got ethical husbandry?

2014/2015 Tank Tours

It seemed pretty unanimous that people were interested in doing tank tours in September, October or November and it looks like it's been about 9 months since the last tank tour, so we are probably overdue for a new one. We need to see who wants to show off their tanks, so if you want to volunteer, please post in this thread. Once we figure out who wants to show their tanks, then we can select a geographic area (east bay, south bay, peninsula, etc) and order for the tour.

Schedule in the past has been starting around 11am and doing a potluck along the way. I think we can probably do 4 tanks and end at one of the LFS's. Anyone willing to carpool or needing a ride can post in the comments and we can try to get it all sorted out. In the past this has been limited to 20 members/guests with priority going to those willing to show their tanks.

This is NOT an official BAR event, so please contact me with any questions/comments.

Possible Tanks to visit:

East Bay:
F6553066 (Oakland)
Boun11 (Berkeley)
Kensington Reefer (Berkeley) Temporarily unavailable
FeliciaLynn (after late October)

Peninsula:
Enderturtle (San Mateo)

South Bay:
molabecirovic

San Francisco:
Wfong
bluprntguy
Coral Reefer

Who else wants to show off their tanks?

Last edited:
I will, but I'm in Oakland. Is this for the peninsula or east bay?

It's for all over the bay. Once we figure out who wants to show their tanks, then we can select a geographic area and order for the tour.

If too many tanks get volunteered, then we may just have to do another tank tour in a few months. Eventually we should be able to get to everyone...

It's for all over the bay. Once we figure out who wants to show their tanks, then we can select a geographic area and order for the tour.

If too many tanks get volunteered, then we may just have to do another tank tour in a few months. Eventually we should be able to get to everyone...

That was the concept last year. It's hard to see four tanks and if there is much driving between it's just about impossible. Gotta make sure there is time at the end for a LFS visit!

Might be easier to do a dedicated east bay tour then end up at AC/Diablo or a south bay tour and end up at Neptune's. Unfortunately, the peninsula has lost Top Notch and AE and SF doesn't have any LFS.

I will be in Brazil until 9-10-14, but put me down for showing my tanks. I have 3 and am always open to ideas on how to improve things. As stated above I'm in Oakland.

Dick Flanagan

Just an FYI - I plan to do a SF tour again maybe in Nov. But I hope there is one before then, good luck!

I think there are enough tanks in the Oakland and Berkeleynish area! I might be able to show depends on the date and time.

Last edited:
Tank tours are always fun.I did show my tank last year on the South Bay tour and I am willing to volunteer again but I do agree with the previous comments that the tours should be separated in areas, otherwise there may be to much time lost on the road.
I do need to get rid of quite a bit of corals from my tank as everything has overgrown so if I end up showing people can take frags with them if they like plus I can use some advice on how to clean up my tank from overpopulation.
I do live in San Jose.

Tank tours are always fun.I did show my tank last year on the South Bay tour and I am willing to volunteer again but I do agree with the previous comments that the tours should be separated in areas, otherwise there may be to much time lost on the road.
I do need to get rid of quite a bit of corals from my tank as everything has overgrown so if I end up showing people can take frags with them if they like plus I can use some advice on how to clean up my tank from overpopulation.
I do live in San Jose.

Bigger tank. ;)

Philip, you really need to select a narrowed down area for the tour. Otherwise its a long drive between each place and with traffic it can turn into a very long day. Traditionally, we've always had them in an area of the bay, ie East Bay, South Bay, San Francisco, the Peninsula, etc. Also, they always end at one of the sponsoring stores, so keep that in mind since we don't have sponsoring stores in SF or the peninsula anymore. It sounds like there are some people in the South Bay willing to show and quite a few people up in the Berkeley/Oakland area. Maybe consider doing East bay and ending at Diablo Corals or South Bay ending at Neptunes. Once you chose the area, then you can set-up with the people who want to show in that area.

Yup Arnold, been selling melons for a few weeks now, although melons are starting to wind down. Come Saturday to the Serramonte parking lot if you want some :D

Philip, you really need to select a narrowed down area for the tour. Otherwise its a long drive between each place and with traffic it can turn into a very long day. Traditionally, we've always had them in an area of the bay, ie East Bay, South Bay, San Francisco, the Peninsula, etc. Also, they always end at one of the sponsoring stores, so keep that in mind since we don't have sponsoring stores in SF or the peninsula anymore. It sounds like there are some people in the South Bay willing to show and quite a few people up in the Berkeley/Oakland area. Maybe consider doing East bay and ending at Diablo Corals or South Bay ending at Neptunes. Once you chose the area, then you can set-up with the people who want to show in that area.

Yeah, the intent was to figure out who wanted to show their tanks and then pick a general area that made the most sense for the September tour. We can maybe use this list for other areas in the future if there are people that volunteer that we can't get to on this trip because of logistics. It's looking like Oakland/Berkeley is pulling ahead, so we'll probably do that in September. I updated the first post with volunteers so far.

We could still use a few more tanks though to make sure that we have enough.

It seemed pretty unanimous that people were interested in doing tank tours in September and it looks like it's been about 9 months since the last tank tour, so we are probably overdue for a new one. We need to see who wants to show off their tanks, so if you want to volunteer, please post in this thread. Once we figure out who wants to show their tanks, then we can select a geographic area (east bay, south bay, peninsula, etc) and order for the tour.

I'm thinking Sunday, September 21 as possible date.

Schedule in the past has been starting around 11am and doing a potluck along the way. I think we can probably do 4 tanks and end at one of the LFS's. Anyone willing to carpool or needing a ride can post in the comments and we can try to get it all sorted out. In the past this has been limited to 20 members/guests with priority going to those willing to show their tanks.

This is NOT an official BAR event, so please contact me with any questions/comments.

Possible Tanks to visit:

East Bay:
F6553066 (Oakland)
Boun11 (Oakland)
Kensington Reefer (Berkeley)

Peninsula:
Enderturtle (San Mateo)

South Bay:
molabecirovic

Who else wants to show off their tanks?
Wfong (fishfong) I can show off my three reef with Apon. I live in San Francisco.

I'm hoping that there will be a big turnout from BAR for the Neptune's Aquatics grand opening on September 13, so I'm going to suggest that we postpone the tank tours for a few weeks at least. It looks like the most tanks that are available are in Berkeley/Oakland, so that's the tour that I'll plan. I'm still looking for one more tank in the Berkeley/Oakland Area to add to the tour, so if there are any members that are in that area and willing to show their tanks, then reply here or shoot me a PM so that I can add you to the list.

I've updated the first post with the current list of members in all areas that have volunteered to host tank tours so that other members can use this information in the future to make it easier to plan tank tours in other areas. If you want to volunteer to host in the future, you can respond here as well.

I am actually in Berkeley not Oakland. What day are you thinking of the tank tour? I am in transition of switching/downgrading my tank.

Back