishdoctor likes this.
  3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

That’s a lot of flow. Too much is better than too little though.

fishdoctor likes this.
  4. Apon

Apon Volunteer

:confused: I miss the sand.

fishdoctor likes this.
  5. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Do you have to protect the bottom from falling rock?
    This will be cool to follow - interested to see future corals with the branch rock!

6. fishdoctor

Running actinic lights only after week 1

Week 2 down and microbacter7 has been added the past 3 days and ongoing daily the next week to 10 days.
    I will start feeding lightly every other day starting on week 3.

Skimmer pulled about a cup a week the first 2 weeks and now is slowing down due to lack of nutrients.

Chaetomorphia algae was added to the sump and the kessil a80 turned on.
    One ‘live’ rock with a single mushroom added to left side base to hide rock supports.

Seneye setup and new slide added.

Apex set up in cabinet, waiting till this weekend to turn on and set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fishdoctor

The PVC union pieces are to allow the branches to be held upright with minimal additional rock, I will add more rock to hide the supports as the livestock is transferred over after the tank is cycled.
    Loving the look myself so much so that I enjoy looking at the tank while empty. It is going to be amazing when fish and livestock are added, can’t wait.

8. fishdoctor

I am a risk taker and no starboard or other material is being used to cover the bottom at this time.
    I plan to add quite a few ceramic tiles to grow corals on the bottom that will cover a large portion of the exposed glass bottom and provide some protection to the bottom with my high end corals breaking the fall if anything does fall.
    I will brace the branches with additional rock as I start to move coral and some rock into the tank.
    Soon..

9. fishdoctor

[​IMG]

Well that was quick, the nitrate reading was 2ppm yesterday and today I added a pair of cleaner shrimp.

Working on finishing the Apex control cabinet and staining the stand in places where the stain has worn off this weekend.

Next weekend may be time to add some fish and programming the Apex.

[​IMG]

10. fishdoctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Week 3

Programmed Apex and added pumps, still need to add and set up the DOS pumps.

Added 12 snails and 2 corals
    (Green polyp toadstool & orange ricordia)

Changed all T5 bulbs

Water testing and water changes coming up this weekend, perhaps more corals as well.

tankguy likes this.