Our mission

2012 BAR Breeding and Propagation Workshop featuring Rich Ross and Tal Sweet

In case anyone unfamiliar with Chabot wants to better visualize how to get to this event, we've added a campus map with markers on the first post of this thread. :)

Thales said:
Super excited about this everyone! Please come prepared with questions and we'll if we can get a some peoples hands wet!

Pressure is on: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/11/breeding-propagation-workshop/#more-63685

Come one, come all. This is going to be a fun one!
We started setup Friday evening and look forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning. Event kicks off at 11 and Tal starts speaking at 11:15!

awww shit... I don't know why but I was under the impression it started at the same time as meetings... oh well, I'll have to either come smelling like a yeti with nothing in tow, or come late

... think I might be coming late :D

Great turnout. Solid attendance. Fantastic raffle. Entertaining and informative speakers. Thanks to all who helped put this together...can't wait for the next one. :)

Overall, I give it 5 stars out of 5.

I thought the venue was great, the presentations were great, the raffle was great, and even the hot dogs were great.

In terms of opportunity for improvement, while the the audio-visuals we very good, I wonder if there is a way to drive those projectors at a higher resolution for the video. It seemed a little grainy, but I was in the front, so maybe it looked better from the back of the room.

Other than me goofing up the time of the event it was pretty good. Seeing Rich in his mad scientist garb was the icing on the cake too! Plus I sat right next to the person who won the Radion, so I feel like in a special way ... I won too, that and when I grabbed it ran in the parking lot! (kidding of course)

Thanks guys for putting this together. Both talks were informative and valuable in their on ways. I'm looking forward to next month already. You guys make it too easy to give up my 2nd Saturday of the month.

- Julio

magnetar68 said:
Overall, I give it 5 stars out of 5.

In terms of opportunity for improvement, while the the audio-visuals we very good, I wonder if there is a way to drive those projectors at a higher resolution for the video. It seemed a little grainy, but I was in the front, so maybe it looked better from the back of the room.

Thank you for calling the visuals very good. I would not rate them that high!

With the equipment available there is little room for improvement. The projectors are the weak link. They just don't support the resolution needed to get a quality image. The same issues show up in the PowerPoint presentations. I'm sure on Tal's computer screen the photos had detail in the shadows that the projectors show as black blobs.

This was such a successful event and the speakers were both informational and entertaining. Tal seemed a bit nervous when he first started speaking but eased up as he continued speaking. Rich was very funny and made sure he answered all of our fragging questions. Having Jess from Diablo be there was a very nice touch to please our purchasing fix as well as giving away such amazing raffle prizes... who doesn't need a Vortech?

Anyway, I was able to take quite a few photos from yesterday's event. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://denzil.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=25915790&AlbumKey=6TdDHQ

Can't wait for next month's speaker.

This event would not have been possible without the support of the club members and individuals who generously provided their expertise and time. Special thanks go out to:

Tal & Rich - for the awesome talk and demonstration!

houser - for the vision behind this workshop and donating the corals for the propagation segment!
gimmito, patchin, Coral reefer, mray2660 - for the planning and setup going into the workshop!

For providing much-needed event support!
aqua-nut
Apon
bondolo
denzil
FeliciaLynn
goldielocke76
Piper
rtom
tankguy

All our sponsors, and to Diablo Corals for donating a percentage of sales at the event to the fight against Alzheimer's.

If we missed anyone I sincerely apologize - please PM me!

I had expected to miss this event due to travel but was able to attend and I am very happy that I did. It was a really well planned and useful event. Thank you to the organizers, speakers and workers. Very well done!

Back