D2X_4874.jpg

D2X_4880.jpg

D2X_4881.jpg

D2X_4883.jpg

D2X_4892.jpg

D2X_4893.jpg

D2X_4895.jpg

D2X_4900.jpg

Damn Eric, surprised you got a picture from the right side, there's not much room to walk by there much less get in there to take a picture :D

eric, great looking pics and you were able to capture the corals without even using a tripod or shutting off the pumps.

Yeah, I went in with the wide lens for that one. There was just enough space for me to squeeze in there and snap a shot.

Beautiful stuff, beautiful tank. I don't think I've seen a more beautful "temporary" tank, let alone permanent display. Thanks for letting us invade your basement/garage too. :D

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

And using my basement wasn't a problem, really should have taken a before and after shot though, since it was a train wreck before, and the compliments I got from the girlfriend were great "I've never seen it this clean down here!!" :D. Also I cleaned the bathroom downstairs a TON, it's normal usage is to clean out skimmer cups :), so sorry if it still was a bit nasty, you could have asked to use the upstairs one too if you were grossed out too much :D

Mike let me know when you want to stop by my place...I would like a frag of these if you can spare any. The other stuff is great, but small than these. Pollicipora?

D2X_4900.jpg

I don't know if I can spare any Arnold, they're the size of softballs now and I'm shooting for bowling ball size :D

Seriously though, yeah I have three different colors of poccilipora damicornis (what those are), those two were the obvious ones, another was hidden (so hidden I forgot I had it :D), but you can get a frag of what you want, the bright green one especially needs fragging.

Yeah that aquascaping was a feat of luck, when I moved everything from the 100 to this tank I first put everything in to simply minimize exposure time, some of the taller acros were exposed though, LPS pretty much went to the back, I started with the other structure first (not the above picture) and everything seemed to go fine, a really tall arch (I went from a 18" tall tank to 24"!!) and as a few people mentioned one of the rocks on top tends to move when the vortech pulses but it's all good :D. Then this one which isn't as open of a structure, especially in the picture it's hard to tell, but it's got quite a few spaces to swim through, and after looking at it, I just kind of sat back and went "WHOA... how the hell did that all stack so nicely??".

So as much as I'd like to take credit, it was accidental that all the rockwork ended up being so nicely done. And when I do swap tanks, I know I won't be able to quite get this ever again... hell if I move one thing in it now I won't get it back to where it was :D

Not going to keep the tank, it's Doug's tank, not mine, it is only a temporary setup, plus there are some things I don't like about it (the top has a rather small hole which is why I only have halides on the front half). But hey Doug is getting a tank back (eventually) with some major scratches buffed out and an external overflow added :D

BTW stuff has really grown well in this tank, here's a shot right after I put it together in November (so 4 months of growth between this)
wtswbmt5.jpg

Since this is on another page, Eric's shot
D2X_4886_small.jpg

4 foot long, 3 foot wide, 2 foot tall, 180g

3 vortech pumps (one currently inactive), Quiet One 4000 return pump.

2- 250w 14k Phoenix bulbs run on "generic" electronic ballast, 2- 54w ATi blue plus bulbs, 2- 54w UVL super actinic bulbs, both run on workhorse 5 ballast.

Bubblemaster 250 Skimmer

2 peristaltic pumps dosing, 200grams/gallon Leslie's "Hardness Plus" (calcium), 300grams/gallon Arm & Hammer baking soda (alkalinity) (since a few people asked me about this, this is the recipe I used :D).

And yes this is a stony tank, however there are 3 softies in the tank, bottom left corner there are two frags on the bottom, the one on the right is some zoas I won at the raffle at Max's, put them in here until I get my other tank squared away, you can't see behind the green Leng Sy in the middle (bottom) is another zoa frag (Lunar Eclipse??) also won at same auction. And no way in hell you can see, but in the very back of the tank there is a single blue yuma that I pulled out of the other tank simply because I lost all my ricordia in it because the mushrooms stung/irritated them all to death, however it has not grown at all in this tank (too clean?). My other tank, which is ironically another temporary one, but WAY less nicer than this, is my softy tank which I really don't want to keep, but the woman seems to like it...*harumph*

***200grams/gallon Leslie's "Hardness Plus" (calcium), 300grams/gallon Arm & Hammer baking soda (alkalinity)***

You dose that much per day??

Hahah no, that's the mix up recipe I use, 200grams per 1 gallon of freshwater. How much any person uses will depend upon the tank. With mine it's about 2 cups of the mixed up solution per day.

Back