2016 BAR BOD

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

It's a few months away still, but we will need some new blood to join the BOD. This year has been way Better than the recent past as far as people stepping in and performing their roles on the board admirably, but no one lasts forever in these positions. It's best to get new people on the boards slowly while there are plenty if us old guys there to teach you the ropes, as opposed to nobody stepping in, and the old guard growing weary of the responsibilities and quitting all at once with nobody new having been trained to take their places. My first time on the board was like that, we were all new, and now a few years later there has been lots of improvement as far as splitting up the workload to more people and organizing the roles if each board member. Please post any questions here, or feel free to pm me.
    Not sure who all will be staying on the board, but it's safe to assume that we could use at least one or two new members. If you have a role you are interested in, great! If not, we can definitely find something for you. This is all about giving back to a club that we all love and want to see continue on, even if you don't think you have the skills needed, please consider learning more, the main requirement is a little time and a desire to help out.
    Who wants to be the next endur turtle (awesome volunteer) that will step in and take the reigns and grow this club into something even better?
    In the past we have had "elections" near the end if the year, but recently that has been unnecessary as anyone who has volunteered has had no competition...I would love to see enough people throw their hats into the ring that we could actually elect who we as a club believe will best serve us, as opposed to being stuck with whoever we can coerce into service. Remember, this is our club, and it will only be as awesome as we care to make it!

Geneva, Nav and Ahruk like this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Only two days...but uggghhhhhh. No responses? Did I make the post too long? You don't have to commit to anything if you post your interest in this thread. BOD works best if the people on it are close knit. If you have a good friend in the club, maybe you should both volunteer together?

3. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Ill make another thread like this after the swap.

I think we still need to lay out and improve BOD benefits.

And do a better job describing what each position does.

Alot of people think being on BOD is hard. Its not. Its pretty easy. IT IS SOOOO easy.

But yeah lets let this thread sink and we'll set up another more detailed one after the swap.

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I guess that's ok...sorta...but elections are supposed to be...right after the swap. I was hoping to get the dialogue going and get people thinking about wether they care enough about the club to have the time to spare. I'm hoping one or more new people will! Starting to have some doubts...

5. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

How often does the board meet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Depends on how many events we set up.

Right after the event, (remember the culturting copepods talk?) we have a meeting.

On average i want to say the BOD meets once every 2 months.

Providing input via the secret BOD forum is pretty important.

7. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Benefits? Wasn't any when I was on the BOD - good to add some.

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Currently you get to shape the club, oh yeah, and free dues for the year.
    What would be a sweet enough deal to make people volunteer? Let's hear it!

9. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

One free tank service from @Coral reefer for each BOD member.

Will be helpful for when I go out of town :D

Nav likes this.
  10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Is this a joke, or serious and you think I should donate it, or the club should pay for it?

And by the way, I'd be happy to stop in while you are gone...

11. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

:) Kidding mike!

Dont want to make the benefits TOO good. The person has to want to help, not just do it for the benefits.

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

True...or is it? However we can get people to want to do a good job is what we should offer IMO. I have def thought ofoffering this before

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  13. denzil

denzil Webmaster

I'm definitely interested to hear from other club members to see if they're interested in helping shape the future of our club. There's definitely plenty of opportunity to pitch in and all efforts are appreciated, large or small.

14. Merith

Merith Guest

I know this isnt really what you're looking for here but I would like to propose the idea of @Enderturtle continuing his role another year if he is willing.

I haven't been all that active in any of the clubs this past year but that doesn't mean I haven't been lurking. What Ender has done for both the direction and quality of this club has been nothing short of amazing. I've had the pleasure of speaking with him regarding this and hearing some of his ideas and views I for one would love to see what he could do given another year.

tankguy, Geneva and Coral reefer like this.
  15. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I'm hoping he doesn't burn himself out! He's been awesome, and stepped forward when we needed help on the BOD. I was hoping to find more like minded individuals with this post. I for one have a three month old baby and would like to take a step back. Hoping to have plenty of new blood to fill in

Geneva and Merith like this.
  16. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

Congrats! I know how hard that can be. We moved from Boston out here right after my daughter was born a year ago. One of the hardest things we've done.

I'm interested in helping the club out, but I don't know that I can give a year-long commitment if we relocate back to Boston.

17. Merith

Merith Guest

I would love to lend a hand but sadly with the nerve disorder I can't really commit to anything. More than willing to help out with graphics or other computer stuff if needed as long as the deadline is far enough off to accommodate for any flare ups and what not.

18. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I will be back on the BOD next year to help rebuild this club to its glory days.

It's going to take time to build this club to the point where we can make people fall in love with it and see all the benefits of having a successful fun reef club.

I'm very hopeful though. Out of 40 new members, we'll get maybe 1 or 3 people who actually care enough to join and help out with the club. The other people kinda just lurk and reap the benefits of the club which is fine i guess.

So my goal is to grow this club while providing fun/interesting events that allow people to meet and connect with each other and learn/enjoy this hobby. When you grow the club, you'll get more members and you'll get more people who are willing to help be on BOD.

tankguy, Ahruk and Merith like this.
  19. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I just want to say, that as much as I love the club, my life is way too messed up at the moment for me to jump onto the board. I won't go into specifics, but life is pretty screwy at the moment.

At the very least, I can field some website related issues. Further DBTC work is on indefinite hold.

denzil, Geneva, Nav and 1 other person like this.
  20. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

You web guys don't get overt credit for bein on the BOD, but you really are a huge part. Thanks for all your work so far!

denzil and Geneva like this.