Cali Kid Corals

2009 SF tank tour - Steinhart Aquarium

Ibn

Last of the pics.

Mike trying to figure out his camera. :p
D2X_4973.jpg

One of the two larger protein skimmers. RK2 FTW.
D2X_4977.jpg

Whatcha mean I can't pull these?!? Someone has to keep their eyes on Arnold...
D2X_4978.jpg

Karl pondering how he's gonna sneak one of these past his wife for his next upgrade.
D2X_4979.jpg

D2X_4980.jpg

D2X_4982.jpg

Was behind so wasn't sure what these tubes were for...
D2X_4985.jpg

Steve and Jeff in the frame for size reference.
D2X_4986.jpg

Pair of the smaller skimmers.
D2X_4987.jpg

Another pic for size reference.
D2X_4988.jpg

Onto the next stop. Check out the overhead piping.
D2X_4990.jpg

D2X_4991.jpg

Cafeteria
D2X_4994.jpg

Hmm, choices, choices...
D2X_4995.jpg

Holding tanks
D2X_4996.jpg

Matt serenading the rest of the group.
D2X_4999.jpg

One of the residents.
D2X_5001.jpg

I've seen these in the Planet Earth series, but to see one in real life is something else. This thing is ginormous.
D2X_5002.jpg

D2X_5004.jpg

D2X_5005.jpg

Hmm, I think Arnold needs more flow in his tank.
D2X_5007.jpg

D2X_5008.jpg

If Ed had more calcium growing up, he'd be >6' tall by now.
D2X_5012.jpg

D2X_5013.jpg

Freshwater supply tanks
D2X_5015.jpg

Got salt?
D2X_5016.jpg

Dibs!
D2X_5017.jpg

D2X_5021.jpg

Last but not least, this one is for Norm. ;)
D2X_5022.jpg

Remember these were not official BAR sponsored tours...all anyone really needs to do is volunteer and organize one. :) I organized this one ( see the old thread), and opened it up for others. Anyone can really do the same.

There's other stuff at the Steinhart other than sealife. I saw some arapaimas and other freshwater fish in the holding tanks.

There's a handful of Amazonian fish that I know of which eats grapes (e.g. pacus eat grapes as well as figs).

Ibn said:
There's other stuff at the Steinhart other than sealife. I saw some arapaimas and other freshwater fish in the holding tanks.

There's a handful of Amazonian fish that I know of which eats grapes (e.g. pacus eat grapes as well as figs).

If you are in the rainforest at feeding time, get to a rail to watch the arapaima eat. Amazingly loud and frothy!

Not this week :D . We have been swamped- a couple co workers out long term sick and tons of stuff happening. Super tired. I hope it lets up soon.

Other than that, it's no problem to do a tour like last time with enough notice. :D

Yea, if you set up another one, can I come too? I have questions about the reef. According to what I read, saltwater is pump from ocean beach right? If that's true, why do you guys mix salt?

The saltwater comes in from the beach at about 27 ppt because it actually goes through the beach and is diluted by the freshwater lens. We add IO to bring it up. :D

Back