got ethical husbandry?

180 gallon build thread aka Jims' bad idea!

Thanks, the lure of gyres is that they offer much higher flow rates with smaller pumps. The same is true of penductors. It'll be interesting to see the growth forms in a true linear flow system.

Ok, here are some quickie pics of the new tank :D

Sorry for the yellow. My camera white balance was off.

DSCN1778.jpg

DSCN1779.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg

Closed loop supply and return with eductor.

DSCN1783.jpg

A little closer view of the tank.

DSCN17822.jpg

And a lot closer views of some livestock.

Blue cespitularia
DSCN1790.jpg

Phong's(?) Kenya tree
DSCN1784.jpg

Cloves
DSCN1785.jpg

Calfo Pulsing Sinularia
DSCN1787.jpg

Phong's macro algae
DSCN1795.jpg

And of course.... sewer polyps :D
DSCN1786.jpg

Wow an educator to power the gyre... that should give some impressive flow

Do (did) those rocks (how un Jim like :D) reduce the flow at all on the top?

Hey Mike, yup eductors (or in this case the smaller penductor) are going to make a big impact on closed loop design moving forward,imho. And they're not too expensive to add to a tank. I think they're $25 each plus shipping, although I just "borrowed" "my" penductor from Rich (who owes who a lunch now Rich?). The downside is that you apparently need a pressure pump with a pretty decent rating to get the highest efficiency out of them. I've seen homemade eductor threads where the parts were $5 a nozzle at Lowes
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23750&page=3
so give it a try.
Flow is quite impressive and this tank could be powered by that alone if it were for softies only.
I think the rocks reduce the linear flow immediately downstream of them, but I think they don't really reduce the overall velocity of the gyre too much.
The rocks are only there because this is a hybrid tank (display/culture) and it's better for the magazine pics.
I think penducted gyre tanks represent a great way to do prop tanks at higher velocity for fewer watts.
The tank is powered by a Mak 4 (Iwaki 55RLT clone) for the CL and a mag 12 open at about 85% for the sump return.
I think it's about 165 gallon tank up top (6'x2'x20") and a 120g sump at 1/3-12 full so I prob have about 200-225 gal total volume.
Thanks to everyone who has helped/ donated to this effort.
Reef Hobbyist Magazine www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com
Truvu http://www.truvuaquariums.com/index.html
Richard Ross http://www.stickycricket.com/aquarium/index.html
ASAP Aquatic Specialties And Pets Hayward, CA
Norman Tom in Particular for building an awesome stand and continued support.
The anonymous donor of the Mak 4 pressure pump.
And Jake Adams for getting us all talking about this concept http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

Wow looking good... I have a Dolphin 4700 you can have Jim. I try to sell it but for some reason nobody want to buy it ;D .. I think it's 3.2AMP though. You won't need a penductor for that :D ..

Oh I see my candycane too 8) ..

Yeah, I read that DIY educator thread, although personally spending an extra $20 probably seems worth the time, unless you did quite a few of them. The downside as you mentioned is the need for a "pressure rated" pump, and the conservative (not politically ;)) side of me just can't see losing that much additional volume per watt, translation pressure rated pumps use a ton more electricity than non-pressure rated pumps regardless of how much head they're pushing against, upside is I've read a few people mention that you get back that power in terms of additional water flow. Now I'm unsure if they mean velocity or actual total water volume moving, but I'm sure there's some funky hydrodynamics going on with them that causes this effect. Big problem is I don't know of anyone who has accurately said how much additional flow you get to see if it's worth it.

Although they are definitely on my radar for a potential closed loop project, of course another downside is you can't use any water alternating devices with them (ocean motion, etc) maybe a seaswirl would work.. but who knows.

Anyways, carry on.. 12 amp pump?? eegads.

Well, today is the 2 week anniversary for the tank so I have a few thoughts and I'll also share some of the thoughts others have had.
First, penductors are well worth it, including the additional price for a pressure pump. The flow is totally amazing and I feel like I could run the whole 6 foot tank with just the Mak 4 penductor closed loop flow if it was just for softies. The gyre baffles don't go all the way to the front of the tank (1.5" shy) and the amount of bleedthrough from the 2 sides of the baffle plates is considerable. I did consider this but didn't think the effect would be so dramatic. I'll be extending the baffle right to the front once the swap corals are out and I have some more room to move things.
On a general note, there has been little apparent recycling of the system which I attribute to well cycled, robust live rock, large, frequent water changes during the initial 2 weeks, and the enhanced flow which I think makes for a higher DO level overall. From day one, I've had better pe in this system than expected and a lot of the corals are showing significant growth in just 2 weeks.
Conclusions at this point-
"Linear" flow is no problem in reef tanks and in reality becomes turbulent flow right around the animals anyway.
Reinforcing flow patterns with all outlets and returns in the tank is good.
Penductors are very cool.
Gyres are also very cool but need to be done correctly.

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2024.msg22552#msg22552 date=1186077173]
Yeah, 3/8" From the Depot. You should just come by sometime Dudley.
[/quote]

Did you get the one with the one blue side? I like that blue for tank bottoms, I had all Cortez's tanks on it.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2024.msg22771#msg22771 date=1186250589]
[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2024.msg22552#msg22552 date=1186077173]
Yeah, 3/8" From the Depot. You should just come by sometime Dudley.
[/quote]

Did you get the one with the one blue side? I like that blue for tank bottoms, I had all Cortez's tanks on it.
[/quote]
The sheets I got are white on one side and white w/ blue writing on the other.

Back