Neptune Aquatics

2 mp40 or 1 mp60??

Thales said:
melly mel said:
About to purchase my vortechs this weekend....should I go with 2 mp40 or 1 mp60 for my 48x24x20 100 gallon?

Depends on your 'scape. If you think the tank is going to be tight, go with the 2. If its going to be open go with the one. I am a big fan of being to switch the direction of the gyre in a system for a million reasons, so I would go with the 2 even if it was open 'scaped.

1,000,000 reasons? Dude you are way over thinking a little pump and its application :lol: I must say, I'm very skeptical of that number. I don't think you even have 100 reasons :p

I'm still skeptical. 1,000,000 is a very round even number to arrive at...

iani said:
They mp40 can get hot, however I've never had any issues with the mp40 on acrylic. If you go with the mp40 I would get an extra wetside to make it easier when cleaning and to have a back up in case a wetside went down. I would also keep a MP20/MP40 Wet-Side Maintenance Kit on hand. The ceramic piece in the wetside will wear down after about a year to year and a half of use. This causes the prop to wobble a bit. I would assume that next on the list for ecotech would be an updated version of the mp40 but that is just a wild guess.

The ceramic piece wears down? Never thought of that. I do know for a fact that the impeller can wear down due to the ceramic though as I managed to catch one wobbly prop and noticed there was a groove in it that's the width of the disc. I've also had the to replace the piece between the magnet and the prop because the magnet actually pulled the prop straight through the center (probably impeller getting stuck and just wearing away)... also had one instance where the magnet wore away (at least that one was a replacement they took care of). Then that little O-ring sometimes breaks/wears away from opening/closing it too many times (which isn't that many). Parts store is very comprehensive at Ecotech, I think because they got tired of dealing with everyone complaining about a particular issue that needs fixing.

Thales said:
You shouldn't be skeptical - after all I am a expert or guru or something so everything I say is right.

I'm feeling less skeptical now. Guru? You'd better be in a robe next time I see you!!!

Good buy on the 40's. I have a 240 gallon which is 96x24x24 and I use 2 mp40's, one on each side and 2 koralia 8's on each bottom back side of the tank. this works very well for me and I have a mixed reef. A friend of mine has a 300 gallon and he has mp60s and he had to turn them down because they were blowing the tissue off of some of his corals including sps. he said its really strong so you shouldn't have anything close to them as they will probably damage something. I think you made the right decision.

Thank you fellow BAR members for all the help, you guys for sure set the BAR on this hobby and my tank would not be where its headed if it wasnt for all of your awesome tanks for me to drool over all these years! :)

Matt_Wandell said:
I would go with 2 40s. The 60 is almost too powerful for tanks smaller than 6' or so.

That would be an issue if you couldn't control the flow, but thankfully you can. The nice thing about the MP60 is you can get the same flow, just more dispersed and not have it at full power. The fact it has balanced magnets and the MP40 aren't helps keep it quieter. For me I want it quiet and visually appealing, thus 1 MP60.

GreshamH said:
Matt_Wandell said:
I would go with 2 40s. The 60 is almost too powerful for tanks smaller than 6' or so.

That would be an issue if you couldn't control the flow, but thankfully you can. The nice thing about the MP60 is you can get the same flow, just more dispersed and not have it at full power. The fact it has balanced magnets and the MP40 aren't helps keep it quieter. For me I want it quiet and visually appealing, thus 1 MP60.

Any pictures of your tank available?

You must have missed the million times where i have stated its not set-up :lol:

GreshamH said:
Matt_Wandell said:

Well I know how to work the controller, and on its minimum setting it was too much flow for a 200g tank. It was tearing Tubastrea polyps 6' away from the prop. To fully utilize the power of that pump I would want to use it on at least a 400 or 500g tank to really spread its wings. I will probably add it to our 3000g exhibit soon.

I'd rather have 2 pumps just for the flexibility of being able to change flow directions and run them both on or one on, etc. etc.

Aw, this was a really nice post. In thought I wish to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.
Hcg diet diarrhea offensiveness HCG Diet Azotize Ultimate hgh monasteries

Back