Jestersix

250w HQI bulb

Beginning to consider what type of bulb I am going to use on my cube tank.
Does anyone have an recommendations as to what type of bulb I should get?
I will not be using any actinic supplementation.
I don't like the of the Phoenix 14k as a stand alone bulb because everything becomes way too blue for me, but I still want something nice and crisp.
Post a picture of a tank running the bulb you recommend if you can! Thanks!

I like the Ushio 20k, white with a little purple. It's very easy to supplement too as it couples well with a bulb that has a 460nm spike.

Do you have a picture of a tank using an Ushio 20K bulb? It sounds really pretty! I don't plan on using any actinic supplementation though - only light over the tank will be the pendant

For my preference for ushio 20k (what I use as well) it looks much better with the supplementation. If you look at my frag tank thread, I use the ushio 20ks on that tank with 4x54 t5ho.

I think I may go with an Ushio 14k ... found some pictures of it, and it looks pretty spiffy.
I took a look at your frag tank build thread iani, and I like the metal arch to hang the pendant from. Is it made from electrical conduit?

There's going to be no blue with 14k Ushio. Ushios tend to run "warm" meaning whiter than their rating. The arch in my thread is made from electrical conduit.

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=4849.msg59166#msg59166 date=1224136017]
iani, do you have a picture of your tank with JUST the Ushio 20K running?
[/quote]Go to Aquatic Gallery, they have a few running there with 460 nm supps ;)

Its hard to see it in pictures. Most time pictures come out bluer than reality. You should go and see it in person. For me growth is pretty good with ushio 20ks.

So the Ushio 14k comes out with more white than blue...
And the Ushio 20k comes out a crisp white with a tint of purple ... does it do a good job of bringing out the colors of the corals?

Anyone have any feedback on the XM 15k DE bulbs?

I've heard nothing but bad things (no personal experience) with the 15K XM. Something about them being very dim and really low par.

[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=4849.msg59317#msg59317 date=1224218714]
tuberider - I forgot to ask; how is the PAR/growth with the Ushio 20k?
[/quote]Excellent growth IME, not sure about PAR.

The XM 15k is a turd.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4849.msg59340#msg59340 date=1224255264]
[quote author=A_Lee link=topic=4849.msg59317#msg59317 date=1224218714]

[/quote]Excellent growth IME, not sure about PAR.

The XM 15k is a turd.
[/quote]

Ah, point taken :)
So last question - Obviously the Ushio 20K looks better with supplementation (a lot of bulbs do); but would the Ushio 20K look good as a stand alone in your experience?

It depends on what kind of lighting you like. Each person has their preference. I like my tank a little more blue than the ushio 20k. I have yet to find a 250 de bulb that I like as a stand alone bulb. I know a lot of people the the phoenix 14k but to me that bulb washed out a lot of color. I hated it.

Yeah I feel like the 14K Phoenix makes things TOO blue - it's just an okay bulb to me.
The Ushio 20K isn't blue like that is it? Has more white?

Back