Neptune Aquatics

24 to 40gal upgrade advice

Hi All,

So the ballast on my 24's lighting blew, I was originally going to set up an additional 40gal, but now I'm thinking of shutting down the 24 and transferring all efforts to the 40.

What is a smart protocol in upgrading?

This is what I'm thinking, please give me feedback/suggestions

1) Cycle my the with 50% of the rock and sand (the transfer from the 24 will be the other 50%)
2) Then simply transfer the rock, sand, and livestock over?

What should I do to transferring the sand? It is a about 2" deep, should I stir it up and siphon off the debris water or should I just transfer it all over and try to keep it as undisturbed as possible?

Thanks,

Josh

the sand is two, going on three years old. I was going to first cycle with base rock (50% of my total) and use my establish down the road (the other 50%).

should I go with all new sand? Right now it is a medium crush coral aggregate.

I've read some people have success just using sand from HD.

I'd be a little worried about moving all the sand. I know older DSB's can cause problems by releasing toxins but 2 inch's isn't that deep so hopefully some of the old timers speak up with experiences.

Not an old timer, but experienced. I'd buy new sand it will be easier and you can choose a new amount to put in like 3 or 4 inches. (If you have a jaw fish then you need about 6 inches)

old sand is bad news. Disturbing it can cause large out gassing and release of bound nutrients.

IIWY, I would start the new tank with the "extra rock" and new sand. Once it is cycled, you can add over your old rock etc.

When I did a transfer from a 20 gal to a 120 gal what I did is the foloowing.

Moved about 1/2 my LR from the 20 into a bucket with a heater and a PH.
I got some new sand and put it in the 120.(dry sand rinsed until it wasn't clouding up the water any longer)
After treating some of the LR in the bucket for aptasia I put that in the 120 and filled it up about 1/2 way with water from a WC in the 20 and new saltwater. I had a heater and a PH in the 120
I bought some LR from a fellow reefer, and added it to the 120 and added more water.
After about 3 weeks, I added the rest of the LR from 20, and corals and fish.
The sand from my 20 I rinsed out really well and added to the fuge.

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=4316.msg52328#msg52328 date=1218730112]
Imus, what did you use to treat the aptasia and did it work?
[/quote]

Well thats kinda a loaded question..rofl

It worked to treat the ones I could see, but if you have read some of my other threads You would see I never RID myself of them.

I just use Aptasia Control (name of product), I need to do another spot check in the next day or so but it seems to work very well. Since I have them hiding out in all sorts of areas in my tank I just let them get big enough to treat , turn off the pumps, put the aptasia control on them, let it sit for say 10 min then I suck up the white stuff with the dead aptasia iwith a turkey baster.

I like this stuff cuz I have spilled it on zoas before and they closed up but open up again after the pumps went on and didn't die.

I bought my dry sand from Albany Aquairum not HD, it was a little more expensive but I like to support when I can, plus Jim works there and I have to come up with reasons to pick his brain about my set-up

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4316.msg52359#msg52359 date=1218735585]
I bought my dry sand from Albany Aquairum not HD, it was a little more expensive but I like to support when I can, plus Jim works there and I have to come up with reasons to pick his brain about my set-up
[/quote]

haha, yeah Jim won't let you off easy! I love Albany Aquarium, try to get in every Sunday, didn't know they had dry sand, last time I check for LR they only had a few large pieces sitting on the ground.

Thanks,

Josh

Back