Cali Kid Corals

2009 SF tank tour - Steinhart Aquarium

I setup the last 2 tours, but anyone can do it. You just have to take the lead, if you just wait for someone else to do the work, then you might have to wait a while.

Thales said:
The saltwater comes in from the beach at about 27 ppt because it actually goes through the beach and is diluted by the freshwater lens. We add IO to bring it up. :D

I'm sorry, What is 27 ppt?
why dilute by the freshwater lens(what does that mean?)?

No wonder you guys have IOs.

27 ppt is 27 parts per trillion of salt concentration, compared to the 35(??) ppt that we want, sorry I don't know the exact number since I use specific gravity but it is analogous to that.

The freshwater lens is basically an underground pool of water that because freshwater is less dense than salt literally floats on top of the salt water, the proximity to this lens means the ocean water they pull in is a bit less salty. I believe the reason they pull near this is because it's much cleaner than anything you could suck directly out of the ocean near San Francisco.

That was a lot of fun!

Special thanks to Chris for hosting the BBQ. Too much food and good reefy friends are a great combination!

sfsuphysics said:
27 ppt is 27 parts per trillion of salt concentration, compared to the 35(??) ppt that we want, sorry I don't know the exact number since I use specific gravity but it is analogous to that.

The freshwater lens is basically an underground pool of water that because freshwater is less dense than salt literally floats on top of the salt water, the proximity to this lens means the ocean water they pull in is a bit less salty. I believe the reason they pull near this is because it's much cleaner than anything you could suck directly out of the ocean near San Francisco.

35ppt, you nailed it L)

;)

It is! The lesson is get more sleep. Unfortunately that means less reefing time and forum time, so I'll just have to keep making mistakes! ;)

Back