2019 Member Frag Swap - March 16

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Wlachnit, Feb 9, 2019.

By Wlachnit on Feb 9, 2019 at 8:28 PM
  1. Wlachnit

Wlachnit BOD

It's that time of year again...time to share cool frags with cool people! And...we are going to mix it up a bit this year and move to a new location in SF!

Seven Stills 100 Hooper St
    San Francisco, CA 94124

Saturday, March 16
    Admission: FREE
    Schedule

• 11:00am - 12:00pm Register for the Frag Swap (Get your picking Letter)
    • 12:00 Auction and frag preview
    • 12:30pm Start Frag Swap
    • We will be having a raffle for various goodies including an Apex controller midway through the swap.
    • Street Meet Taco Truck Menu
    Requirements
    • Bring at least 3 different coral frags in their own clear plastic containers with lids.
    • Must be labeled with your username AND coral name AND lights used. A description of the coral would also be useful. You cannot swap if it doesn’t have this information.
    • We will be checking for unlabeled, mislabeled, sick, or dead coral.
    • Corals that cannot be used in frag swapping can be found HERE
    New for this year. If you are a member that would like to participate and find yourself with no corals to share, we have decided to let those members participate in the frag swap after the 3rd round. So, no need to buy frags from your LFS or get them from a fellow member. Given that this is a member swap, we expect plenty of frags to go around.
    Bonus Rounds
    • Bonus/Ultra coral qualification list is being updated
      • Bonus/Ultra zoanthid list is HERE
      • Bonus/Ultra SPS list is HERE
      • Bonus/Ultra LPS and Soft Cora list is HERE.
    • The bonus rounds are optional and consist of the first picking round of the swap.
    • Once you're done with the bonus round, you continue the regular swap.
    • If you want to do the bonus rounds, you need to bring at least 3 bonus corals or 1 ultra coral from the bonus round list to receive 1 Bonus Round Ticket.
    • You can receive as many Bonus Round Tickets as you want. (Example: Bringing 9 bonus round frags gives you 3 bonus round tickets)is in the process of being updated. Please check back
      • Bonus Corals strains can be repeated only ONCE.
        • Example: 1) Oompa Loompa Zoa, 2) Oompa Loompa Zoa, 3) Oregon Tort = OKAY
      • Ultra Corals strains can be repeated only ONCE.
      • 3 Bonus Corals = 1 Bonus Round Ticket or 1 Ultra Coral = 1 Bonus Round Ticket
    Auction Items can be found HERE

Please let us know if you will attend.
    We will need a few volunteers for several tasks. Sign up HERE
    There is more info to follow....stay tuned.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
Tags: this article has not been tagged
?

Are you attending

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. No

2 vote(s)
    4.3%

Comments

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by Wlachnit, Feb 9, 2019.

1. enaldy
      enaldy
      Sorry.. didn't have time or patience to go through all 80+ comments!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2. grizfyrfyter
      grizfyrfyter
      I wasn't insulting you.

Others have mentioned it a few times so I assume others are bringing some free corals and there will be a table.
    3. enaldy
      enaldy
      Neither did I, and I didn't took offense [emoji16][emoji16]
      Sorry I was too direct.

That's the problem with messages, it's hard to get the tone of it.

No problem here [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      grizfyrfyter likes this.
    4. grizfyrfyter
      grizfyrfyter
      [emoji106]
    5. JVU
      JVU
      Definitely yes :)
      enaldy likes this.
    6. treylane
      treylane
      I have some (nice looking) rock anemones on plugs... appropriate for swap or no?
    7. Wlachnit
      Wlachnit
      Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8. Wlachnit
      Wlachnit
      Acro Bonus/Ultra list just posted and can be found HERE
      JVU likes this.
    9. jccaclimber
      jccaclimber
      I was planning to show up at the frag swap as a spectator, but then I realized that I might actually be able to participate too. I have a few hesitances, so I figured best to ask here:

1) The pieces in question are doing great (see picture below, colors are accurate, I just took the picture), and I won't bring them if the don't continue to do great, but I did just bring them from my tank in Dallas to my new tank here (fresh cuts, dipped, transported).
      2) The JF Fox Flame (center, on the Ultra list) is only 3/4". It's a full and honest 3/4", but not 1".
      3) On the plus side, the PC rainbow (on the bonus list, second from right is almost 2" (does this compensate for the FF?).
      4) For a bonus ticket do all 3 frags need to be on the same type (SPS, LPS, Zoa), or can I say bring 2 frags of hornets (in the background out of focus) and the PC rainbow for my three?
      5) If I understand correctly: One ultra, 3 bonus, and 3 regulars gets me 2 bonus round tickets, then I need 3 other frags of some sort (but not on the banned list) for admission to the regular swap rounds?

IMG_0158.jpg
    10. jccaclimber
      jccaclimber
      One more question, any suggestions on where to get a few cheap plastic containers? My supply of surplus take-out containers is still in Texas.
    11. Baykes
      Baykes
      I can answer a couple of the questions:

4) The frags do not need to be the same type. 2 hornets and 1 PC rainbow is fine, provided of course that each frag meets the minimum polyp/size requirement.

5) Correct, 1 ultra and 3 bonus and 3 regulars will get you 2 bonus tickets and an entrance. As for if you can bring 3 bonus frags alone to get one ticket and count as your entrance frags, I’m not really sure.

Smart and Final is where I get my containers.
    12. JVU
      JVU
      @jcaclimber, to answer your questions-

You should definitely participate if you can, even if you don’t have bonus corals (only regular corals) to contribute.

If the corals are healthy to best of your knowledge they can be used. Good intentions are the key.

In general the size limitations are required for counting as bonus or ultra, but they are for your reference as a lot of this is done by the honor system. Of course everyone writes their name on everything so there is some level of accountability.

Having another coral larger than the minimum doesn’t make up for the smaller one for bonus/ultra purposes, since I probably won’t get both :)

For bonus tickets, they don’t all need to be on the same list, you can mix/match. Also, max of 2 of the exact same coral per 3-coral grouping.

You need to bring 3 or more non-banned corals to participate in the regular swap, which can be any combination of ultra, bonus, or regular corals. In addition, for each 1 ultra or 3 bonus corals you get a bonus round ticket. So if you are already bringing 3 or more bonus/ultra corals you don’t have to also bring regular corals. Of course, the more the merrier!

I’ve tried different sources for the deli containers (local and online) and agree that Smart and Final is best. The 16oz containers are probably the best all around with plenty of water for buffering, they also have smaller and larger ones available for different size frags.

These are the ones I got at S&F:
      [​IMG]
      Rostato likes this.
    13. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      The entry into the bonus round automatically qualifies you into the regular rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      grizfyrfyter likes this.
    14. Coral reefer
      Coral reefer
      I e got some extra containers.
    15. sfsuphysics
      sfsuphysics
      As long as the general requirement of
      Is also met though right? otherwise you could swap with just 1 ultra frag
    16. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      Well to get into the bonus round with bonus corals, you will need 3 corals in their own clear containers.

I'll leave it to the BOD to decide if 1 Ultra qualifies.
    17. sfsuphysics
      sfsuphysics
      Well the thing is the requirements for the swap are "3 different corals", while for a bonus ticket you can give give 3 of the same coral, so there's some discrepancy there as well. The mention of the ultra was just the most extreme example. Personally I think the swap is it's own beast, so the requirements for that must be adhered to first and foremost, everything else is just that... bonus.

But I agree, the BOD needs to perhaps clarify this point since there is a bit of confusion between two members who have been to a few swaps in the past :)
    18. glee
      glee
      These are two separate issues.

1. Requirements to join the swap
      Bring at least 3 different coral frags in their own clear plastic containers with lids.

2. Bonus round
      One Ultra coral provides you with one bonus ticket.
    19. Vhuang168
      Vhuang168
      You cannot have 3 of the same coral to qualify for a bonus ticket.

Bonus Corals strains can be repeated only ONCE.
      • Example: 1) Oompa Loompa Zoa, 2) Oompa Loompa Zoa, 3) Gold Hammer = OKAY

I thought the same requirement were for the regular swap but it does not look that way. Been a while since I looked at that requirement.
    20. grizfyrfyter
      grizfyrfyter
      I think this sums it up. You need at least 3 corals to participate from the beginning. 3 standard corals (that aren't on the ban list) get you in, 3 bonus corals gets you in and a bonus ticket. 3 ultra corals would get you in and 3 bonus tickets.

No corals and you can start picking on the third regular round (I think).