Our mission

2500 gallon Koi pond

JAR

I am thinking about doing something like this in my front yard entry area.
24"x200"x48'' (approx)
Any thoughts?

Definitely research depth. A rectangular shape would be very formal. A free form pond would be more "natural", depending upon the look you want. I always like the small pond in T's mom's backyard. Nice sound and attracted birds. Wish I could do one at our house, but the house and lot wouldn't make it easy (without an addition).

I seem to recall you saying that you have sea water pumped up to the yard. If it was me I would make a temperate tidal pool tank with bat stars, purple urchins and a few crabs. Surge device for refilling.

Waaay more interesting! (Maybe I am just koi averse).

I have a lovely book on ponds that my wife gave me, my first thought is that natural looking was perfect, but there are so many "formal" ponds that made me think that would look equally awesome. When it comes down to it you need to figure out a style you're looking for. Would your long skinny pond be up against a house? Or used as a border for something? completely in ground or partially above?

I had a small pond a while back, where I basically had plants in it (whatever ones Home Depot would seasonally sell) one day all of them were ripped to shreds, I suspect raccoons that were looking for fish that did not exist, and that was the last of my pond days.

What size koi are you planning to keep? Well, plan on 4'x16x 4' would be best so you can grow them out to 2'. Also, if planning water fall, add on another 4-5 ft for skimmer/biological water fall and bead filter. You can max out to 5-7 koi ranging from 10"-22".

Exciting :)
Remember to be careful with water and small kids - I forgot how old they were but I know you have a couple running around

iCon said:
Exciting :)
Remember to be careful with water and small kids - I forgot how old they were but I know you have a couple running around
They wear life jackets 24/7. You can't be too careful these days :D

it's lookin' like 2500 gallons :)
photobucket-5998-1360715762596.jpg

Back