got ethical husbandry?

250 watt Radium with VHO?

guihan

Supporting Member
Does anyone run VHO super actinics with Radiums? I have 2x110 watt VHOs (Icecap 430) that I was using with 2x250 watt XM 10K (Icecap ballast), but just switched to Radiums. Should I run the VHOs from dusk and dawn only or keep them on with Radiums as well? Thanks.

If you like the blue color, I don't see any reason why not.. For me Radium bulb is good enough. Save electricity too :) ..

That has been an industry standard for a long time if you are looking for color, it's a pretty old school setup considering how quickly things move in our hobby, but it really does have a nice look IMO.

If you want to save power you can have the Actincs turn on and off at dusk/dawn, and still give yourself an hour or two of "pretty time" when you know you're around be it evening or morning.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the Radiums definitely have enough blue by themselves.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6988.msg90934#msg90934 date=1237652074]
That has been an industry standard for a long time if you are looking for color, it's a pretty old school setup considering how quickly things move in our hobby, but it really does have a nice look IMO.
[/quote]

I guess I'm to slow. ;D What's your lighting setup? Thanks.

XM 20k with URI VHO actinic and an ATI blue plus. I'll be switching to a 20k Reeflux soon though, they seem to have a little more crispness and are brighter than the XM.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=6988.msg90974#msg90974 date=1237662884]
I heard the 20K reeflux is really suck though. very low par...
[/quote]

I don't know, has it been tested yet? I'm not really too concerned with PAR with the reading I've been doing lately I really don't need a super bright tank, I want it to look good and get deep colors from my corals. I have seen them side by side with different bulbs and they seemed brighter than other 20k bulbs. I also think they vary greatly depending on the ballast. At Chris's he's got two side by side and the one on the IceCap screams, it's super bright.

Guilhan, the reeflux seems to pump out more 460nm versus the 420nm range that the Radium excels at. Yes the ATI is T5 bulb with a 460nm spike.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=6988.msg91000#msg91000 date=1237676804]

I don't know, has it been tested yet? I'm not really too concerned with PAR with the reading I've been doing lately I really don't need a super bright tank, I want it to look good and get deep colors from my corals. I have seen them side by side with different bulbs and they seemed brighter than other 20k bulbs. I also think they vary greatly depending on the ballast. At Chris's he's got two side by side and the one on the IceCap screams, it's super bright.

Guilhan, the reeflux seems to pump out more 460nm versus the 420nm range that the Radium excels at. Yes the ATI is T5 bulb with a 460nm spike.
[/quote]

Thanks.

I think I remember Ian saying that Aquatic Collection might have some good deals on the Reeflux 20k bulbs. I might pick up a set on the East Bay LFS tour and compare them to the Radiums.

I concur with Jeremy.

The 12k Reeflux suck in par and the last I heard the jury was still out on the 20k on par. I hear good things about the 20k though

Even though I've not seen the 12ks and the 20ks side by side, I was very impressed with the overall brightness of the 20k, the 12k I felt like I was waiting for it to warm up when it was fully lit.

I am currently running three 250 watt 12K reeflux bulbs on Ice Cap Ballasts and like the color but hate the slow growth, when I set up my new tank it will have two 110 watt 72" VHO's mounted to my light bar like benjamins set up, what is the new HOT bulb? I'm also needing advice on bulb choices.

Thank's guys,
Mark

Come see my tank Mark I am running 400W radiums with t5 actinics. Lots of people are raving about the 14K EVC bulb. I am ordering a couple to try out.

Back