2019 CFM Feb sales results - raffles

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Apon, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Apon

Apon Supporting Member

Ok to be open to everyone on what we did /what was recorded. Logs were recorded by different folks manning the tables. I am not sure if these are final or not........

• T -shirt sales 5 x$15 ( but no sizes listed? We have starting count I know when can figure it out if needed) LI heard that they might have sold shirts with Raffle tickets? I am not sure because I was not there all day.
    • Glue sale 1 x (???) I think the sign was $8.
    • Raffle sales for all of the event for BAR/RV/CFM. first ticket 5267099, Last ticket 5267846 - Total of 747 sold/used?
    • CRV for 2 sets of clown and 3 frag packs raffles - we counted out 116 tickets ( Maureen was my witness ) $116 paid to CRV
    • CFM - diferrent items, but main ones for them was two m80 kessils lights. There was some mixed up of tickets during the count but we agreed - $177 to CFM paid to Steve.
    • I have no idea how many Apex tickets were sold at what price- $3 each or 4 for $10? But we total had 232 tickets there.
    • The Kessil 160 took in 175 tickets.
    • Unfortunately the label was removed on Kimmie clowns box - so I don have exact count on that, but everyone loved the pair! Did anyone get a picture?

I did not do the counting - Thanks to Will, Maureen, Mario and Juan for helping count after the raffle.

As for Cash on hand. From Notes....

We started at $270, Mark (Our Treasurer) told me he took <-$400 >out when his shift ended. After all my payouts. We ended up with $933 that I have in the box.

$400
    $933
    Less $270 (starting cash)
    Unless my math is off our profit is. $1063

Let me know if you have any questions.

2. So all-in-all a successful fundraising event. Let's use this thread to see if we can make some suggestions to fine tune things for next time. Steve Tyree (showrunner) is depending more and more on BAR to do this show. We were able to leverage some of that to a better (and larger) table set-up this time around, but opportunities to expand or do better still exist. So for those in that worked or in attendance tell us what worked, what didn't and help spitball some new ideas.

grizfyrfyter and cdhappy like this.
  3. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Supporting Member

The raffle was a lot of fun and during my turn it was selling tickets non stop.

Regarding a picture of Kimmy's clown, I have some pictures of them because they are indeed in my tank. :-D
    They are already taking over the RBTA and there seems to be no aggression with their "standard cousins".

IMG_3422.jpg
    IMG_3428.jpg
    IMG_3426.jpg

glee, Baykes and grizfyrfyter like this.
  4. rygh

rygh BOD

Yes, a nice success!

We gave away 2 raffle tickets ($1 ones) with each T-shirt sale.

Only suggestion is to have two raffle times, and split the items.
    The regular tickets did not sell early on, because few people would be there at 3:30.
    So a second raffle at 12:30 might make sense.

Very busy in the main area, so well attended.
    Kudos to whomever decided to put our table outside at the entrance.

Regarding checking math:
    Yes, 400+933-270 = $1063
    But also: 747 * $1 + 232*(avg) $2.75 = $1385
    $1385 - $116 - $177 = $1092, which is close, and only off because we do not know mix of Apex ticket price.

grizfyrfyter likes this.
  5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I think it definitely is warranted to have a premium table spot if Tyree wants us to handle more and more of the show. Not sure I would use that as an invitation to try and get more out of the situation though, reasonable concessions for what effectively amounts to "free labor" sure but I would think long and hard about any "wishlist" before presenting it.

If anything this kind of shows what it's like to run an event as the "local club" similar to the way MACNA is done, except on a MUCH smaller scale. So need to ask yourself, did we get enough help for the event? did we have to pull teeth for the event? did we have to bribe people for the event? and then for all those questions ask what could have made it better?

But that said, having the club as a "labor resource" is not a horrible idea, especially if he deals with all the financials and booking to make it happen. I'm curious though how big is this event? Is this primarily a local only thing? Do many people from outside the bay area come?

6. Klems

Klems Supporting Member

Is that the RBTA you got from me or someone else? Looking good either way...

7. rygh

rygh BOD

I am not sure I would consider an outside table to be a "premium" spot at all.
    If not for the raffle, most people would just walk right by.
    So in a way I think it helps them by freeing up internal space for more vendors.

8. juanfdezdc

juanfdezdc Supporting Member

Yes, the one I got from you. Looks really good.

Only other anemone I have in the tank is a Black Widow. The clowns host both but they prefer the RBTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. This event is not just local. The CFM as a whole has shows in a number of places around the country under their banner. The paid admissions to this event was 400+ with another 100-150 that received free entry. I doubt there is a hard count of where people traveled from, but I probably saw at least a hundred from Sacramento and beyond that I know.

I don't think we should handle any more of the show, but I do believe that we can grow our presence a bit in ways beyond manpower. He is dependent on us for set-up and takedown so I think, for instance, that the advertising that goes out for this event should include our logo and a reference or thanks. I also think we should get a larger allotment of badges for everyone that helps. This time we paid for some of our folks who volunteered from a set of tickets that Arnold was smart enough to buy (he was right, I was wrong.) Next time we should get full badges for 8-12 people probably including all who work our table.

To mark: That outside table is premium for two reasons. One, we're not stuck in a back dark corner with only a few feet of space as we have been in the past. We can set up as big a set-up as we want. Second, since all raffle boxes are controlled by us we get the chance at a face-to-face with everyone entering and then again as they peruse the raffle stuff. Our banner is front and center as are our people.

10. sfsuphysics

Bruce, ahhh I see. Just looked at the CFM webpage and saw the list of markets and sure enough we were the first back in 2006 (along with Ontario, CA... that's California not Canada). Good to see these branching out.

That said, helping set up & take down is a good place to be right now, be interesting to see where Tyree thinks it should go. Hopefully he's not hoping to "pass the reigns" onto us though, I very much don't think our club can handle that, IMO. But yeah, 100-150 free entry and the local club that is setting up the place didn't get some passes? Maybe work on that a bit more next time.

As to raffle ideas, hourly raffles at events are a thing, now obvious if there aren't many prizes that isn't a viable possibility and you do need to weigh the rewards vs risk of making people wait vs having them early.

11. Oh! Hourly raffles. That's genius! We'll set up the PA and do one special item every hour perhaps?

12. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

One of the other ways the club can help CFM is to disallow advertisement on BAR forum of non-sanctioned coral sales at the event. I think we should discourage parking lot sales because they detract from the CFM vendors business. Parking lot hobbyist sellers are not paying for a booth, taxes, or web sites and marketing. They remind me of those lazy Girl Scouts who sell cookies right outside Safeway.

13. sfsuphysics

Yeah basically, you exclude people who show up later in the day, but you include people who maybe are there for no more than an hour. Then have your "big prizes" at the end of the day like the Apex but usually those high end prizes you don't need to be present to win... but then that pisses off everyone who is there.

14. Why aren't you a member anymore?

15. rygh

rygh BOD

I like the hourly raffle idea.
    The downside to hourly raffles is the disruption of the event. Especially if we are outside.
    Having everyone with raffle tickets shuffle in and out through the entrance would be a big mess.

But we could announce it inside, and maybe write winning number on a large whiteboard.

16. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

I didn't volunteer because I was expecting to be in and out. I only came to drop off guards for the raffle and for a member who bought some stuff. Ended up bringing most of my frag tank down and trading frags with the bay area shops and some of the vendors in the show and then hung out for the raffle.

I don't commit to things like this because I'm the primary caregiver for my daughter (we were in Oakland today for another neurologist appointment) and I have to bail on a lot of things when she has a bad day.

I'm an out of towner but I'd like to get more involved with events and I was impressed with the CFM.

17. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

I got one person to meet me at CFM who was not a BAR member and had never even heard of the event before...I did this by selling equipment to him.

I was able to encourage him to buy a ticket and check out the event and and BAR table. Maybe one day he will join the club.

I also think selling corals between club members is fine. Everyone I bought or sold corals too was buying corals from vendors as well.

glee likes this.
  18. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

I don't see anything wrong with having people meet you at the CFM to pick up things they agreed to purchase beforehand on the forum. It's not like guys are in the parking lot with a frag tank in the back of their truck trying to take business away from vendors.

Rostato likes this.
  19. Chromis

Just didn’t notice my membership expired - checking Paypal my last membership payment was Feb 6 2018 so it must have just expired this week. On Tapatalk I always see a visitor badge so I never know when my membership expired. Don’t worry I’ll re-up before the members’ swap :)

20. Chromis

Appreciate your raffle donation, good stuff! Hope your daughter’s OK?