Jestersix

2012 BAR SPS grow challenge - "2012 Grow Down"

houser

Past President
2012 BAR SPS grow challenge - "2012 Grow Down"

A 12 month test of your SPS growing skills. 15 frags will be available for the challenge courtesy of Jess at Diablo Corals. Should you wish to enter, please select a number between 0-100 and post it in this thread. If we have more interest than frags available, we'll go to a lottery system to assign them.

Frags will be available for distribution at the August 2012 BAR meeting featuring Dana Riddle. When you post your number, please post if you will be at the meeting or not. This will assist in the logistics of distribution.

Coral
15 frags of "Dom's deepwater." The mother coral has been in captivity for yrs, making it a great candidate. Frags are ready, and waiting!

Domsdeepwater.jpg

Prizes!

Besides bragging rights...
2 x $20 credit for corals/fish at Diablo Corals at the 4 and 8 month checkins.
$35 credit to the winner at 12 months.

Rules

Must be a current 2012 BAR member.
Frags must be received within 1 wk of the August 2012 meeting.
Growth reports and photo evidence due December 2012/April 2013/August 2013.
If it's not obvious, Jess at Diablo will be the tiebreaker.

Can you tell me more about the contest coral? By the name "Deepwater" would I be correct in assuming that it doesn't require the highest light levels and may favour more bluish hue light? I've tried to stay way from high light corals (both because I don't have high intensity lights but also because I'm not generally interested in those corals) but think I could kick butt at lower light level corals. :)

This sounds cool! #28. I'll be at the meeting but I'd like to pick it up directly from Jess if I'm selected and that's possible.

~Charlie

HA! Considering my tank is down to a single acropora frag (plenty of montis and other LPS though) I think I have the upper hand! :D

In the spirit of Bill and Ted

Sixty nine dude!

bondolo said:
Can you tell me more about the contest coral? By the name "Deepwater" would I be correct in assuming that it doesn't require the highest light levels and may favour more bluish hue light? I've tried to stay way from high light corals (both because I don't have high intensity lights but also because I'm not generally interested in those corals) but think I could kick butt at lower light level corals. :)

Quite frankly I would treat this just as all your other SPS. The "deepwaters" aren't coming from down "deep" :D

Deepwater in our reef tank sense gets tagged onto smooth-skin acros with space between corallites.

I want in! I'll take number 44. I won't be at the August meeting since I'll be out of town for work then, but hopefully I can pick it up shortly afterwards.

I love challenges! However, not sure if I'll completely know what I'm doing by the time of the meet to raise this coral right. However, Brandie and I will be there!

Back